WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Sensitive topic

Default Sensitive topic

For a hiking companion: have any men dealt with severe, not-responsive to medication, nocturnal enuresis and successfully thru-hiked? We're perusing several options, including packing briefs that profess to hold up to 10oz liquid, but then you have to deal with washing them out. Packing out depends seems impractical on a thru-hike, but I can't come up with anything else.

You may start with something like this one?
    https://www.manfred-sauer.com/en/med...inary-sheaths/

Thank you for asking the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    You may start with something like this one?
    https://www.manfred-sauer.com/en/med...inary-sheaths/
    I agree that using a condom catheter hooked to a urinary bag is the logical way to go. You can find this stuff with medical supplies or ostsomy websites. My Dad had incontinance issues after prostate cancer surgery. He used this method when hiking for overnight. He did use a small, rewashable pad for daytime small leak type incontanace tucked into his underwear. He mostly was continent while awake. To minimize irritation and improve things sticking, shave area or use depilatory foam prior to hike, then skin prep (a solution or wipes you can get that is a barrier between your skin and the adhesive foam tape that comes with the condom cath) then the adhesive with the condom cath. A small absorbent cloth with plastic beneath for potential leak accidents, minimized if you can keep tubing unlinked, thereby less pressure on system. Empty in am and rinse with water and a squirt of biological odor reducer, repeat nightly.

We worked out this system after my Dad said he couldn’t really hike anymore after his surgery. This enabled my Dad to keep hiking. Not ideal, but better than staying home. Dad mostly stayed in a tent for privacy, but even in shelters he could discreetly hook up the system. I don’t think anyone ever knew but me.

Miss my Dad, glad he didn’t let potential embarrassment keep him from enjoying life.

Thanks for for asking this question, I’m sure more people are affected than my gut be supposed.

best of luck to you! Practice at home, let us know how it works out.

Journal Entries

I think Leo has the right answer for you.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

Interesting.
    My dad started wearing depends at night in his 70s.
    I never dared mention it. He was undergoing cancer treatments, etc. I was glad he had a solution he managed himself. Wasn't a conversation I wished to have.

Good to see there's something more manageable for outdoors.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-01-2018 at 17:08.

Thank you very much, everyone. You've give us a good place to start.

++ New Posts ++