WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hooded Down Jacket recommendations?

This thread was inspired by Patagonia's 50% off sale. (Yes, I used the search function to browse other threads like this one.)

I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on the Patagonia men's Ultralight Down Hoody - 50% off makes is $174.
    http://www.patagonia.com/product/men...ody/84767.html

This jacket is attractive to me because of the light weight and my belief that is is more durable for backpacking than the Patagonia's Micro or Nano, and weighs not much more, listed at 10.5 oz.

Any other suggestions? I recently retired a much more economical jacket: a Uniqlo Down Parka that cost around $70 and lasted for a few seasons. Very similar to this one: https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-ult...oaAlT5EALw_wcB
    It worked for what I needed, but the zipper always seemed dicey, and there is no fill-rating. I'd like a more permanent, reliable, and higher quality jacket.

Factors worth considering:
    -a couple hernias have made UL a top priority
    -first trip will be in Southern VA in late March
    -mostly will be used in CO
    -the jacket will be primarily for in-camp; rarely worn with the backpack
    -the Patagonia jacket's onsale price is the very top of my budget

WB has been a great source of HQ equipment recommendations and great deals. I'm interested in what you folks might suggest.

I would be most interested in the amount of down inside the actual jacket and less concerned with the overall weight of the thing. My winter parka has 15ozs of goose down and keeps me warm on all my winter trips.

Many companies don't list this number so it's hard to get; or they are embarrassed about the little amount they use.

I want a down jacket to offer serious warmth. The hooded Patagonia Fitzroy suits me at 1 1/2 pounds and warmth for sub zero weather in camp. Frankly, I regard thin down jackets as silly, given the tiny amount of fill in them.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    This thread was inspired by Patagonia's 50% off sale. (Yes, I used the search function to browse other threads like this one.)

I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on the Patagonia men's Ultralight Down Hoody - 50% off makes is $174.
    http://www.patagonia.com/product/men...ody/84767.html

This jacket is attractive to me because of the light weight and my belief that is is more durable for backpacking than the Patagonia's Micro or Nano, and weighs not much more, listed at 10.5 oz.

Any other suggestions? I recently retired a much more economical jacket: a Uniqlo Down Parka that cost around $70 and lasted for a few seasons. Very similar to this one: https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-ult...oaAlT5EALw_wcB
    It worked for what I needed, but the zipper always seemed dicey, and there is no fill-rating. I'd like a more permanent, reliable, and higher quality jacket.

Factors worth considering:
    -a couple hernias have made UL a top priority
    -first trip will be in Southern VA in late March
    -mostly will be used in CO
    -the jacket will be primarily for in-camp; rarely worn with the backpack
    -the Patagonia jacket's onsale price is the very top of my budget

WB has been a great source of HQ equipment recommendations and great deals. I'm interested in what you folks might suggest.
    In what temperature range do you plan to use this coat?

If you need something that will get you down to 0°F (or even 30°F, with low activity level) the Patagonia doesn't seem adequate.

I have an Eddie Bauer down coat from their First Ascent line and have used it a lot, now wrapping up its 3rd winter season and it is still going strong. Not the absolute lightest, but it compresses nicely and has been quite durable. On sale now for $149.

Journal Entries

For camp temps in 20s, 4-5 oz of fill.

Montbell Alpine light works if can get past the sickening colors they currently have.

The frost smoke has a little less fill but a little more features . the hood is made for climbing helmet and is huge of course.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-18-2018 at 00:29.

You can skip the campsite down jacket altogether with a wearable quilt like the JRB Sierra quilt/serape series. They can be warmer than an equivalent weight down jacket do a mitten effect - ie, sitting cross-legged with all limbs inside - but of course a bit more bulk/restrictive movement.

Late March in VA you're likely experiencing wet weather in the form of rain, some snow, some sleet. Protect your down. Don't know about the Uniglo down jacket but the Pat Down Hoody has a decent shell with decent DWR in the Pertex Quantum so you have a head start in protecting down loft. I like down for CO but not as much for the southeast and mid Atlantic AT in spring. At this time I prefer an UL synthetic.

Different amounts of down in the Pat Hoody based on size. They already offered good down stats but contact them for amt of down based on your size. That's a common thing not to post in all size options. Pat emails me usually within 24 hrs.

Currently, the Pat Micro is indeed a UL piece. The Pat Nano IMO is a light wt piece. These are both synthetics. IMO I don't see the Pat Down Hoody being all that much less fragile than the Nano. I have both with 1000's of miles and who knows how many days. Currently, as an ULer and willing to layer up to 4 torso pieces of individually lighter wt less bulky layers than heaver bulky layers in a 3 layer system I'm heavily eyeballing the new Pat Micro. I don't see why a Pat Nano should be absolutely avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Late March in VA you're likely experiencing wet weather in the form of rain, some snow, some sleet. Protect your down. Don't know about the Uniglo down jacket but the Pat Down Hoody has a decent shell with decent DWR in the Pertex Quantum so you have a head start in protecting down loft. I like down for CO but not as much for the southeast and mid Atlantic AT in spring. At this time I prefer an UL synthetic.

Different amounts of down in the Pat Hoody based on size. They already offered good down stats but contact them for amt of down based on your size. That's a common thing not to post in all size options. Pat emails me usually within 24 hrs.

Currently, the Pat Micro is indeed a UL piece. The Pat Nano IMO is a light wt piece. These are both synthetics. IMO I don't see the Pat Down Hoody being all that much less fragile than the Nano. I have both with 1000's of miles and who knows how many days. Currently, as an ULer and willing to layer up to 4 torso pieces of individually lighter wt less bulky layers than heaver bulky layers in a 3 layer system I'm heavily eyeballing the new Pat Micro. I don't see why a Pat Nano should be absolutely avoided.
    I've been thinking about a synthetic garment for my thru.

I have my eyes either on the EE Torid (UL) or a I can score an Arc'teryx Leaf Atom Hoody at work for $169, couple ounces heavier.

Which would you go for?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

When are you starting? Are you more of a camper or hiker?

Wt is vastly different if that matters. I've only one experience with Climashied Apex, a EE quilt. I have several Arch Ter pieces tending to reserve them for very abrasive terrain and expedition type activities where durability and consistent reliable performance I prioritize - climbing, mountaineering, remote Alaskan/Patagonia type stuff. They are a prestige piece worn off trail too. For the AT with a late Feb/early/mid Mar start being a firm ULer wanting a 4 layer system(each layer being UL, thin, very compressible) offering great diversity desiring multi use pieces(worn as much as possible on the move and in camp) being more of a hiker than a camper I'd prolly go for the EE Torid. You'd prolly get more AT NOBO use out of the lighter wt less bulky EE Torid. If you expect to expand your adventures hiking out west at elev or in Europe, S. America, or in deep frigid winter conditions that you don't mind working into your AT kit grab the Leaf Atom. But that's me and the why's. Price is a factor for most but if you can score a AT Leaf Atom Hoody for that price umm...???...can you get me one for that price?

Images

I bought the Patagonia ultralight jacket (i.e. without the hood) last year during a sale. I took it on a few fall trips and found that it kept me toasty warm on cooler nights. Also used the jacket during an extra cold night / camp location and was happy to have the extra warmth.

I've no experience with the jacket during winter weather. Suspect that I would want something warmer and have my eyes set on a FF Helios with 7.8 oz of 850.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    When are you starting? Are you more of a camper or hiker?

Wt is vastly different if that matters. I've only one experience with Climashied Apex, a EE quilt. I have several Arch Ter pieces tending to reserve them for very abrasive terrain and expedition type activities where durability and consistent reliable performance I prioritize - climbing, mountaineering, remote Alaskan/Patagonia type stuff. They are a prestige piece worn off trail too. For the AT with a late Feb/early/mid Mar start being a firm ULer wanting a 4 layer system(each layer being UL, thin, very compressible) offering great diversity desiring multi use pieces(worn as much as possible on the move and in camp) being more of a hiker than a camper I'd prolly go for the EE Torid. You'd prolly get more AT NOBO use out of the lighter wt less bulky EE Torid. If you expect to expand your adventures hiking out west at elev or in Europe, S. America, or in deep frigid winter conditions that you don't mind working into your AT kit grab the Leaf Atom. But that's me and the why's. Price is a factor for most but if you can score a AT Leaf Atom Hoody for that price umm...???...can you get me one for that price?
    Well the leaf is the heavier model over than regular "civilian" model. It has a heavier outer fabric and I guess some extra features like pathways for communication equipment, etc. All the instructors I work with rock them. Just seemed a bit on the heavier side for a midlayer. Starting nobo in April. I like how you considered other terrains and hiking though. I should probably score a Leaf while I still can. It's not exactly an UL hiker piece, but definitely worthy of being on the trail. No need to question Arc'teryx's guarantee either.

I'm starting in April. Nobo. Don't like being cold. Cold weather baseweight hovering around 12lbs with comfort.

Was gonna have a long sleeve baselayer, 1/4 zip fleece pullover, wind shirt, Atom LT hoody, Rain shell for the top.

As to the camper/hiker thing. I'm more of a hiker. But every so often I spend some time in camp.

Now I just gotta decide what color to get. Black, green, or gray....

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Well the leaf is the heavier model over than regular "civilian" model. Just seemed a bit on the heavier side for a midlayer. Starting nobo in April. I like how you considered other terrains and hiking though. I should probably score a Leaf while I still can. It's not exactly an UL hiker piece,...

Don't like being cold.

Was gonna have a long sleeve baselayer, 1/4 zip fleece pullover, wind shirt, Atom LT hoody, Rain shell for the top.

As to the camper/hiker thing. I'm more of a hiker
    You already know. You don't have to be an ULer to know the leaf is too heavy in terms of wt, bulk, and warmth for a mid layer piece...with what you're already carrying if you're able to bring all/most of your layers to bear...in camp or on the go for an April start.

Warmth is maintained by keeping moving. In camp hit up a few shelters/lean to's or use your set up tent and sleeping bag/quilt for added warmth/protection if needed in the early going. Accessories - light gloves, hat/beanie, warm dry socks (in the beginning), chemical disposal heat packs, warmed water bottles, jumping Jacks etc round out the thermoregulation equation. It doesn't have to be a heavy very warm mid layer in a silver bullet affair that backs you into a corner of limited usage diversity or camper centric approach.

If you take the leaf it will not be used much before you send it home if you take the other gear you listed.

I get your dilemma though. It's hard to walk away from good deals on bomber layers like Arc teryx. How about treating yourself? Get both...the leaf for mainly work with opps for trail/outdoor activity use, the torid as a lighter layer. Heck, you could think of it this way. You're not paying retail for the leaf, at a $100 savings. Roll that into the torid purchase making that less. That's how you justify it to the wife.

Images

I had the Patagonia down hooded pullover, a very nice piece. I don't think they make it anymore. I traded that and a Micropuff pullover for a Western Mountaineering down hooded jacket.

I like having a lightweight down jacket, preferably with a hood. The Patagonia is nice, especially on sale, but I think the Montbell are the sweet spot for performance vs price, especially if found on sale. My light down jacket is warmer than a fleece pullover or jacket, more wind resistant, packs down smaller, works better as an adjunct to my quilt or bag at night, and the hood takes the place of a warmer hat. I carry it even in the summer in cooler conditions (up north) - on the Long Trail my down jacket and my 45-F quilt were the perfect combo for chilly nights and sitting around camp in the morning.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I carried the Patty UL hoody for the entire AT. I love the thing, still wear it all the time.

For me it’s good down to low 30s in a tee shirt before I need to layer up. I wore it in camp most nights.

Lots of other people like the Ghost Whisperer from mountain hardware - it’s an ounce or two lighter and I’ve heard a few ppl claim slightly warmer.

I think the extra ounces are in the fit - the GW fits me like a glove, like it was tailored and I loved it buttttt the patty is longer and I can make it cover my butt, which is lovely and something people don’t mention when comparing the two.

Montbell is fantastic, also.

I’d say prioritize by what fits you, price, then weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Just another vote on these various brands.... I tried the Patagonia LW down jacket, it just didn't fit me. I can't remember the model, but it flared out at the bottom way too much. Since this Patagonia experiment, I bought my first Montbell and it fit me like a glove, since then I've bought a couple more (one UL down jacket, one UL hooded down jacket and one synthetic down jacket). I also have a Ghost Wisperer down vest, which fits me well, just like the Montbells.

Basically what I'm saying is that for me, it was all about the fit. If you haven't already, make sure you try these on first before buying. I realize you found a screaming deal, and I understand the draw.... been there myself many times. Sometimes these deals work out, other times not, I'm batting maybe .500 on screaming internet deals.

Thanks for all the replies & thoughts.

I just purchased a Torrid Apex hooded jacket from Enlightened Equipment. Holy moly am I excited...

++ New Posts ++