WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Resupply food

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's a trade off. In some places you may need to carry 5 or 6 days worth of food. But I'd rather not if I don't have to. But going to town cuts into your day or you loose a day completely. So, it depends on how much of a rush your in and how heavy a load you want to carry.

It also depends on what kind of mileage your capable of doing. Someone who can only do 10 MPD (on a good day) has to carry more food and stop more often to resupply then someone who can pull off 20's.
    I met this kid who just south of Harpers Ferry was knocking out 30 miles a day with energy to spare. As in jog down to the spring after hiking all day energy to spare. She really made resupply look easy. A little too ultra light (hiking shift and a hoodie for equipment, probably had a base weight around 10 lb or less, did not filter, only carried a liter of water at a time).

But made me think.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's a trade off. In some places you may need to carry 5 or 6 days worth of food. But I'd rather not if I don't have to. But going to town cuts into your day or you loose a day completely. So, it depends on how much of a rush your in and how heavy a load you want to carry.

It also depends on what kind of mileage your capable of doing. Someone who can only do 10 MPD (on a good day) has to carry more food and stop more often to resupply then someone who can pull off 20's.
    Drone resupply is needed. If on any trail that ever occurs it will probably be the AT first. Next will be the PCT.

I just finished reading my free copy of Matt & Julie Urbanski’s account of their CDT hike. They were on a 150-190 mile schedule. Give or take a few paces. 30-35 mile days were not uncommon for them.
    Internet legend suggests that Eric Ryback used a 350 mile schedule on his PCT adventure. 10-15 days I guess.
    I suppose that I could fill my Ursack Major and find out how far I can go.
    Sorry for the rambling.
    Wayne

I wonder if Eric actually "rybacked" any of of those 350 miles.

Watch it. 😄👍😎
    Internet Legend is the operative phrase here.
    Have any of Eric’s detractors offered proof? I really don’t know what it’s all about.
    How many food dumps are used for the Brooks Range 1,000 mile traverse?
    Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++