Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thanks, Dogwood!

I haven't chimed in on this thread until now because I'm new to the keto lifestyle.
    Started keto nearly three months ago (12-17-2017) because I was fat and not getting any better.
    Stepped on the scale last December 17th and it was reading 275 lbs.

I was disgusted at myself because my normal adult weight has been 232 lbs.
    Had been introduced to this lifestyle when I read "The Obesity Code" by Dr Jason Fung and decided to give it a try.
    It was the easiest way of eating and losing weight for me, while still feeling satiated.
    Jumped right in to just one meal a day and almost never feel hungry.

Weighed in this morning at 231 lbs...which historically has been my decades long ideal weight.
    That's 44 lbs lighter!
    Spent lots of money on lightweight gear when I really needed to focus on my own body weight instead.
    My backpack weighs 20 to 22 lbs, so I have lost the equivalent weight of two whole backpacks in this short time.

Really looking forward to my next long walk coming up soon...those hills should be easier this year.
    Pretty sure I'll be able to stay eating keto style on the trail.
    I recently paddled the entire Suwannee River and stayed kept easily. Hoping it works the same for backpacking.
    Stumpknocker
    Trail is 10.9% complete.

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    When you first go into ketosis many people feel sick.

Also known as the 'carb flu,' the keto flu is a natural reaction (almost like a feeling of withdrawal) your body undergoes when switching from burning glucose (sugar) as energy to burning fat instead. In fact, some people say the keto flu symptoms can actually feel similar to withdrawing from an addictive substance.

The keto diet was originally designed for severe epelitics.

The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control (refractory) epilepsy in children. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Normally, the carbohydrates contained in food are converted into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is particularly important in fueling brain-function. However, if there is little carbohydrate in the diet, the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass into the brain and replace glucose as an energy source. An elevated level of ketone bodies in the blood, a state known as ketosis, leads to a reduction in the frequency of epileptic seizures.[1] Almost half of children, and young people, with epilepsy who have tried some form of this diet saw the number of seizures drop by at least half, and the effect persists even after discontinuing the diet.[2] There is some evidence that adults with epilepsy may benefit from the diet, and that a less strict regimen, such as a modified Atkins diet, is similarly effective.[1] The most common adverse effect is constipation, affecting about 30% of patients—this was due to fluid restriction, which was once a feature of the diet, but this led to increased risk of kidney stones and is no longer considered beneficial.[2][3]

I'm not keto but I've thought about it and researched it.
    This is a really good explanation except for the fact that our brains LIKE burning FAT for fuel over glucose. Otherwise the human race would have never survived when early humans had very limited access to carbs due to seasonal and geographic issues.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    My take is that on any diet that restricts or vastly alters normal carb, protein, and fat intake is going to have effects.

From that, I would ask is that dietary regimen sustainstable or is it just thought of as temporary, as many taken to diet fads typically define.
    Americans do NOT have "normal carb intake." The carbs most eat are literally killing them. Causing the body to overproduce insulin and store fat which causes failure of the pancreas, creates inflammation throughout the body, and then a whole host of issues besides like elevated triglycerides, blood sugars, blood pressure, etc

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

for the OP: I would suggest you check out the fat adapted athlete group on facebook. lots of really good info to combat all the crap that's being spewed in this thread

there's also a keto backpacking group on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    This is a really good explanation except for the fact that our brains LIKE burning FAT for fuel over glucose.
    Not according to the scientific information that I've read.

"Brain. Glucose is virtually the sole fuel for the human brain, except during prolonged starvation."
    In starvation, ketone bodies generated by the liver partly replace glucose as fuel for the brain.

Source: Biochemistry. 5th edition.

Protein, as well as lactate and glycerol, can be converted to glucose, when needed, via the process of gluconeogenesis.

"Gluconeogenesis (GNG) is a metabolic process of making glucose, a necessary body fuel, from non-carbohydrate sources such as protein (amino acids), lactate from the muscles and the glycerol component of fatty acids."

Source: Ketogenic Diet Resource

Links to Gluconeogensis information via Google Scholar.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    "The Obesity Code" by Dr Jason Fung
    That's, generally, the plan I follow. He has a new book coming out at the end of the month, "The Diabetes Code."

Quote Originally Posted by stumpknocker View Post
    That's 44 lbs lighter!
    Congratulations on the weight lose!

there's also a keto backpacking group on facebook
    Thanks for the heads-up!

Images

First, there is a facebook group for ketogenic backpackers - it's nice to be among like minded people.

I'm in the process of experimenting with keto 'bars' for hiking. Cacao butter, protein powder, MCT oil powder and a few other ingredients - cacao nibs, nuts, berries etc. ( the cacao butter and mct oil powder should arrive today - I had to order them on line). We'll see what I can come up with!

Images

I should have also mentioned, I'm vegetarian, so no meats or fish for me - that would make it easier though.

Americans do NOT have "normal carb intake." The carbs most eat are literally killing them. Causing the body to overproduce insulin and store fat which causes failure of the pancreas, creates inflammation throughout the body, and then a whole host of issues besides like elevated triglycerides, blood sugars, blood pressure, etc
    ^^^ Totally agree!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++