WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Hikers and egos

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    On the related subject of egos on WB vs other sites, I've realized that in the last 24 hours I've been blocked by at least two people on the Facebook section hiker's group for very politely trying to explain that their basic assumptions about black bears. During the conversation the same two people also blocked a well known hiker (ajd then bragged about it) for making comments about food storage techniques that would have been considered non-controversal on this site. It just adds to my personal opinion that WB isn't perfect, but for the internet it's pretty darn good.
    Got a link to the FB thread about black bears? Sounds like good reading.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Got a link to the FB thread about black bears? Sounds like good reading.
    Let me know if this works:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/179997...nt_filter&_rdr
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Got it, thanks! That really went sideways with a couple of people, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    How exactly does giving somebody prudent advice make you better than them, especially when they asked for the advice in the first place?

Lack of funds is one of the top reasons that people abort their thru hikes and the average amount of money spent if fairly well known. When someone with no experience comes here and asks for advice on how to thru hike on a quarter of the budget that most experienced hikers can manage then "get more money" is a realistic and appropriate answer. I know that several times in my life while full of foolish enthusiasm I've tried to get involved in something without appropriate knowledge of what I'm doing. Having someone pull me aside to tell me "hey kid, you don't realize what you're getting yourself into." might not have been what I wanted to hear at the time, but it has saved me from both financial and literal ass-kickings on several occasions.

I agree that sometimes the tone of people's responses could use some improvement, but warning someone who doesn't know better that they are making a bad decision doesn't automatically make somebody a snob.
    I'm just sayin......because I warn ya doesn't mean I don't like ya. It just means.....ya needed warning. Sorry if I don't sugar coat things. Not my style...

Ya know, when ya think about it, all on-line entity’s have inflated egos, Yeah?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++