WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Hiking from Pawling NY South to NJ line in Mid May

Any trail things I should know about- Fire rearranged trail / land slide / shelter no longer there (since 2015). Any place I should really stop?

Is the Post office north of the fort the best place for a drop box?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The "secret shelter" on Jim Murray's property reportedly closed, and I believe the church hostel in Vernon has closed as well. Those are the only big changes I've heard.

Edit: Doh! As Knee Jerk points out below, these are farther south than the section you're asking about. I misread the title and thought you were hiking NJ as well.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 03-05-2018 at 13:52.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The "secret shelter" is closed but you can still pitch a tent on the land. The church hostel is closed, but I was told it was temporary and will reopen this summer. Either way, if you are stopping at the NY/NJ state line you will be finished well before these places. If you are going to the PA/NJ line at the DWG, then you will pass the Jim Murray's property which is just off trail, on the right at Goldsmith Road, which is gravel. No signs for it, but there is a sign saying "WATER" and an arrow. (You'll be hiking in NJ, but Jim Murray's property is only 75 yards away, but firmly in NY.)

No shelters have closed on this, the west side of the Hudson. Fingerboard is still the oldest, sootiest shelter on the trail. William Brien Shelter is fine. I've never been to West Mountain Shelter because it's too far off the AT but I was just at Wildcat Shelter last week and a bunch of trees have been chopped down and cut up with a chain saw so there is plenty of firewood there right now. The privy got hit by a tree over the winter but Trail Conference volunteers have cleared it away.

No fires, no landslides over here. You won't be very far from several places to eat so you very well may not need a dropbox. This is the "deli" section of the AT!

Since you'll be hiking in May, the water sources will be okay.

The NY/NJ line is high up on a boulder overlooking Greenwood Lake and if you are stopping there, take the Stateline Trail down to a parking lot and you can get picked up there.
    Last edited by Knee Jerk; 03-05-2018 at 13:47.
    "Never fart in your sleeping bag."

Nice little section here. Water was scarce for me in October, your results may vary there due to time of year.

Agony Grind is a pretty good little stretch that will make you slow down a good bit
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Agony Grind is a pretty good little stretch that will make you slow down a good bit
    Yes, Agony Grind is fun. But he's going in the right direction. I would much rather climb Agony Grind then descend it.

http://www.harrimanhiker.com/2014/08/agony-grind.html

Headed south, on the other side of Orange Turnpike, is a short descent from Buchanan Mountain that the locals call "Devil's Ladder." My best advice, for those going southbound, is to throw your poles to the bottom and then slide down on the seat of your pants.
    Last edited by Knee Jerk; 03-05-2018 at 14:01.
    "Never fart in your sleeping bag."

Journal Entries

west mountain shelter is a must stop on a nice night

West Mtn shelter is also a must stop on a stormy night. Some years ago, I and several other hikers sought refuge there during a thunderstorm and were treated to an amazing view of lightning over the New York city skyline. It was well worth the extra .6 mile.

Journal Entries
    Images

Scenes from West Mountain Shelter

Quote Originally Posted by backtrack213 View Post
    west mountain shelter is a must stop on a nice night
    I'll drink to that!
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=47483
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=47481

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knee Jerk View Post
    I've never been to West Mountain Shelter because it's too far off the AT
    being a local and all, i have to say you should really remedy this situation. as well as visit a few other places not on the AT.

Journal Entries

This may no longer apply as it is pretty old, but if we are at a elevated orange terrorist alert (whatever the f that means) foot traffic over Bear Mountain Bridge (Hudson River AT crossing) is prohibited (I guess that's what the f it means). Other then that you just walk.

If the budget permits, a meal at the Bear Mountain Inn will taste pretty good. It’s right on the trail. The Monastery is great tenting (if the gazebo is full) with a cold water shower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Sponge - I was thinking about calling the Inn and seeing if a could mail a box there - "Since I'm dropping by to eat, could I grab my box while I'm there?" Since the post office hours are a joke there.

Quote Originally Posted by Back on the trail View Post
    Sponge - I was thinking about calling the Inn and seeing if a could mail a box there - "Since I'm dropping by to eat, could I grab my box while I'm there?" Since the post office hours are a joke there.
    Good luck with that. They are are generally AT hiker friendly but don’t know if they would hold a package if you aren’t staying there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++