WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default 9 am and 4 pm classes for thru hikers at amicalola falls from now until may ...

there will be classes about hiking the trail and no trace at amicalola falls . they will be at 9 am and 4 pm everyday and will be taught by a ridge runner . the atc is really encouraging thru hikers to start at amicalola and listen to what they have to say . thank you .. peace my friends and hike safely ...

Registered User TheMidlifeHiker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thefurther View Post
    there will be classes about hiking the trail and no trace at amicalola falls . they will be at 9 am and 4 pm everyday and will be taught by a ridge runner . the atc is really encouraging thru hikers to start at amicalola and listen to what they have to say . thank you .. peace my friends and hike safely ...
    Are they running into April?

That's like having a LNT class for driving I 95 from GA to ME.

Images

yes .. they will be going until mid may . it is called the start well program and is focusing on teaching new thru hikers about the trail and what to expect , how to preserve the trail , bear safety , gear , and other stuff . it is basically a crash course for new hikers .

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

more power to 'em, if they can stop one person from littering, it'll be worth something

Journal Entries

Seems like the most people they're going to catch are the ones arriving by 4 p.m. who are intending to spend the night at the shelter Amicalola.

Those arriving in middle of day aren't going to hang around. How many arrive by 9 a.m.? My shuttle didn't get me there till after .

Seems limited reach for this reason. I agree with what they're trying to do of course, but only half start at Amicalola any way. Seems like they need the classes once an hour or once every two hours . Im sure they know a lot better than me when their Peak sign-in time is though, and that's taken into account.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-18-2018 at 20:16.

Images

they are trying to coordinate with shuttle drivers so they can figure out a better time to do set up the class . i'm suggesting to give us shuttle drivers a pamphlet that they can read while we are driving them to amicalola . if they do the pamphlets and have us talk to them about trail etiquette while we drive them the information will definitely make it to them . if they can touch base with some hikers and make a change that is all that counts . maybe the ones they do touch base with can make the step and pass on their new knowledge .

Quote Originally Posted by Thefurther View Post
    yes .. they will be going until mid may . it is called the start well program and is focusing on teaching new thru hikers about the trail and what to expect , how to preserve the trail , bear safety , gear , and other stuff . it is basically a crash course for new hikers .
    Cool, thanks! See you in early April.

Images

yeah , definitely ... all there needs to be is a idea and it will catch on after awhile .

Images

for sure midlife hiker .. peace my friend .. safe hiking .

classes teaching hikers to walk the trail minutes before they start it. ok

Any chance to educate people who don't know sounds like a good plan.
    ...but I would wager that most of the "rule" violators know better, they just don't care enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Any chance to educate people who don't know sounds like a good plan.
    ...but I would wager that most of the "rule" violators know better, they just don't care enough.
    I bet they sell trowels too

I love, really love the good intentions. I applaud the effort. LNT ethics make a difference but on the AT it might be called LLT - Leave Less Trace. The AT is an interstate. That's like sayin' hey buy these new tires, they make a difference, for driving I 95 from GA to ME because they leave less road marks on the road surface.

Want LNT to work on the AT hand out Uncle Jim's special Kool Aid at Amicalola Falls, institute an enforced quota system, open up AT completions/2000 mile certificates to include portions of the Pinhoti, Benton Mckaye Trails, enact larger LNT population controls, etc.

OK, that's my Bilderberg Group, Illuminati, One World System rant for today.

Is this limited to thru hikers? I believe there’s a significant amount of day and section hikers in that area who would benefit from LNT education. It would be nice to see children in the targeted audience as well.

That’s awesome.

Last year they were helping hikers with pack shake downs by the arch. I would imagine that would continue besides the 9 and 4 classes. Not bad ideas. Might as well get them to drop the excess stuff off at the start instead of having the rangers pick it up along the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    classes teaching hikers to walk the trail minutes before they start it. ok
    so what would you suggest?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    so what would you suggest?
    Well the job of Ridge Runners is to be LNT ambassadors. They typically out there meeting and greeting and telling people how to be good hikers. As well as picking up discarded items and packing them out.

Some walk, some camp out at a shelter for a time. But they have to cover their area once per xx days. And going against the flow they meet a lot of people.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-19-2018 at 16:30.

Ohh I don't know.... maybe it's a good idea, but it's kinda like telling your kids not to forget your goulashes and remember your coat and don't step into any puddles on your way to school... other than that it strikes me as a kind of meta-social: here we are in a social getting you ready for the big social now don't forget to behave. And if you don't you'll embarrass you father.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++