WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Maps and AT guide

Hey all,

So I've purchased the 13 map set from Nat Geo as well as the AWOL NOBO guide....

Nat Geo Maps: I'm trying to break them up and mail them to strategic points along the trail. Has anyone else purchased this map set? Unfortunately the way their bound I can't seem to justify separating pages for convenience... the whole set weights a few pounds so I don't want to carry more than 2 at a time (if necessary).

AWOL NOBO guide: How many sections are you breaking it into / where are you mailing them?

Thanks for your help!

PS>>>I like carrying physical maps so please refrain from suggesting apps or digital map copies in lieu of my plans, not so helpful

Hitting the trail from Amicalola April 11!!

Jess

I carried the nat geo maps for about 2 trips, and then I noticed that for pure AT trips they really aren't useful. They don't show distance or water sources....You would be just fine returning the nat geo maps and soley using the awol guide. the pocket maps are handy too.

https://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-T.../dp/B00FPB1IXW
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

What are you actually using the maps for..?

You don’t exactly need them to navigate.

I’d just start with the first one and see how much you use it by the time you’ve reached the end of that section and make your decision then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the same thing National Geo maps and a leafless AWOL guide... I have help at home to ship when needed so my plan is to just figure out the drop offs as I go, will have a list of post offices and the other drop locations are in the guide, also have all that info at home. I know most people will say unnecessary but they give you a good picture or the surroundings and have tons of side trails to if you plan on veering off for anything by the AT.... I made a post about places not to miss and the maps were already very helpful locating those places so I can mark them in the guide. I plan on bringing 1 at a time, not much weight and there usually 200 miles or more so... actually ill have to get a new one before one runs out so ill usually have 2 at a time. I like to actually see where I am on a map/get a good picture of surroundings and you can't beat topography maps for that, these are pretty detailed topography wise.

I do wish they didn't have the same 8-10 pages in the beginning of each set though, cause I don't feel like tearing them up.

When I broke up my AWOL guide I did it by state. Starting in HF, I had WV/PA, NJ/NY CT/MA VT/NH/ME For the southern end I'd do GA/NC and VA. I had the book version and stapled the pages together after removing them from the book. The break down I did keep each bundle small enough to staple together.

As with any mail drop, don't send it too far in advance. You need to make sure you will actually get there before sending anything.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'm not planning on needing them for AT navigation, the trail is pretty well marked. The maps show great detail on side trails, access roads and trail surroundings... you never know what your hike will bring! I also am hoping to do some hiking with friends along the way so they'll be useful for planning those routes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pii View Post
    I'm not planning on needing them for AT navigation, the trail is pretty well marked. The maps show great detail on side trails, access roads and trail surroundings... you never know what your hike will bring! I also am hoping to do some hiking with friends along the way so they'll be useful for planning those routes.
    I too carried maps for the same reasons as you did. I don't understand why people would try to talk you out of them. I always noticed that when I look at mine, no matter what trail I am on, others want to look at them as well. On same trails they are mandatory. probably not so much the AT. But they are both utilitarian and educational and would be invaluable in the event of an emergency. Why would you not carry them?

Thankfully, I took someone’s advice here and bought the AWOL guide and loaded the PDF to my iPhone.
    Now I can leave the boom at home.
    On the fence whether I’ll purchase Guthook or not.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Images

Try my app Big Hike, its free and has a complete map of the Trail and many spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by BowGal View Post
    On the fence whether I’ll purchase Guthook or not.
    If it is a cost issue that has you on the fence about Guthook, download Hikerbot. It's completely free and does the same thing Guthook does and a bit more. The Hikerbot maps download very slow, and you can pay for a faster download, but why would you? Download all the maps before you get to the trail.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

PS>>>I like carrying physical maps so please refrain from suggesting apps or digital map copies in lieu of my plans, not so helpful

Hitting the trail from Amicalola April 11!!

Jess
    I like carrying maps as well, not out of sheer necessity (on the AT), but for my own amusement. Same with the glow-in-the-dark star chart. I have some of the NAT Geo maps that I remember using thru Maine, the Whites, the Greens, and from Marion VA thru the Smokies. As far as strategic places to mail them, not to sound like an ass but, it depends on what your strategy is. Sounds like you don't want to carry more than 2 at a time. So find the spot that the second map looses the trail and have the next 2 sent there, as you would with the guide book sections. Once you are done with each section - obviously, you can either donate the map or you will want to send it home. If the latter, you may want to use the PO for receiving your new shipments instead of a business so that you can easily send off the old. (though some businesses will ship your stuff out too.) The drawback is that PO hours can be less convenient.

I always just bought maps along the way, usually sent home when thru, but gave some away if I met a hiker going the other way who wanted it. I carried the complete AT guide the whole way, partly because it also became my journal.

Good luck on your hike!

I'm using both the Nat Geo maps and the AT Guide.

The maps are in 4 sets that i'm swapping out by mail drops. IIRC...

1-Springer-Damascus
    2-Damascus-Maryland
    3-PA-NJ-NY
    4-CT to Katahdin.

The AT Guide is really great but i've always found it really helpful to look at a good map to be able to get an idea of the terrain.
    BR360
    "no one is a thru-hiker, until they have done the whole AT."

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

So I've purchased the 13 map set from Nat Geo as well as the AWOL NOBO guide....
    Nat Geo Maps: I'm trying to break them up and mail them to strategic points along the trail. Has anyone else purchased this map set? Unfortunately the way their bound I can't seem to justify separating pages for convenience... the whole set weights a few pounds so I don't want to carry more than 2 at a time (if necessary).
    AWOL NOBO guide: How many sections are you breaking it into / where are you mailing them?
    Instead of mail drops, I use a bounce box. It has dried/dehydrated food I won’t find in stores, a couple of extra tarp stakes, extra first aid stuff, extra baggies, future sections of the trail guide, stuff to take care of my feet, stuff for the shower, packing tape and shipping labels ... Mail it to first resupply. When I get there, I get a room, shower, get my box. After a trip to the grocer, I repack the food I want, and any extra goes in the box. Pull out the next section’s guide book pages and maps. Put the old ones in the box. Address the box to the next major resupply, and mail it on my way out of town.

You’ll soon figure out your pace, daily mileage, and how long it’ll take you to get to that next resupply point. If it looks like you’ll be hitting town on a weekend when P.O. is closed, mail it to the next town. More flexible, carry fewer guidebook pages, fewer maps, you don't need to coordinate with someone to send boxes, and one is less likely to become a slave to mail drops that way.

Good luck!
    LDog
    Last edited by LDog; 03-23-2018 at 07:24.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

I'll be having my wife send them from home to places to be determined as I go along. Since they are the only things being sent, there will be no box; I'm trying to save money on postage that way. The envelopes with AWOL map sections will only require first class postage. There are 10 of them, so each section is about 220 miles, and I will be having them sent (obviously) before I need the next section. I'll try to avoid going to towns that are some distance from the trail just to pick up the mailing and will plan around post office hours as well (though I may use hostels or outfitters occasionally). I will also be using guthooks app, which I love, but I realize you don't want to go that route. Ldog's bounce box idea sounds intriguing, but I would obviously have to rethink my ideas about postage. For now though, I'm just counting on town resupplies for everything else.

++ New Posts ++