WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rescue whistle

Default rescue whistle

I also carry a rescue whistle. I even keep one on my car key chain just so it will always be with me. Not as nice as this one, but effective nonetheless.

I have been laughed at and ridiculed for doing so, but I'm happy that I do.

I encourage others to think about this tool, which weighs nearly nothing (at least my plastic one does), and has a sound that can save your life by letting others know where you are.

http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/How...475875493.html

I carry a whistle as well...attached to the backpack shoulder strap. I hope I never need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    I carry a whistle as well...attached to the backpack shoulder strap. I hope I never need to use it.
    I also do, and I've used it. Not life or death, but was glad I had it.
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

I carry a Vargo Outdoors titanium whistle on a cord around my neck. Won’t do much good if it’s in my pack when I need it.

I carry a Vargo Outdoors titanium whistle on a cord around my neck. Won’t do much good if it’s in my pack when I need it.

I might still be lost in the woods of Maine if Rafe hadn't started blowing his whistle after I had been gone looking for water way too long. I went looking after a long hard day, in the dark, with a dimming headlamp. Pretty stupid actually.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

My Fox 40 whistle goes w/ me on every hike. Never used it. Hope that continues.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I might still be lost in the woods of Maine if Rafe hadn't started blowing his whistle after I had been gone looking for water way too long. I went looking after a long hard day, in the dark, with a dimming headlamp. Pretty stupid actually.
    I told my kids (and others) your story...it’s a good campfire story. And it’s why my whistle is carried on my body. Thank you for sharing it.

Images

I have a lanyard with whistle, mini compass and small LED key chain light. That little LED light has come in pretty handy. Thankfully, I've never needed the whistle.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 03-06-2018 at 07:12.

Images

My wife Mudpie and I also carry whistles, on neck lanyards with button LED lights. Both lights and whistles have come in very handy, though we have never had to use the whistles in an emergency.

The international signal for "I NEED HELP!" is three of something - three whistle blasts, three gunshots, three smokey fires. Morse code for SOS is three threes - three dots, three dashes, three dots.

What we have used the whistles for is two blasts, meaning "Where the hell are you? Are you ok?" Answered by one blast "I'm OK. I'm over here" Repeated, if need be, to find each other.
    Sailor

I can whistle louder with my fingers than a whistle but most of my backpacks have one built in on the sternum strap buckle
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    most of my backpacks have one built in on the sternum strap buckle
    Let's make of a list of pack(s)/pack makers that incorporate a whistle into the sternum/shoulder strap:
    Packs that I own:
    Z-packs Arc Haul does not
    Six Moon Designs Fusion does
    Mountainsmith daypack-no
    Dana Design Terraplane-no
    Go-Lite Breeze and Gust- no
    Cabela's Alaska external frame hunting pack- no

Let's make of a list of pack(s)/pack makers that incorporate a whistle into the sternum/shoulder strap:
    Packs that I own:
    Z-packs Arc Haul does not
    Six Moon Designs Fusion does
    Mountainsmith daypack-no
    Dana Design Terraplane-no
    Go-Lite Breeze and Gust- no
    Cabela's Alaska external frame hunting pack- no
    Useless whistles in my experience … Soft, hard to control … Nearly got kicked out of Mountain Equipment Co-op store for testing four or five different brands of pack whistles — except that I went to the store right as they opened and few customers were there …

I carry a (Canadian!) Fox 40 on my pack.

Journal Entries

Osprey's do
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    most of my backpacks have one built in on the sternum strap buckle
    I've met a good number of Osprey owners on trail who have no idea about the sternum strap whistle. I enjoy pointing it out to them, especially if they have attached an additional whistle to the pack.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I carry an ACR whistle used for boating. Practically indestructible and put out a lot of noise.

The only one of mine that has one is my LLB Bigelow Daypack, but that's out of production, and frankly, I'm not sure if those sternum strap whistles are really good enough to count on as your go-to-whistle when one is needed. So, regardless of the pack I bring, I carry a "Tri Power" plastic REI-branded whistle. Probably shouldn't have it buried in my pack, as Traffic Jam advises.

my HMG pack, my ferrino daypack, my Lundhags waterproof pack, Gregory serrac pack they all have a whistle.
    Let me go

Images

Sternum strap whistles are better than nothing. But not much better. Like when you drop your pack at the end of the day and go to get water, or answer nature's call in the night, etc. and get disoriented. And those are the times you're most likely to need one, but it's back at the shelter or your tent or hammock and then you're up $#!7$ creek without a whistle. Two of my packs (both Go-Lite's) have sternum whistles. I still take the lanyard one.

A blade/slip of grass/plastic ground clothe placed between the side of the thumbs makes a formidable screech.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++