WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Resupply food

Default Resupply food

Planning for NOBO end of March. I have Guthook app on my phone and looking at the AT trail on the Internet I am trying to find how far off the trail I need to go for resupply. Looking at Georgia and North Carolina it looks like 9-10 miles is not uncommon. Are there more stores close to trail that are not listed in the app ?
    Also any advice on brand of removable insoles for the shoes to cutdown on the heal pain.
    Thanks
    Grasshopper15

I recall not much being on the the trail, but a hitch is a hitch, once you're over a mile or so and you're hitching, it doesn't matter if the hitch is 2 miles or 20 (assuming its 1 main road to the store).

For heel pain, you might want to look at insoles at a running store. The REI/typical Superfeet insoles are great for arch support, but aren't very padded. Running shoe insoles seem a lot more bouncy. Is it a heel spur? That can be related to plantar fasciitis which can be sort of helped ahead of time by something like this : https://www.amazon.com/Alphabrace-Pl...001PB07S8?th=1. It stretches your calves out, which helps PF because the fascia is all connected - looser calves = looser feet.

Did you find Elk Park, NC on Hwy 19E?
    A Dollar Store closest to the AT and a local market just beyond the Dollar Store. Both on the same side of the highway. 1-1.5 miles from the AT.
    Wayne

No, there will be no other stores go with guthook, awol or thru hiker companion for finding stores. I tried shoe inserts and they made it worse.

I didn’t have to hitch once for a resupply until Great Barrington, Mass. and I really could have skipped it.
    Sort of misleading there were times before then I got to town by staying somewhere that included it in the cost. But point being even with some things a little distance, it’s easy to get to them.

Green superfeet worked well for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

I just went through a year of HELL because of heel pain and because I chose to do the over the counter thing my feet got a lot worse! Finally got professional help and medical grade inserts after two weeks the pain is starting to go away. The foot doctor said I made my problem way worse with those name brand jell inserts. Long story short if you really enjoy hiking don't gamble with your feet.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will have to hitch a ride or walk for resupply as the conditions permit. As far as the heel pain, it is not continuous. May be I will try the runner’s insoles for now and see how they help.
    Grasshopper15

But, of course, the best list is here:

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/con...or-a-thru-hike

There are a number of places within 1/4 to 1/2 mile off the trail to get some kind of food. If it's any farther, hitch. It usually doesn't take long. Many of the roads you would have to walk to get to town are dangerous, due to being very narrow (no shoulder), twisty (poor line of sight) and locals who drive at high speeds. There is usually a pull off at the trail head, so stay there to hitch.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

This list is old but very helpful. I hope it is not too much out of date. I will cetainly make use of it.
    Thanks,
    Grasshopper15

"...I am trying to find how far off the trail I need to go for resupply. Looking at Georgia and North Carolina it looks like 9-10 miles is not uncommon."

0-30 miles. You choose.
    "Also any advice on brand of removable insoles for the shoes to cut down on the heal(heel) pain."

Yeah, but first tell me if I have a headache should I get brain surgery, take an aspirin, stop banging my head on the wall, don't eat ice cream so fast, or clear my sinuses? Radically different diagnosis based on the cause of headache. It's the same for heel pain. What's causing it?

It is becoming more and more common for hostels to offer rides with a 1 night stay. 2 night stays seem to have a little more generosity and flexibility. I know Franklin, NC has a free shuttle to the trail at WSG. Then ya hit the NOC/ Fontana village which could get you all the way to Standing bear Farm if you plan to get to thru the smokies without going into Gatlinburg. then a quick 2 days to Hot Springs, nc. I remember one year as I was on my first section hike completion of the south, and new thru hike attempters were really sweating the 60 some odd miles between HS and Erwin. I remember laughing last October as I walked over the Bear Mountain Bridge in NY, making 90 miles without resupply and I think we went all the way to Vernon, NJ without stopping for resupply.
    I would say just wing it The troves of other hikers will help guide you to food
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

For inserts, my podiatrist recommended these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Use them in all my shoes, including tennis and hiking.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

The 3 day resupply or die mentality is beyond my comprehension.
    I guess Helena, Montana to Benchmark Ranch or 187 miles through the San Juan mountains would blow a few fuses on the AT.
    Good luck and have fun!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I guess Helena, Montana to Benchmark Ranch or 187 miles through the San Juan mountains would blow a few fuses on the AT.
    Good luck and have fun!
    Wayne
    It's a trade off. In some places you may need to carry 5 or 6 days worth of food. But I'd rather not if I don't have to. But going to town cuts into your day or you loose a day completely. So, it depends on how much of a rush your in and how heavy a load you want to carry.

It also depends on what kind of mileage your capable of doing. Someone who can only do 10 MPD (on a good day) has to carry more food and stop more often to resupply then someone who can pull off 20's.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    drinking a case a day, carrying the beer for more than 3 days gets tough

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    drinking a case a day, carrying the beer for more than 3 days gets tough
    You could transfer them over to zip locks... They'd be pretty rough come day 3 though

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

When sectioning it was quite frequent down south that the Walmart's and newer supermarkets tended to have moved outside of town center usually on the far end of the town from the AT. What was left in town centers were the Family Dollar type stores that had moved into where the local supermarkets had moved out of or the local mom and pop type stores that have figured out that they could get some extra income by buying food at the local walmart and then marking it up and reselling it to thruhikers. Fresh food selection in the Family Dollars stores was poor and selection was limited, if you want low grade carbs with lots of sodium they are the place to go. Since we were car supported we could drive the extra miles and get far better food usually at a better price and in more convenient sizes and packaging. I do remember a spot in VA south of the roller coaster that was an old store that had been converted to a Taxidermy Shop, they still had a shelf of basic hikers foods for sale.

It all comes down to convenience, sure someone can survive unless they have dietary restrictions by buying what is right near the trail but the options open up if you head out farther from the trail. The nice thing is the locals all are driving out to the newer grocery stores so its easy to hitch.

Hitching is pretty common man.

It’s strange at first but after awhile you won’t even hesistate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++