WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bear container

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bud64 View Post
    So how many people carry the can (BV500 or equal) on the AT? I have a BV500 that i used in Alaska and also have Ursack S29. Each have advantages. I'm still on the fence on which to bring on the AT.
    Very few people carry one on the A.T. I love my BV500, but it's a rare sight on the trail.

I carry mine because I find it incredibly convenient and I've also lost a bit of faith in bear bags as an option for the A.T. specifically, after watching people use absolutely awful bear hangs on this trail year arter year. Sometimes I think people are intentionally trying to get the bears to associate unattended colorful bags with a free meal.

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I plan on carrying a bear canister when I hike the AT, but I'm going to call it a mouse canister so people think it's a good idea.

Haha, love those bear bags photos. When section hiking in the fall, a shelter had a bear warning. Thru hiker was the only one sleeping in the shelter. He decides to hang his food, but it was so low people could almost reach it. I was glad I was hammock hanging across the trail. My food was nice and high. I try to hang properly, but sometimes it is just too difficult to do so. Once that trip, I actually hung it off the hammock. I couldn't find a single branch good height and I couldn't find a rock or even good stick and it was already dark.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud64 View Post
    So how many people carry the can (BV500 or equal) on the AT? I have a BV500 that i used in Alaska and also have Ursack S29. Each have advantages. I'm still on the fence on which to bring on the AT.
    I carry a bear can, usually the smaller BV450. No, it's not absolutely necessary and yes, it's heavy (about a day's worth of food), but I like all the advantages it gives the user. Sooner or later, bear cans will be required in a lot more places.

Yosemite does not recommend that you keep the bear canister near you. There should be a triangle of your tent, your cooking area and the bear canister each about 100 feet (or more) apart.

Quote Originally Posted by rubyvermonter View Post
    Yosemite does not recommend that you keep the bear canister near you. There should be a triangle of your tent, your cooking area and the bear canister each about 100 feet (or more) apart.
    100 feet or yards might work west of the Mississippi. East of the Mississippi you’re lucky if you can see 10 feet through the growth.
    ... Saved by the delete key.
    Wayne

Secure it however you deem necessary, This year will be my first experience using a canister, thought I would try one out to see for myself all the fuss.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Very few people carry one on the A.T. I love my BV500, but it's a rare sight on the trail.

I carry mine because I find it incredibly convenient and I've also lost a bit of faith in bear bags as an option for the A.T. specifically, after watching people use absolutely awful bear hangs on this trail year arter year. Sometimes I think people are intentionally trying to get the bears to associate unattended colorful bags with a free meal.

You might consider making that into a calendar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 at Thunder Hill Shelter, my hiking partner hung a bag in a tree about 50 yards from the shelter. There were 2 other bags in the tree. About 3 in the morning, a bear climbed the tree and took off with one bag. He then came back and tried to get a second bag but we heard him and scared him away. Sometimes, good trees are not available. That year we saw a lot of bears south of Buena Vista VA. You just never know when one will come around. Better safe than go hungry for 2 or 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by hildebrand1944 View Post
    2016 at Thunder Hill Shelter, my hiking partner hung a bag in a tree about 50 yards from the shelter. There were 2 other bags in the tree. About 3 in the morning, a bear climbed the tree and took off with one bag. He then came back and tried to get a second bag but we heard him and scared him away. Sometimes, good trees are not available. That year we saw a lot of bears south of Buena Vista VA. You just never know when one will come around. Better safe than go hungry for 2 or 3 days.
    Good example of why I’d rather just sleep with it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yellowstone. K.I.S.S.
    https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...anner_2015.pdf
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

This container is a little different. https://www.rei.com/product/135835/f...ider-bear-safe

Images

I have carried a bearcan on the AT for over 2000 miles of hikes. I put away from my tent but still within view, nothing has ever messed with it. Thunder Hill shelter got closed in 2016 because of the bear, it then went to the next campsite and kept them chasing it away all night. I stealth camped 2 miles farther away no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    100 feet or yards might work west of the Mississippi. East of the Mississippi you’re lucky if you can see 10 feet through the growth.
    ... Saved by the delete key.
    Wayne
    Stumbling through the fog looking for your food is the worst.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    This container is a little different. https://www.rei.com/product/135835/f...ider-bear-safe
    interesting concept that one..... seems a bit too big though for my consideration.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++