WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Don’t treat your socks, it’s useless.
    Don’t worry about bugs in general.
    Spoken like someone that never had feet devoured by chiggers.

I always treat shoes and socks. Few things as miserable. Just in case.

Due diligence is all that’s required.
    Walk through some brush, check yourself.
    Give yourself a check when you’re done for the day.

There’s no practical way to treat your socks. I treated my first two pairs before I started and they wore out before it got warm enough for ticks to be an issue.

Subsequent pairs didn’t matter b cause any bug trying to crawl up my leg was quickly discovered.

Spraying them with permethrin only lasts a few washes so why bother?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh chiggers.

There’s no practical way to treat your socks. I treated my first two pairs before I started and they wore out before it got warm enough for ticks to be an issue.

Subsequent pairs didn’t matter b cause any bug trying to crawl up my leg was quickly discovered.

Can’t see chiggers.....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post

Can’t see chiggers.....

Nope. But everytime I've gotten them as an adult I looked at that high grass and knew I shouldn't be walking through it.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    Nope. But everytime I've gotten them as an adult I looked at that high grass and knew I shouldn't be walking through it.
    I walked barefoot across grass that had been cut the day before and in lees than 10 minutes the chigger had attacked like it was WWIII.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I walked barefoot across grass that had been cut the day before and in lees than 10 minutes the chigger had attacked like it was WWIII.
    Yep.

Heck, in February "Sweet Cheeks" got her trail name from Chigger attacks. She still had the marks on her in April.

Journal Entries

Ditto with the NB trail runners; 3 pair for the entire AT...awesome shoes...
    Got Darn Tough to mail me 2 new pair of socks in NY...
    Went with a non-inflatable sleeping pad (thermorest) for final third of trail, Pawling to Katahdin. Inflatable was really worn, and didn't want a breakdown up north in the middle of nowhere...
    Applied permethrin three times....Springer, Pearisburg, and Pawling.
    New pair of Columbia hiking pants in Pawling because of holes in crotch and butt...(sliding down various rock faces...).

I get tired of wearing a shirt before it wears out.
    I got holes in my nike shorts before they wore out although the between the legs area was getting a little ratty looking
    1 pair of shoes for every 500 miles
    2 pair of socks last me give or take 500 miles but I replace them prior to them being flat worn out
    I get a new hat once a year, that is a little way I track year to year hiking pictures at a glance
    Trekking poles could last 10,000 miles or 5 miles.
    I put about 2500 miles on my Henry Shires Stratospire 2 Tarptent before I bought a duplex. The tent is still 100% waterproof, but the mesh inner is deteriorating so I replaced it.
    I have gone thru packs like ham sandwiches but put about 1200 miles on my ULA circuit before I got an arc blast as a quick weight savings opportunity. The ULA looks brand new and could easily go for many years to come from a integrity standpoint
    Sleeping pads - on average 1 per 500 miles but due to some manufacturing defects, I now am hoping to put 1000+ on my current pad.
    Sleeping bag - Better be a lifetime (Montbell, Western Mountaineering, Enlightened Quilt)
    Have never used bug spray or permethrin on the trail (I can not recall pulling a tick off of me while on the AT)
    Water filter - Every 500 miles a new sawyer mini
    Water bottles - I have about 1000 miles on 2 smart water bottles and I have about 1500 miles on a Canada dry plastic bottle used for whiskey. That little green bottle has had a many of a fifth of Tennessee Whiskey in it over the miles.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I'm probably the best dressed in ratty sometimes expensive old hiking clothes and trail runners in my area when mowing the lawn, tending the garden, and washing the car.

Got really bad case of chiggers walking on a sandy beach with no vegetation...as the doctor told me.

Can't avoid high grass all the time anyway if you're a hiker willing to go off trail.

The only clothing I replaced was shoes. I carried four pairs of Darn Toughs though. I hate hiking in wet socks to start the day, hence the overkill.

It depends on your idea of worn out. A wool sock that is compressed underfoot, especially if it is moist, will compact into felt. This means that a sock could loose its cushioning long before it develops holes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++