WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Maryland

Images

Default Maryland

I may be at Ft Detrick MD (near Frederick) for a few days towards the end of March attending a course during the day. All of the MD AT looks to be within about a half an hour.

I've hiked all of the AT (minus the section from Stecoah to Fontana) South of 19E and can typically do 14-20mpd. I don't mind hiking in the dark. I travel light.

Any recommendations on two or three 8-10 mile sections, parking and shuttler suggestions?
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Hit up bloomer here on WB, he is a friend of mine I met on the trail a couple times, and he has started a shuttle service in the South PA, to WV area. HE would be able to help I would think. As far as planning, at this point in your trail completion you should have a pretty good idea of what you are capable of. Do Harpers to i70 1 night, and another night do Penmar to i70. go either direction you would like its MD.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Thanks Gambit
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Images

Sitting in a hotel room near Aberdeen Proving Grounds MD watching snow fall. Quick trip report: While in Frederick MD I had Last Saturday, Sunday, and Monday evenings as potential hikes. Saturday and Monday had potential for bad weather so I didn't go (they didn't have bad wx in the end, so that sucked). Sunday after class I through together my pack and drove to Harper's Ferry, parking at the old train station South of the Goodloe Byron Memorial footbridge. I had contacted a shuttler with my plans and he reasonably pointed out some limitations based on cost and coordination (I didn't know exactly what time I would get out of class/when I could meet as well as him driving all the way there just to shuttle me 10mi up the trail). So I uber'd. Due to waiting and the shuttle itself (guy was really nice to talk to but I swear he took a scenic route; probably just my impatience) I didn't hit the trail at Gathland State Park until 1900. I took off and had about an hour of usable light/hiker twilight. It was great to be on the trail, plenty of chill in the air to keep me moving. In my regular section hiking group of buddies, we always plan some night hiking. I got in a couple of hours under headlamp. Sadly there was zero natural illum. I did share the woods with deer and raccoon amongst other glowing eyes watching me that I didn't ID. Walking the C&O canal towpath was sort of a bummer with the lack of illum. I knew the river was there, but couldn't really see it. Probably would have been beautiful with some moonlight. In case you are wondering, Applebee's in Frederick is open until midnight on Sundays. Always great to get out of fluorescent box and on the trail.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Journal Entries
    Images

Beware of the Snarly Yow!
    Quote Originally Posted by greentick View Post
    I did share the woods with deer and raccoon amongst other glowing eyes watching me that I didn't ID.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    Beware of the Snarly Yow!
    That is *bleeping* great. Thanks for sharing...

Could've been...could've been...
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

++ New Posts ++