WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I don't get a cell signal on most backpack trips. I am quite happy. Unplugging for a spell is good for one's sanity

as an airplane buff, I don't mind air traffic generally. Airline stuff not so much, but the occasional GA aircraft. Still....you'll find me looking up more often than not if I hear one....
    and yes, there are lots of times when you can look to seemingly any point in the sky and see several aircraft as shown in Tipi's photo....
    BUT
    I am amazed at how often I can't see or hear even one, even on perfect smooth air and blue sky flying days....not an airliner or a cessna...nothing as far as you can see or hear. It happens a lot, i know because I look for them.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    About thirty years ago I was backpacking in Arkansas in the Ouachita mountains when several A-10's showed up and started practicing low level maneuvers. We up on the ridge and they were flying below us in and out of the valley and then up over the top of the ridge. They were close enough at times you could see the pilot. That was loud.
    You too. They droned down a resupply box for me.

Near the boundary of Volcanoes NP on the Big I I was near Pu u o o a remote VNP location...or so I thought. There were four helicopters, an UL, and a small plane circling overhead of me taking pics for 20 mins straight. It was a scene out of TopGun when Iceman was solo with no wing man totally defensive and outnumbered by the Migs.

Sounds like (pun intended) you need some UL earplugs Tipi.

I spent a cold winter night alone in Harriman last December. I knew I had solitude from other hikers. Unfortunately, non stop highway, plane and chopper noise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++