WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I'm not ignorant. I just hate shoes. I will start in sandals and change it up if I have to. Also the Tarahumara regularly run on rugged mountain trails in sandals.
    https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...UaAsnSEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    I'm not ignorant. I just hate shoes. I will start in sandals and change it up if I have to. Also the Tarahumara regularly run on rugged mountain trails in sandals.
    https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...UaAsnSEALw_wcB
    Yes but they have a background of running barefoot from a very young age. How about yourself? Do you know the type of specific mountain terrain, trail/off trail character, and abrasiveness they are acuustomed to running compared to some of the harshest the AT throws at you?

Certainly there are those much experienced with hiking in sandals but that's one reason why earlier it was said what sandals can be chosen depends on the hike - trail conditions.

Just to add another plug for hiking in sandals... I have admittedly awkward shaped feet and find sandals to be much less restrictive (though the cons definitely still apply, sticks, rocks, etc). I've had really good luck with BedRock Sandals. In fact, I assume they must be coming up with a new version since they're running a sale on current models... Perhaps one without a toe strap.

Elaborate on why Bedrock sandals for the AT. I'm asking not judging.

Sure! I've just had good luck with them in terms of durability and customer service. Additionally, I never tried Chacos or Tevas so I can only offer another option I've had good luck with admitting that I can not offer a comparison review between the brands. In fact, I'm interested in this discussion to learn about the likelihood of completing a thru-hike in sandals which is my current plan (unless otherwise persuaded).

I an barefoot as often as possible. When I do wear shoes it's usually sandals. I hiked 14 miles of the Good Water trail in sandals. Pretty much wore them out. In fact most would consider them done but I'm saving them to really finish them off (as in won't stay on or the sole falls apart) at the river this summer.

But the reference to the Tara Humana someone posted only ignorant people hike in sandals

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Yes but they have a background of running barefoot from a very young age. How about yourself? Do you know the type of specific mountain terrain, trail/off trail character, and abrasiveness they are acuustomed to running compared to some of the harshest the AT throws at you?

Certainly there are those much experienced with hiking in sandals but that's one reason why earlier it was said what sandals can be chosen depends on the hike - trail conditions.
    The OP asked what type we hiked in . What sandals do you hike in ? The shoe tree at Neel gap has lots of quality foot wear that didn’t work out out for hikers. They might’ve bin better off in sandals . Teva’s have worked for me . If it didn’t work out put them in the tree at Neel gap.

thom

Which style of the Chacos seem to do best in Trail conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now my hiking is done in whatever shoes I have. I plan on trail testing some tire sandals in April.

TU BikeCandle and Grace Bowen.

I understand that Cheyou. Before posting anything myself I've read and considered all the OP's posts. The OP was also interested in the why's. Blw2 also related it was in context of hiking "most of the AT." If that's important to the OP it should be important to factor in with any post made.

Since the AT can have rough stumbling roly poly Rocksylvania type thread with high grade rocky rooty muddy descents and ascents involving trail construction in the east coast humid often wet weather with little loose pebbles and debris in the center of the tread that's different terrain than most of the CA PCT or walking on a flat beach or to the grocery store 2 miles away. That's why I think the OP Blw2 included the info he did. Just trying to answer in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    It only took about 200 miles to fracture my Distal Metatarsal wearing keen minimalist sandals. I never got a good boot and now it has healed and I can feel it on occasion. With the light weight options for trail runners, I can only see someone hiking in sandals out of ignorance. I can say this bc then I put another 200 miles on a pair of crocs, loved it but a thread on here pretty much put a kibosh on wearing those thus is how I learned about Altras.
    Yeah that stinks about the injury.
    I don't know the thread about crocs, but I've found them to be great for a trip to the mailbox but wearing them any length of time working in the yard or shopping or whatever, my feet will ache. Too squishy I'd guess.

Elaborate on why Bedrock sandals for the AT. I'm asking not judging.
    I can't say bedrock specifically....
    but sandals in general...the reasons I started this thread
    is that generally I'd rather wear my flip flops any day around town than athletic shoes or any other kind really...... so why wouldn't I want to extend that to hiking a trail? Not off trail blazing stuff so much I suppose, but....
    cooler
    lighter
    dryer
    not restrictive
    A little bit like all the advantages of trail runners over mountaineering boots.
    I'll add this, as I've mentioned before I've "day hiked" quite a bit in my flip flops. The only problems I've really had there have been on hills because my foot isn't firmly attached and want to slide out ...

Quote Originally Posted by BikeCandle View Post
    In fact, I'm interested in this discussion to learn about the likelihood of completing a thru-hike in sandals which is my current plan (unless otherwise persuaded).
    One of the youtube channels I follow, Evan's Backpacking Videos, is through hiking the AT in Luna sandals I believe... I'm really looking forward to his reports....

Thx Blw. That's all I was desiring - a give and take. I'm learning some things and offering other things.

Blw2 if you hike before me I'd love to know how it goes. I'd like to keep to sandals too. As I stated before I don't like shoes. They just never felt comfortable on my feet. If I'm forced to wear sneakers it's hard to find a pair because I need them fairly flat on the inside. Those kind have poor soles that I'm sure the At would eat in less than a day.

Did you look up the Tarahumara runners. I watched a documentary an they seem to run some pretty rugged trails in simple tire sandals. As others have pointed out they won't keep your feet warm. I have seen some designs though that you could wear socks with.
    https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product
    I read somewhere that someone put 10000 miles on their traditional strap on shoes that they made out of an old tire. They replaced the strings twice.

Over the years I had to convert from minimalist trail runners to sandals for ultrarunning. I have bunions and extra wide shoes are not enough, even Altras, which caused my move to sandals. I've used custom cut Lunas with great success, but they no longer custom cut their footbed. Since I run in sandals I also hike in sandals. Over the last 12 months I've tried many brands and styles with several day trips. I've decided for my 2018 thru to use Chicos. Since going to sandals I no longer have blisters or lose toenails which I did on many of my 100 mile races. I just keep in mind that the original pupose of the shoe was to protect the bottom of the foot. That is what a sandal does without all the extra stuff that I just don't need.

I have done some hiking in sandals, but skipped that for various reasons.
    My experiences went so far, as to avoid sandals that have an elevated rim around the footbed, because those tend to catch small stones and other debris and not let it go anytime easy.
    Using sandals that have a flat edge around the footbed you have a chance to get rid of the unwanted stuff by just tilting the foot close to vertical and flex the foot a bit.

But then, during my last desert hike I hiked and scrambled for weeks with a tough guy wearing sandals all the time, and he explained me that it took him quite a time to develope a trick how to get rid of the sand and debris right during walking, he stepped with the tip of one foot onto the heel of the other foots sandal, thus provking a loud "flopp" and catapulting the debris away.
    He said, his sandals would last way longer than any shoes he ever tried. OK, I repaired his sandals, and have to add, sandals are way easier to field-repair than shoes.

Default Do you HIKE in sandals?

I think another thing to consider if you're going to thru hike in sandals is when you're starting and the potential for ice. Unless you have a traction device that works with them or are pretty surefooted on ice, you could really get slowed down.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Yup.....

Or you look like a Bennie on the beach in Seaside NJ.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_(slang)
    Oh man, I LOVE this. I grew up on the Jersey Shore and we used to call visitors "Benny's" all the time. Now I know why!

But, to stay on topic. Sandals? I don't even own a pair of sandals, or flip-flops or even boat shoes. I like to protect my feet so I wear trail runners or hiking shoes and crank my laces down as tight as they will go. (I hate my feet slipping around.)

On the other hand, I live in upstate New York and the OP lives in sunny Florida. So there ya go.

But sandals in the woods? Man, that's just asking for trouble.
    Last edited by Knee Jerk; 02-25-2018 at 09:17.
    "Never fart in your sleeping bag."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++