WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Floor or no floor?

I am making a no-seeum inner to go with my tarp. ? Should I put a waterproof (silnylon type) floor on the bottom or have my ground cover seperate? Debating here as I can see times when I wont use the inner.
    Thanks folks

A lot of the UL tents have detachable bathtub floors. I'd do something like that.

I would think all one piece would be easier to deal with in general and gives continues, overall protection.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I think about this from time to time. Everything is fun and games when the weather isn't wet but once you get into rain and multiday rain the trouble to keep your gear dry is only exacerbated by not having a floor in your tent - imagine hiking all day in rain, coming to a wet campspot ... the only even ground campspot within the last 40 minutes and the darkness is setting so now you are setting up on wet and muddy ground and the general wetness in the air and from the wet ground will permeate into everything you own

It's not fun in those situations ... sometimes it's probably easier to hike through the night to reach somewhere you can dry your stuff out or to hope the next day brings sunshine
    Let me go

Images

I always sleep with a groundcloth or footprint. Even when I don't bother with a sleeping pad. My question was whether or not to attach it to the inner.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I think about this from time to time. Everything is fun and games when the weather isn't wet but once you get into rain and multiday rain the trouble to keep your gear dry is only exacerbated by not having a floor in your tent - imagine hiking all day in rain, coming to a wet campspot ... the only even ground campspot within the last 40 minutes and the darkness is setting so now you are setting up on wet and muddy ground and the general wetness in the air and from the wet ground will permeate into everything you own

It's not fun in those situations ... sometimes it's probably easier to hike through the night to reach somewhere you can dry your stuff out or to hope the next day brings sunshine

I like to have them separate. As one example for this, as you said, there are times, actually most times, bug netting isn't required based on very high biting insect pressure.

This saves wt and carrying that which is not a necessity.

Also, if the netting or floor gets unrepairable I'm not stuck with something that half works.

I also like to have the ability to match various different ground sheets/floors to different environments.

To follow up on TS Kozobol's post, tarp set ups are highly amenable to bathtub separate floors. I have two in my ground sheet\bathtub floor quiver one bought made from heavier cuben from Zpacks and a similar design DIY made from med wt window film/polycro. I made two of the later for under $20 including special UL tape, micro bungee, and small mitten hooks.

When buggy under a tarp I throw into the mix either a seprate DIY tulle fabric off apex somewhat pyrmidal permethrin treated or bought Sea to Summit Solo Nano Insect Shield(permethrin) netting.

I only take the bathtub floors on consistently wet hikes or hikes where deluges can be expected.

A flat ground sheet can be lifted up along the leading edge(s) with trail materials or laid horizontal trekking pole
    to keep water from sheeting onto your ground cloth. Savvy tarpers are accustomed to site evaluation in regards to environmental concerns like drainage to begin with.

I suspect that 90% of the time either method would be fine. On the few nights with a sideways rain with a blowing wind, I was really happy to have a bathtub floor.

@Puddle fish that can often be remedied by configuring in tighter to the ground storm modes, having adequate coverage size tarps for anticipated stormy weather, and heeding direction of prevailing wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    @Puddle fish that can often be remedied by configuring in tighter to the ground storm modes, having adequate coverage size tarps for anticipated stormy weather, and heeding direction of prevailing wind.
    The night I recall the most, I was stealth camping, on a ridge in a pile of old fluffy leaves. Set the foot into the wind, with about an inch of air showing, and I still got a bit of spray over the 3" bathtub. I just tossed my compactor bag over the foot of my quilt, and I slept pretty well.

I got the tent up before the storm, and had a gorgeous view in the morning. There are always other options of course. I chose to pull up a mile or so short of a designated tentsite, which likely would have been more sheltered from the wind.

Just highlighting that if you want a bathtub floor, then you pretty much need to attach it to the netting.

The best solution is just to get or make a bug bivy. Much less fuss and more versatile. It also adds a few degrees to the bag. On a nice clear summer night, I'll just use the bug bivy and look at the stars. You'll still want a ground cloth to put stuff on and an extra layer of protection between you and the ground.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

It will be easiest just to sew the net without sewing a different fabric floor to it.
    It will also be just about lightest with .7 Oz per yard netting.

Put a piece of polycro inside...voila battub and extra protection for it.

Nice high walls can be nice to knock down ground splash in heavy rainstorm though.

I actually enjoy heavy thunderstorms in my tarp, with inner. when I can lift my head up and look over the edge of my bathtub floor of my inner. And watch the torrents of water just pouring down off of the tarp. Just a couple inches from me, and I'm perfectly dry and cozy. I sleep good.

All viable options offered by the cohorts in tarp amania.

ok. sorry sometimes my reading comprehension is not in focus. You got some good replies here. I have HMG Mid that I bought first without any inner 'furnishings' and it has worked well for me in the winter.

Later on I added bug netting without the floor. Again, it has worked out fine for situations like seakayaking and camping on uneven rocky ledges (with boulders inside the mid ... kind of fun to have coffee tables :-) ) where the netting helped against mobs of mosquitoes.

Later on (every year I added something) I added the HMG half inner netting with the bathtub floor. I have yet to test it so I can't report but I plan on using it this May for 2 weeks on the GAP trail / C&O trail from Pittsburgh to Washington DC - my thinking with the half inner is to accommodate bringing bicycles into the shelter area that is does not have the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
    I always sleep with a groundcloth or footprint. Even when I don't bother with a sleeping pad. My question was whether or not to attach it to the inner.
    Let me go

separate floor is my choice, I have a clip in bathtub floor that goes over my mesh-bottomed shelter.

++ New Posts ++