WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    Ugh. I suppose I do have to accept some of that. But I do believe that the "internal thermostat" and the whole recovering from the flu thing probably had more to do with it than I thought.

Thanks guys.
    In my experience, even the slightest degree of dehydration causes me to sleep colder than usual. The feeling of coldness comes internally rather than from low ambient air temperature, and manifest itself as uncontrollable shivering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good point about dehydration, and something I failed to consider. Thanks.

I am one of those people who are chronically dehydrated; I just don't seem to have that switch in my head that says "Get something to drink, you're thirsty you fool!" It is seriously something that I have to remind myself to do; it's a discipline that I have to practice. Finally settling on a workable hydration "system" should help. (I dislike bladders for a few reasons, and reaching around for bottles on my pack side requires flexibility worthy of Cirque du Soleil, so I spent $18 on a simple tube & vent-cap gizmo I found on Amazon. Works quite well.)

Perhaps I just needed to remind myself to use it more!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

Not sure if anyone suggested this but almost all of my hiking has been in March and Sept. With cold ground / cold nights I try to make a BIG pile of leaves with my hiking poles, my stretch is picking all sticks out. I pitch my tent over that same sized rectangle -seems to help. Restore area in am so nobody can tell I was there.

Obvious solution is buy a warrmer bag, try to cut weight elsewhere to offset.

Tired, yes. Horribly out of shape and recovering from a long recovery from the flu. Well fed with a nice hot meal, and a couple of cups of green tea. (See? It really was a perfect trip...except for the chilly part!)
    I'm thinking that you may not have been as "recovered" from the flu as you thought. I think it probably takes more time than people think. Also probably makes people more dehydrated.

Images

At those temperatures I would be using my X-therm mattress, a Trekker is to low of an R value for me. Ground insulation is huge for comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    At those temperatures I would be using my X-therm mattress, a Trekker is to low of an R value for me. Ground insulation is huge for comfort.
    Bingo. THAT was my mistake, and I feel like an idiot.

I have had an Xtherm for years, and love it, however last fall I bought the Trekker in order to lighten my load a little, since the October temps weren't really all that cold. And it was fine.

But not so fine on ground that has been frozen cold and wet for three months.

I cannot believe I overlooked something so simple. I still believe that the internal thermostat and the flu recovery had some impact, but this really rings true.

I'm going to be shaking my head and muttering to myself for weeks....
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Not sure if anyone suggested this but almost all of my hiking has been in March and Sept. With cold ground / cold nights I try to make a BIG pile of leaves with my hiking poles, my stretch is picking all sticks out. I pitch my tent over that same sized rectangle -seems to help. Restore area in am so nobody can tell I was there.

Obvious solution is buy a warrmer bag, try to cut weight elsewhere to offset.
    I actually do have a wonderful warmer bag (a WM Sequoia, rated to *5), but it's pretty beefy to fit into any of my current packs. I use it for trips and outings when I go back home to Minnesota. It's pure heaven.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I use silk long john under my polartech. I also keep a pack of nabs handy. If I wake at 2 am cold, there is no getting warm no matter how much insulation there is. Gotta have fuel in the stomach to get warm again. Peanut butter crackers, peanuts, anything with carbs. Plain old dry ra'men noodles will do.

I'm 69 and yes, the older we get the colder it seems at night.

RevDrDan www.smithfieldbaptist.org

Bless your heart. I sleep on my Xtherm. Period. Always warm. Never too hot.
    Wayne

"Bless her little ol' heart...but she was just such an idiot." Yeah, I know how that line goes.

I have to say that during my hike down through the Shenendoah last October, when the temps were still rather warm, it was nice to save that 10 ounces from my pack. Well, that and a few other small improvements made a noticeable difference.

So now I guess I'll be experimenting with how low I can comfortably go with the Trekker, and when it's time for my Xtherm. I too have used silk weight Polartec under my woolies and I think that does help a little, and I also keep a couple of snacks tucked away -- or my entire food bag, more likely -- but I can't say that I've ever felt that help me warm up. Rev is right: once you're cold it is really, really hard to warm up again.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

"Bless her little ol' heart...but she was just such an idiot." Yeah, I know how that line goes.

I have to say that during my hike down through the Shenendoah last October, when the temps were still rather warm, it was nice to save that 10 ounces from my pack. Well, that and a few other small improvements made a noticeable difference.

So now I guess I'll be experimenting with how low I can comfortably go with the Trekker, and when it's time for my Xtherm. I too have used silk weight Polartec under my woolies and I think that does help a little, and I also keep a couple of snacks tucked away -- or my entire food bag, more likely -- but I can't say that I've ever felt that help me warm up. Rev is right: once you're cold it is really, really hard to warm up again.
    That was not my intention. I don’t think like that. I’m sorry if that is what you thought I was saying.
    Seriously. I tried every sleeping foundation on the market over several decades. Nothing I tried was ever just right. Early short backpacking air mattresses, Therm-A-Rest Ultralight self inflating, Ridgerest, generic blue CCF. Then I bought the Xtherm Large. I’ve spent enough nights on it for an AT Thru-hike. I sleep well on the Xtherm.
    Wayne

No worries -- I was poking fun at my own self.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

When it gets really cold, my old hound dog noses up to get under the quilt to be spooned. Sounds a little pervy...maybe i should rename her x therm. And bless her little cold nose, I’ve had many a cold start to the night, but we always wake up warm ;^}

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    When it gets really cold, my old hound dog noses up to get under the quilt to be spooned. Sounds a little pervy...maybe i should rename her x therm. And bless her little cold nose, I’ve had many a cold start to the night, but we always wake up warm ;^}
    Hence the phrase "Three Dog Night".

Journal Entries

I use to be unable to get warm enough in the cold weather no matter what I did. Then I met an old guy everyone called Red. He was an avid outdoors man who was a hiker, hunter, fishing expert etc. I told him my problem and the solution he gave me sounded like a crazy man talking. He said to go into the woods where no one else can see you on a cold winter day. Strip down to your birthday suit and sit down on the ground or a stump until you are shivering and your teeth are rattling. Then get dressed and walk out of the woods as your body warms up. Like I said sounded crazy, but so did his advice to use peanut butter balls to fish with, which I know works. Well let's just say I tried it and it works. Now I stay warm all winter long with very little insulated clothing or having to buy two different sets of quilts to carry. I use silk long underwear and clean socks to keep my quilts clean. Every now and then I throw on a knit beanie.
    Blackheart

No worries -- I was poking fun at my own self.
    I’m confused. Thermarest lists the Trekker at 1 lb 3 oz and my Xtherm Large at 1 lb 4 oz.
    What am I missing?
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I’m confused. Thermarest lists the Trekker at 1 lb 3 oz and my Xtherm Large at 1 lb 4 oz.
    What am I missing?
    Wayne
    Beats me my XTherm MAX comes in at 1 lb 7 oz.
    Blackheart

My Xtherm is a few years old now, and from what I gather online it is the Xtherm "max" (it is rectangular vs. mummy shaped); it is size L and weighs 23oz.

-- The mummy-shaped Xtherm size L weighs 20oz.

-- The Trekker size L weighs 16oz

So the weight savings for me was substantial: 7oz on paper, but actually over 9oz for me because I fold my pads and omit the sacks.

I may consider a purchase of the mummy-shaped Xtherm later this summer -- not necessarily for the 3oz, but for the anticipated reduction in volume.

However in the meantime, I have a rather academic thought on my current issue: do you think placing an emergency blanket (i.e., the silver mylar or SOL types) underneath the Trekker could be helpful for a short-term, "Oops-it-got-colder-than-I-thought-it-would" trip? (I always have one stuffed away in my pack, and know that I could certainly use it inside my bag as an emergency, but as I said this is really just a theoretical question.)
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Current WhiteBlaze thinking says that a CCF foam pad between the bag and Trekker adds noticeably to your warmth.
    We’ll have to wait for an opion on the flimsy mylar space blankets.
    After 2 continuous months and 4-5 months total, the Xtherm Large (mummy tapered) is very comfortable. I personally would not need the rectangular Max.
    All the best to you!
    Wayne

My Xtherm is a few years old now, and from what I gather online it is the Xtherm "max" (it is rectangular vs. mummy shaped); it is size L and weighs 23oz.

-- The mummy-shaped Xtherm size L weighs 20oz.

-- The Trekker size L weighs 16oz

So the weight savings for me was substantial: 7oz on paper, but actually over 9oz for me because I fold my pads and omit the sacks.

I may consider a purchase of the mummy-shaped Xtherm later this summer -- not necessarily for the 3oz, but for the anticipated reduction in volume.

However in the meantime, I have a rather academic thought on my current issue: do you think placing an emergency blanket (i.e., the silver mylar or SOL types) underneath the Trekker could be helpful for a short-term, "Oops-it-got-colder-than-I-thought-it-would" trip? (I always have one stuffed away in my pack, and know that I could certainly use it inside my bag as an emergency, but as I said this is really just a theoretical question.)
    I’ve used a Mylar blanket under my pad but don’t know if it made a difference. How do you measure that? I’m always cold after hiking and was just as cold with the blanket... but would I have been colder?

My issue is that after endurance activities, I can’t generate enough heat to stay warm.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++