WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hikers and egos

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Every board needs a big toe or two.

Easy to ignore if it ruffles your feathers. No ear plugs or head phones required.

Yeah, like a Sgt Hulka.

most to blame

-

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    One of the most thrilling things on the A.T. is happening upon a thru-hiker at a shelter or pic-a-nic table holding forth, they just have an air of majesty about them....
    if you want to call the bad smelling air around them "majesty"

Hear you though. If my intentions were perceived as they sometimes incorrectly are on WB and I mis-interpreted others letting that atmosphere fester someone would be getting thrown into the campfire. It's vastly miscommunication. Then, letting it escalate. Be the bigger person. On the other hand if someone is intentionally being a complete d bag to your family or acting totally clueless a hole...be the bigger man. The fire awaits.

People say things on the phone or on the internet that they would never say to you face to face. Anonymity and distance makes some people feel brave and fearless when in reality they are just gutless with nothing better to do than jerk the chain of someone they never have to face in person.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Oh, oh how I want to meet face to face with them. If I eventually catch up with those gutless a holes who throw a thing at me when walking along the side of a road or while hitching or biking I might be posting on WB from a prison cell. All those Big Gulps, handfuls of loose change, McDonald's shakes, ice creams thrown at me and intentionally swerving at me experiences might cummulatIvely rise to the surface having me pulling them from the vehicle in a vendetta kind of mood. Just once. Then, maybe if my reverse road rage beat down goes viral on social media more gutless a wipes we'll think twice before doing it to others.

WB mini rants save on therapy visits.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Oh, oh how I want to meet face to face with them. If I eventually catch up with those gutless a holes who throw a thing at me when walking along the side of a road or while hitching or biking I might be posting on WB from a prison cell. All those Big Gulps, handfuls of loose change, McDonald's shakes, ice creams thrown at me and intentionally swerving at me experiences might cummulatIvely rise to the surface having me pulling them from the vehicle in a vendetta kind of mood. Just once. Then, maybe if my reverse road rage beat down goes viral on social media more gutless a wipes we'll think twice before doing it to others.
    While I'm angry on your behalf that those things happened to you, I'm also surprisingly offended that someone would waste a milkshake like that.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wow, you've done way more hiking than I have but I've yet to experience anything like that.... that's terrible.

I'm glad I live up in the woods of the northeast where people are mostly nice.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DBOW! View Post
    I totally get the HYOH thing but it seems on here if you ask a simple question
    It doesn't take long before you get ripped a new one
    What gives. I will end up slugging someone if they talk to me on the trail like they do on here
    Am I out of line in feeling this way? I love the site and most of the post!
    People like to help those that help themselves

People get snarky when somebody shows lack of willingness to do this. Like....look for answer to common questions, before asking it.

I don't think ego has anything to do with it. In fact often the most experienced people are actually the most humble. After all it's just walking.

Some simple things are answered faster and easier just by using Google.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-16-2018 at 23:03.

It's the non face to face medium of communication most and current self absorbed insensitivities to blame, not WB in itself. Internet and non facial communication in itself leads to clear communication difficulties.
    Whazzat supposed to mean?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Texas Bob posted about the cause of inflated insensitivities...non face to face communication. It's rampant on opinion based social media across a wide range of topics.

Since about 55 % of communication is physiology when its taken out of conversations or encounters it affects communication or relations, often negatively. It leads to greater unintentional disagreements or things being communicated that normally wouldn't in face to face communication.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

There are plenty of people on the trail to give their opinions and annoy you. That is why I hike solo, and I hike against the herds. As far as this internet forum goes, its an internet forum, I don't know of a single one that isn't full of argumentative people. Perhaps relax a little.

Texas Bob posted about the cause of inflated insensitivities...non face to face communication. It's rampant on opinion based social media across a wide range of topics.

Since about 55 % of communication is physiology when its taken out of conversations or encounters it affects communication or relations, often negatively. It leads to greater unintentional disagreements or things being communicated that normally wouldn't in face to face communication.
    I don't know what ur trying to say but I definitely don't agree with ya.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

WB is a pretty doggone raggedy forum. This is partly because people in their 50s and 60s are so common (including me). We have lived long enough to have firm opinions based upon experience. Apparently, folks our age don't tolerate other opinions too well. And we seem to be grouchy too.

I'm not on Facebook or any other social media (hey, I don't have a cell phone or any other communications device either), so I'm not familiar with the decorum in other places, but this place is far more raw than some other forums I hang out in. Bird watchers, for instance, must be naturally gentle souls. And, believe it or not, I hang around a World War II forum with historians from all over the world and they are gentle folks.

But WB? Pffft. Last autumn's "Incident in Damascus" had to be the worst thread I've seen on WB since I started hanging around 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    I hear you! I had a 30 min lecture once by a “thru hiker” I met at hawk mountain shelter about why everything I was doing was wrong. I had just gotten out of an orthotic knee high boot after recovering from a nasty foot fracture, and was wearing a full boot. I needed the support at that time! He had brand new everything from rei and was eager to explain all his choices and why each was “the only intelligent option”. I was obviously unprepared because my pack was 25 lbs with 4 days food. His was about 45 lbs. What a jerk.

Dont let the jerks and *ssh@les get you down. People secure in themselves don’t worry about what their neighbors are doing. If you ask a reasonable question you will get many well thought out answers, a few trolls, and at least one hijack of a useful thread. It is the internet.

Enjoy the joy, embrace the suck and welcome to white blaze,
    I am 100 percent sure that i'm going to be picked apart by at least one pontificating hiker type up on Springer due to everything from physical condition to footgear to everything in between. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen as it'll shake my firm belief that no matter what the situation and/or terrain, you WILL find a grade A self righteous jerk.

My personal take on those types....You damn well better be walking on water all the way up to Katahdin and if you pull out, you better hope to hell i don't get further up trail than you did as i will never cease to break your balls over it. Lord help you if you see a picture of my mug next to the Sign of Signs.

Heading into all this, the only thing i can bring into a discussion with a certain expertise before we head out up trail is the matter of coping with and tolerating really crappy everyday living conditions and carrying on. Anything else (except for some of Shenandoah NP and a part of NJ/ NYC) i'll keep my mouth shut.
    BR360
    "no one is a thru-hiker, until they have done the whole AT."

Journal Entries

It goes both ways.
    Some of the most annoying abrasive people were neophytes.
    Insisted that they could do things their own way
    No matter how ridiculous .
    Really, really, ridiculous.

And occasionally succeeded. Winning hearts in process. While becoming a bit of a trail Legend.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...l=1#post173995

FL000024 (1).jpg

Should be required reading for all.

You have to go back and read much of Minnesota's 3000 + posts to understand just how controversial the guy was and how outrageous his thoughts on hiking were and life in general. He carried many liters of bottled water even when not needed, he carried several rolls of toilet paper at any time he was scared to run out, he covered every square inch of his body to keep the sun off. He carried clothing for" date night.".

And he succeeded.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-17-2018 at 05:07.

Journal Entries

Originally Posted by Dogwood
    It's the non face to face medium of communication most and current self absorbed insensitivities to blame, not WB in itself. Internet and non facial communication in itself leads to clear communication difficulties.

Exactly!

This is a thread about miscommunication. Dogwood, Alligator pointed out a relatively minor example of your signature style of miscommunication. I imagine it comes across okay face-to-face, but here on WB I sometimes shake my head at your posts and say "huh? what was that?????"

What is it exactly? Something about stringing together several stream-of-consciousness whether they're helpful or not verbose in excessive quantity torturous twists of vaguely referential sub-logical reasoning where are you going with this I can't remember where you started please just state your point so I can make it out oh God this is exhausting - phrases.

You're a good guy, I'm not slamming you, just givin' a lil' feedback. I know you pay attention because you USED TO POST with all sorts of EXCESSIVE EMPHATIC EMPHASIS, and you've stopped doing that. Love ya!

You guys should check out a pilot forum sometime. Start with AOPA's "Redboard"

If you're fortunate enough not to be an AOPA member, then check out the Blueboard where you don't need to sign in to view posts.

Personally, I like the Purple Board.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++