Default Woman's Perspective EE Revelation 10

Hi All,
    I'm having some difficulty figuring out which EE Revelation quilt specifications to choose. I am just shy of 5'6" (5' 5 3/4") and 118lb. I do not consider myself an especially cold sleeper. I plan to use the bag for the shoulder seasons, and do not intend to see temperatures lower than 25F.

Temp - I'm set on a 10F (Better safe than sorry is my personal motto). I also saw on the EE help section that the bags are rated for men and that women should go 10-20F lower.
    Length- Short or Regular? According to the website I should go up in size to a regular because I occasionally sleep on my stomach. I would like the option to put my head under the quilt. Anyone of similar stature able to comment?
    Girth- Slim or Regular? My girth is 39in according to the website instructions. This would put me in the slim category, even adding 4-5" for someone like me who tends to move around a bit. Anyone of similar size able to comment?

I have looked at reviews online, but as a cautious buyer I would love to hear more opinions, especially from women! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Mother Nature doesn’t care about your intentions. You have no control over the temperatures that you encounter.
    Planning for temperatures in the low 20s with a 10 degree quilt is a good idea.
    You will need an R-5 or warmer pad between you and the ground.
    There is a school of thought that says that 20 degrees is breaking point between a quilt and a sleeping bag.
    WhiteBlaze member DuneElliot is about your size and recently switched from a quilt to a WM 10 degree bag. Hopefully she will share her experience here.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerGal1227 View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm having some difficulty figuring out which EE Revelation quilt specifications to choose. I am just shy of 5'6" (5' 5 3/4") and 118lb. I do not consider myself an especially cold sleeper. I plan to use the bag for the shoulder seasons, and do not intend to see temperatures lower than 25F.

Temp - I'm set on a 10F (Better safe than sorry is my personal motto). I also saw on the EE help section that the bags are rated for men and that women should go 10-20F lower.
    Length- Short or Regular? According to the website I should go up in size to a regular because I occasionally sleep on my stomach. I would like the option to put my head under the quilt. Anyone of similar stature able to comment?
    Girth- Slim or Regular? My girth is 39in according to the website instructions. This would put me in the slim category, even adding 4-5" for someone like me who tends to move around a bit. Anyone of similar size able to comment?

I have looked at reviews online, but as a cautious buyer I would love to hear more opinions, especially from women! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.
    to White Blaze!

I am just a hair taller and about 2 lbs heavier. I have loved my (no longer made) EE Revelation X quilt since 2012. Mine is also a 10* quilt, but I would not choose to use this quilt much below 25*, even with my sleep system. I have other sleep systems for colder weather sleeping... I prefer to be toasty warm and not have to spend the night trying to get warm.

Your mileage may vary, but I can tell you why I made the choices I made for my quilt. My reasoning might help with your decision making.

I could also have gone with the short length, but chose the regular length quilt. I do love to be able to pull my quilt up on the colder nights, while not worrying about my toes getting cold. I am also a stomach/side sleeper. I have found the regular length to be just right for my needs. Sleep is important and I never wanted to have to sleep in fetal position just to make sure I had enough quilt to cover head and toes.

If you are trying to decide between slim or regular width, I would suggest the regular width. In the event you ever choose to use your quilt like a sleeping bag, it is nice to have that extra bit of room for extra layers of clothes (puffy jacket, etc). I could have gone with the slim quilt, but would have hated the confinement (if I ever needed to use it like a sleeping bag). I personally went with the wide width because I am a side/stomach sleeper. One of my biggest gripes with sleeping bags is that I always felt too confined. The difference in weight (between the widths) really isn't much. If you have any issues with liking your freedom to get comfortable at night, I would suggest the regular width. You might think about taking a sheet and (safety) pinning it to fit the various widths just to see what works best for you. Try that with different layers of clothing and see what might work best.

I hope my experiences help you with your decision. EE makes fantastic quilts and I have been a very satisfied customer. This is not to take away from any other quilt maker - I just have not felt the need to try another vendor.

Loft. Loft. Loft. The most important number when shopping for sleeping bags and quilt. The thickness of the down, Loft, over you is what determines your comfort at the lowest temperature you anticipate.
    Based on online charts (Backpacking Light has one), reliable bag makers catalogues and my personal experience in the Rockies from late August to early October, 3” top loft is suitable into the teens or below with appropriate clothing, ground insulation and shelter.
    800-850 fill power down is adequate. Don’t pay for more.
    There is no reason to feel confined in a mummy bag. There are numerous internal sizes available from reputable companies.
    Wayne

Of course everyone is different but here's my experience. I have a 25 degree quilt and a 5 degree sleeping bag. My quilt is OK to the mid thirties. I have taken it (accidentally) into the teens and didn't die or anything. I have taken it (on purpose) into the high twenties and I was not cold with my puffy jacket on too - but also not really warm. But when I've been making camp and the temps are in the twenties, or lower, there is nothing that feels so good as zipping yourself up into a down filled cocoon of a sleeping bag.

Of course a 10 degree quilt is another matter, but I definitely wouldn't go for slim because you want to be able to tuck it underneath to keep out drafts and have it fully cover you when you're on your side. Have fun!

I am basically EXACTLY your size. 5'5 and 115#

I bought the 10* Convert which is the Revelation with a zipper. I bought it Regular width and regular length. It was WAY too big and I ended up cold when it dipped below freezing. In general it is a nice quilt. I like EE but I think their temp ratings might be not quite as accurate as some and I didn't like not having a neck baffle...had to get it pretty tight to stop cold breezes and then I felt like I was being garroted. I didn't freeze but in the high 20s I did have to wear my puffy underneath.

I got the regular length for exactly the same reason as you did but never ended up using it in that way as I realize it probably wasn't a great idea for warmth to be breathing damp air into a down bag.

I also had a Loco Libre Gear 10* quilt that I used for backpacking the Winds last year and I found that I was constantly adjusting it to stop breezes coming in. I liked the quilt for above 40* but below that I prefer a sleeping bag.

The regular width LLG was 52" wide and definitely didn't have enough wiggle room (I'd originally bought it for hammock camping) for me to move without lifting the sides and allowing air in but I also didn't make use of the pad attachments which probably would have made a world of difference. The regular LLG quilt is 52" wide and the slim EE Rev is 50" wide. The wide LLG is 55" and the reg EE Rev is 54", so about the same.

Despite the occasional cold air inflow I never really got cold with the LLG quilt...that thing is WARM!

So, with all this in mind, if you definitely want a quilt and aren't pressed for time I would HIGHLY recommend Loco Libre Gear's 10* Ghost Pepper with the sewn-in hotbox footbox in 70" length and whichever width you think best suits you. It was definitely warmer than the EE quilt and there are just as many, if not more, choices than EE.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I am basically EXACTLY your size. 5'5 and 115#

I bought the 10* Convert which is the Revelation with a zipper. I bought it Regular width and regular length. It was WAY too big and I ended up cold when it dipped below freezing. In general it is a nice quilt. I like EE but I think their temp ratings might be not quite as accurate as some and I didn't like not having a neck baffle...had to get it pretty tight to stop cold breezes and then I felt like I was being garroted. I didn't freeze but in the high 20s I did have to wear my puffy underneath.

I got the regular length for exactly the same reason as you did but never ended up using it in that way as I realize it probably wasn't a great idea for warmth to be breathing damp air into a down bag.

I also had a Loco Libre Gear 10* quilt that I used for backpacking the Winds last year and I found that I was constantly adjusting it to stop breezes coming in. I liked the quilt for above 40* but below that I prefer a sleeping bag.

The regular width LLG was 52" wide and definitely didn't have enough wiggle room (I'd originally bought it for hammock camping) for me to move without lifting the sides and allowing air in but I also didn't make use of the pad attachments which probably would have made a world of difference. The regular LLG quilt is 52" wide and the slim EE Rev is 50" wide. The wide LLG is 55" and the reg EE Rev is 54", so about the same.

Despite the occasional cold air inflow I never really got cold with the LLG quilt...that thing is WARM!

So, with all this in mind, if you definitely want a quilt and aren't pressed for time I would HIGHLY recommend Loco Libre Gear's 10* Ghost Pepper with the sewn-in hotbox footbox in 70" length and whichever width you think best suits you. It was definitely warmer than the EE quilt and there are just as many, if not more, choices than EE.
    Once again we have proof why quilts have not completely replaced sleeping bags.
    Wayne

Not using strap and pad attachment will definitely make a quilt less effective. Quilts require a higher skill especially at low temps. Their value is in weight, volume, temperature range, flexibility and cost.
    Comfort and temperature ratings are a box of chocolates. One person’s experience is not easily transferred to another. EN ratings help with comparing vendor to vendor, but still need to be calibrated to the individual.
    If in doubt, get a lower temp rating than you think necessary. It easy to sleep cooler by opening the quilt, much easier without an enclosed foot box.

BTW, both the EE Rev and LLG Ghost Pepper have pad attachment options.

Just got an email that my EE revelation has been shipped! Woohoo.
    I went for the 20F/850 fill.
    I can’t make add anything regarding bag size as I’m 5’10”.
    I chose regular length and width.

I’ll be very keen on how this quilt versus the traditional sleeping bags performs.
    I had watched a YouTube video (Darwin on the trail) about quilt vs. Bags. I was sold right there and then.
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

++ New Posts ++