WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: I hang a bear bag...

Voters
42. This poll is closed
  • 100% of the time

18 42.86%
  • 75% of the time

5 11.90%
  • 50% of the time

4 9.52%
  • 25% or less of the time

15 35.71%

Default Conducting Research: I hang a bear bag...

I hang a bear bag...

does your research account for the vagueness of the poll statement? Shouldn't it read "While in Bear Country, I hang a bear bag...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I would suggest adding an option for canisters, ursaks, bear cables and boxes
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

..........never

If there is a box, or cables or a pole high enough off ground I will use those things, how ever I prefer for it to be in my tent with me. I have never hung my food in a tree.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Always. Except when there is a box. Or at crowded shelter and everyone is just hanging off of the shelter. Or when not in bear country I hang a rodent bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hang a bag if there's an appropriate branch to use for a quality hang. Otherwise it goes under my head as a pillow.

Lacking bear box or such, all the time. I live and hike in bear country.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

I have a UrSack All-Mitey and just tie it to a tree. Never had any problems and saves time. No bear or Small tooth rodents chewing their way into the bag. I still haven't gotten the metal liner but i am considering it or may make one of my own. flipping the coin and it landed on ........ wait for it, its side.
    Blackheart

Pretty much always. I would just be so pissed to wake up and find some critter had ruined all my food. I refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I have a UrSack All-Mitey and just tie it to a tree. Never had any problems and saves time. No bear or Small tooth rodents chewing their way into the bag. I still haven't gotten the metal liner but i am considering it or may make one of my own. flipping the coin and it landed on ........ wait for it, its side.
    Definitely get the all metal liner. I was camping near Mount Mitchell over the weekend and noticed a pile of trash near our campsite early Sunday morning. Discovered a few minutes later that it was the remains of another guy's Ursack that was camping with us. I'll try to get a copy of the picture to post here, but a bear managed to rip it open and trash it thoroughly. I suspect the liner would have prevented getting the required grip to pull that off.

For what it's worth, I was camped pretty near where he'd hung his Ursack and had no trouble at all with a food bag under my head.

20180225_073144.jpg

I'm not sure how high it was initially hung, that's just what it looked like in the morning.
    Last edited by CalebJ; 03-01-2018 at 17:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    Pretty much always. I would just be so pissed to wake up and find some critter had ruined all my food. I refuse.
    Be very sure that the hang is adequate. As mentioned in my previous post, I witnessed an Ursack destroyed by a bear just a few days ago. Another guy in our group lost his food bag that was hung significantly higher, though I suspect that one went to a raccoon. It had been neatly unclipped from the line without breaking the clip.

Journal Entries

If it's easy to do good hang I will.
    If it's not, I won't.

A bad hang is worse than no hang at all every time.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Definitely get the all metal liner. I was camping near Mount Mitchell over the weekend and noticed a pile of trash near our campsite early Sunday morning. Discovered a few minutes later that it was the remains of another guy's Ursack that was camping with us. I'll try to get a copy of the picture to post here, but a bear managed to rip it open and trash it thoroughly. I suspect the liner would have prevented getting the required grip to pull that off.

For what it's worth, I was camped pretty near where he'd hung his Ursack and had no trouble at all with a food bag under my head.

20180225_073144.jpg

I'm not sure how high it was initially hung, that's just what it looked like in the morning.
    My Ursack is usually my in my hammock with me accept when in known bear country. Thar's when I tie up to a tree. The All-Mitey has a inner liner of Kevlar which adds to its overall security. Of course I have been known to use cables and bear boxes when I see then.
    Blackheart

If there's a box or cable around I hung mine, if anything to make others not uncomfortable around me (some where die hard "you MUST hang your food bag!" types). If it was only me in the area, I just slept with it in my tent and I had no issues with bog or little critters.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Images

I carry a bear can, no rocks, no ropes, no fuss, no rodents.

I voted 100% but the honest answer is around 90%. The times I don't hang are location-dependent. My faith in hanging is shot though after a bear got my bag last month (posted in Florida trail section). I have a small bear can now and will be using that going forward.

I use an Ursack so I never hang. I tie it to a tree. I hate this poll because it assumes only way to protect bears is to hang your food.

Always, but if there's a box, I'll use that. If there's good cables or good food bag pole, I'll use that. Sometimes if at a crowded, noisy shelter where everyone is just mouse hangin' off of the shelter, I've done that. When not in bear country, I'll hang a rodent bag (to include IN certain hostels....) Have even just hung if off one end of my hammock (when not in bear country of course).

u.w.

++ New Posts ++