Images

Default Wife needs pack choice help

I'm trying to help my wife, Mudpie, choose a pack. The problem is getting a pack with shoulder straps that do not dig into her boobs or inner arm and that do not cut off circulation to her arms. She has used a Granite Gear Vapor Ki in the past and had minimal relief. She picked a Gregory Jade, mostly because of the U-shaped zipper that makes it like packing a suitcase, but despite carefully ordering the pack sized for her, she is having the same issues. She is kind of Hobbit shaped, about 5' 3" tall. She's currently a bit over weight and is large busted. We are about to go to the nearest REI - three hours away - and are looking for suggestions from women who have solved similar problems.
    Thanks.
    Sailor

The ZPacks packs are very female-friendly. The shoulder straps are placed wider apart than other packs I've tried with the boob-friendly S-straps. I find that the Arc Haul doesn't pull or put pressure on my chest or shoulders like some packs do because of the Arc frame and the ability to fine tune everything completely. I like that there are three different sizes (torso length) and three different hip-belt options so finding a good fit is easier. I am only 5'5 and have the med frame with the med hip belt (modified since I am kinda boney) and adore how this pack carries compared with ULA and other internal frame packs. I actually don't carry much of the weight on my shoulders at all as the frame does a good job of transferring the weight to the hips, and thus I wear them pretty loose so there is nothing tight on my chest at all...something I found happened a lot more with internal frame packs.

They have a good return policy so if she tries it and doesn't like it it is easy to return.

Images

Thank you.
    Sailor

Journal Entries

You may want to check out ULA Packs as they offer a S-Curve strap that is design just for women.
    Blackheart

I was thinking "S" straps too.

There is now doubt the finding a pack to fit some body types requires a lot of trial. As many people on this forum surely know, women specific packs are generally designed to specifically address a number of the issues brought up by the OP and highlighted by a number of the replies. The reason I a replying in this thread is that, having spent a lot of time fitting lots of different women to a lot of different packs, the only way you will know what will work is to try them on. So, as you are doing, heading to your nearest and/or largest outfitter to push the limits of their inventory and staff expertise is an excellent idea. That being said, I've worked with big busted, short bodied women, the body type women specific packs are specifically designed for, and these women have happily ended up with a pack that I, as the expert, discouraged them from even trying on because it was a pack with none of the women's specific features she needed for comfort, BUT IT WORKED!

So, don't get trapped into only trying packs designed for "your body type". Try 'em all on that have the right torso length and keep tuning your choices as you find out how each one fails you.

P.S. It's probably a no duh, but also make sure you wear them around a few minutes with a good load in them as an uncomfortable unloaded pack can fit quite differently when loaded and visa versa.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

My wife had several Osprey women's packs, and they fit around her shoulders and, er, chest area quite well. But all were 4+ pounds. She did try many "ultralight" packs over the years, and the shoulder straps were uniformly wide and straight and cut into her arms and, er, chest.

So I finally got her to try a ULA Circuit, in the Short torso length with the S-curve shoulder straps. She wore it for a couple of weekend hikes, then a 3 week Long Trail e2e, and told me that she never even noticed the pack -- which is high praise, actually. She's used it for the last three years and loves it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I have a Granite Gear Crown 60 and I like the way the straps are shaped. That said, I'm built very differently from your wife (5'8" and not exceptionally busty) so I definitely agree with everyone who said to try them on. I ordered my pack online sight unseen because the nearest REI didn't carry many lightweight packs, more Osprey and Gregory that are 4-5 pounds. It took some tinkering to get the weight to sit properly but I find the straps very comfortable.

An option would be order a few lightweight packs from REI (that they are less likely to have in-store) and try them at home, and then return whatever you don't like when you do make the drive. I'm in the same boat, with my nearest store location about 2 hours away, so I recently did that with base layer leggings. I ordered 3 different pairs online, chose my favorite, and I will return the other two when I drive down there for my last pre-thru-hike gear run next month. REI has such great shipping/return policies that you have the chance to test things out like that.
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

I have large breasts and have completed two sections with my Deuter women's pack already. Love this pack!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    You may want to check out ULA Packs as they offer a S-Curve strap that is design just for women.
    S straps work for men too.
    Wayne

I really like my older Osprey Viva! Hard to believe it's technically "older" already...

++ New Posts ++