WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Jetboil Zip problem

Hey everyone,

I'd been meaning to get a Jetboil for a long time and now that I finally did it, I got overly excited and tried it on with an empty cup... big mistake...
    So there's about a 1/4 inch ring at the bottom of the sleeve where the neoprene half melted onto the cup. So there's a 1/4 in ring of super hard
    neoprene seemingly stuck to it forever. I'd really like your opinion on whether there's any danger to this. Given normal use, might that hard substance
    catch fire or something? What about the ring on the sleeve itself which still has the exterior half of neoprene but lost its inner half?

Thanks a lot
    A sad hiker

P.S. Replacement cozy not found in Canada

Buy a new cozy directly from JetBoil.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Jetboil doesn't seem to offer international shipping. But I did find one version of the 0.8L cozy from a Canadian retailer, which I will probably get.
    However my worry is more about the hardened black ring near the base of the cup then about the cozy itself.
    Thanks for your quick reply

than*
    Yeah, even tried using a file to remove this and it's a nogo.

Images

If it won't just chip off cold, you might try removing it using the same process that got it there in the first place. Heat it up to the point where the inside of the neoprene ring starts to melt and be ready to pull off the big chunks of the ring with a pair of pliers, and have a few rags handy to wipe off whatever residue you can. Gloves (NOT synthetic) would be recommended. Alternatively, a dremel tool with a grinding wheel or burr might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporky View Post
    Hi Wayne,

Jetboil doesn't seem to offer international shipping. But I did find one version of the 0.8L cozy from a Canadian retailer, which I will probably get.
    However my worry is more about the hardened black ring near the base of the cup then about the cozy itself.
    Thanks for your quick reply
    I was very pleasNTLY SURPRISED BY THE helpful and gracious lady I spoke to in JetBoil customer support. Give them a call and see if you can't get a replacement cozy mailed to you. It can't hurt.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Update:

The melted part of the cozy that is on the cup is hard as a rock and is kinda like industrial glue, it's just stuck there forever. I tried very hard with hot water, soap and a brush but it will not go away.
    I emailed Jetboil and the response was positive - the lady said they'd send me a cozy free of charge (even though it clearly states in the instructions not to do what I did).
    I think that won't happen because I'm in Canada, however... lol... But yes, definitely lovely customer service considering the circumstances.
    She said that all one can do to remove the melted cozy is soap and brush and a lot of effort. Anything more would probably wear off the anodized coating.

Anyhow, I'm pretty confident (though unfortunately not 100%) that the neoprene residue on the cup won't affect anything going forward. It's inert as hell and even holding a lighter to it doesn't seem to do anything.
    Fingers crossed.
    My cozy was not that affected, but I already have the one colour available in Canada on its way to me.

It just kinda broke my heart because I placed so much hope in this product after seeing basically all the thruhikers with it and I almost self-destructed it on arrival. Lol :P

Here's a picture for you guys. I like to think it could be a lot worse. Besides, the protective plastic cup still slides on perfectly.
    jetboil.jpg

Happy trails everybody

Just leave it as is or scrape it off with a knife. Scratching the anodized surface on the outside will have absolutely zero effect on stove performance.

Darn lucky you didn't melt the fins of the flux ring and totally destroy it.

As you now know, never-never-never run the stove without water in the pot. And that goes for any pot, any stove, any fuel.

I’m glad you got a replacement.
    High marks again for JetBoil customer service!
    Cheers!
    Wayne

After some more talking with Jetboil they're going to send me a whole replacement cup! YAY! Even though it was my fault and it said not to do what I did in the instructions. So awesome. YMMV, lol.

Great! I had a similar experience with JetBoil Customer Service. They really want satisfied customers!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Just leave it as is or scrape it off with a knife. Scratching the anodized surface on the outside will have absolutely zero effect on stove performance.

Darn lucky you didn't melt the fins of the flux ring and totally destroy it.

As you now know, never-never-never run the stove without water in the pot. And that goes for any pot, any stove, any fuel.
    Use a razor blade instead of a knife. If your careful, it should not damage the coating. Kind of like scraping old glue off of a window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Use a razor blade instead of a knife. If your careful, it should not damage the coating. Kind of like scraping old glue off of a window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Or—based on the photo above—just leave it as is and move on. It isn't going to affect stove performance.

This is more along the lines of "I made a boo-boo with my brand new gear and I want it to be brand new again."

No matter, JB sent a new one so now OP has a back-up.

Just wait 'til the piezo lighter stops working in 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - ............

++ New Posts ++