WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'm in a trivia kinda mood. Are tomatoes fruits or vegetables? Are eggplants and peppers fruits? Are zucchini fruits or vegetables. How about cucumbers? Do they fit into keto or paleo low carb diets? What common nutrient is extremely high in all of them?
    Water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Energy providing nutrient?

Good though.

Energy providing nutrient? Good though.
    Carbs — of a very broad variety. Mono-, di-, oligo-, poly-saccharides, muco-polysaccharides, … the list goes on. The stuff of plants. The stuff of photosynthesis.

“There’s no stigma in being a botanist.”

I'm in a trivia kinda mood. Are tomatoes fruits or vegetables? Are eggplants and peppers fruits? Are zucchini fruits or vegetables. How about cucumbers? Do they fit into keto or paleo low carb diets? What common nutrient is extremely high in all of them?
    LOL. Tomatoes are actually fruits. They used to be called the "love fruit" or something like that. Evidently peppers are technically fruits as well.

You've got me stumped with all these questions. All I know is these foods don;t raise my blood sugars so I eat them. OK, tomatoes do but I eat some of them anyway. Need them on my salads.

I hope you answer your own questions for me.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    “There’s no stigma in being a botanist.”

"What a humus."
    Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    LOL. Tomatoes are actually fruits. They used to be called the "love fruit" or something like that. Evidently peppers are technically fruits as well.

You've got me stumped with all these questions. All I know is these foods don;t raise my blood sugars so I eat them. OK, tomatoes do but I eat some of them anyway. Need them on my salads.

I hope you answer your own questions for me.
    The bot knows all too well they are all ripened ovaries, seed bearing structures from flowering plants - fruits. Traillium is just playing coy with this Hort head.

As a percentage of major caloric providing macronutrients (fats, carbs, protein) breakdown in a food's total calories(not caloric density which measures calories by wt or volume), mostly complex carbs.

Good thread, lots of useful info.

Thought I'd share this, as it's been a really useful resource for me...

https://alpinescience.com/keto-backpacking/

Thanks for the link, I found it very helpful too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
    Good thread, lots of useful info.

Thought I'd share this, as it's been a really useful resource for me...

https://alpinescience.com/keto-backpacking/

I'm non combatively asking or dietary debating RockDoc. So if your diet is low carb and low fat caloric your getting a mega dose whopping of cals from protein sources? Kinda atkins keto paleo? LOL How is that high of a protein caloric diet being accomplished you advise? Can a diet high in protein be linked to causes? Is that not applying a nutrient demonizing approach?
    What the hell are you talking about? This makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonBlue View Post
    Any general suggestions/experiences with keeping keto are welcome!
    Frankly, I don't give a crap about staying keto on a long hike, and am not about to get into a diet discussion here(for hopefully obvious reasons), but read up on the "Targeted Ketogenic Diet".
    Actually thought I invented that year before last, for mountain biking and weightlifting on keto, but recently discovered it's an actual thing, with it's own little acronym and all.
    It's what I do when dropping fat, but also engaging in activities where my performance suffers due to the diet.
    In a nutshell, a reasonable amount of carbs, pre and mid activity that quickly depletes glycogen stores, isn't going to hurt anything, and can greatly enhance performance.
    Last edited by OwenM; 07-08-2019 at 07:45.

I only go for a night or two. I freeze meats, pre cooked frozen chicken, veggies. You can also get farm eggs; they don’t require refrigeration. There is also precooked bacon that doesn’t require refrigeration.

There are also Adkins type bars, no carb breads and pita.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++