WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Nemo Hornet 2P vs free standing alternatives

I am planning a thru hike on the CDT and want a lightweight tent. Does anyone have experience with the Nemo Hornet 2p? I am particularly interested in its durability and its semi-freestanding frame...i.e. is it a pain in rocky areas above tree line? All of my tents to date have been FS. I don't use hiking poles althought I will most likely take one on the CDT for snow and stream crossings....i.e. no double duty for tent poles.

I have about 30 nights or so on my Nemo Hornet 2P and have weathered some pretty good rain in it without any problem. When I first got it the material on the floor seemed pretty light but has held up great. I did not buy the footprint but instead just cut my own polycro footprint that weighs 1.8 ounces. I would not really consider it a even a semi-freestanding tent with a normal setup. But I did find a hack that if you have 2 trekking poles will make it pretty much a free standing tent. The picture below is one I found on the internet but use my trekking poles to accomplish the same thing that this person did by using a custom made tentpole.

Guess I can't post pictures. Here is the link

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/...estanding_mod/

Most, perhaps all, trekking pole supported tent companies sell poles for their tents for people who don’t use trekking poles.
    Wayne

Creative approach. Thanks for the suggestion and review. I have some tent poles from past tents that I can try. The extra space and light weight are what interests me, but not being able to stake it out in a storm could suck. Before your photo, was thinking some cord and rocks may suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by dwcoyote View Post
    I have about 30 nights or so on my Nemo Hornet 2P and have weathered some pretty good rain in it without any problem. When I first got it the material on the floor seemed pretty light but has held up great. I did not buy the footprint but instead just cut my own polycro footprint that weighs 1.8 ounces. I would not really consider it a even a semi-freestanding tent with a normal setup. But I did find a hack that if you have 2 trekking poles will make it pretty much a free standing tent. The picture below is one I found on the internet but use my trekking poles to accomplish the same thing that this person did by using a custom made tentpole.

I was thinking the same thing when I set one up in REI to compare with a copper spur.

I have to say there is nothing like settong them up and looking looking at them side by side to get a good feel for a tent.

did you go with the copper spur or the nemo? 1P or 2P? I am looking at the 2p for a bit more room especially in bad weather when I may want all my gear inside. The Hornet looks good because of the weight, but durability is a consideration too.

Both the BA and Nemo models were popular on the PCT this past year. Everyone I know rocked a 2P tent, for the 1 or 2 extra oz. the room was worth it.

++ New Posts ++