WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks all for the useful feedback! I'll definitely watch the food carefully. My first food package, already in the mail, is too heavy, but that might be a good learning experience. :-) I'll definitely start out light.

@ fastfox - I'm right there with you, 158 with a very fast metabolism.
    @ moldy - Yep, a little OCD. However, I've found when I put it all in a spreadsheet and see how much crap I'm carrying and what all those little things add up to, I'm more likely to cut down. Looking forward to dropping 8 pounds!
    @ Venchka and Dogwood - Got it on the mountains and warmth - thanks! I was focusing on GSMNP because I'll meet my wife there. But I see that there are many 5K+ peaks ahead. Hoping for a warm Spring!
    @ Boogie - Yep, I've learned that lesson before! My mini multi-tool has a scissors.
    @ James - Excellent ideas, thanks! I don't plan to take my phone out of my pack and turn it on very often. My Nano is very light and energy efficient so that's my music and books. Perhaps I will drop the camera, but I like it on my pack strap where I can grab it with one hand and snap photos fast. And I was waiting for comments on the inReach. :-) That's just so my family and friends can follow my track. I won't be pushing that SOS button when I can dial 911 if really necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by HootG View Post
    Thanks all for the useful feedback! I'll definitely watch the food carefully. My first food package, already in the mail, is too heavy, but that might be a good learning experience. :-) I'll definitely start out light.

@ fastfox - I'm right there with you, 158 with a very fast metabolism.
    @ moldy - Yep, a little OCD. However, I've found when I put it all in a spreadsheet and see how much crap I'm carrying and what all those little things add up to, I'm more likely to cut down. Looking forward to dropping 8 pounds!
    @ Venchka and Dogwood - Got it on the mountains and warmth - thanks! I was focusing on GSMNP because I'll meet my wife there. But I see that there are many 5K+ peaks ahead. Hoping for a warm Spring!
    @ Boogie - Yep, I've learned that lesson before! My mini multi-tool has a scissors.
    @ James - Excellent ideas, thanks! I don't plan to take my phone out of my pack and turn it on very often. My Nano is very light and energy efficient so that's my music and books. Perhaps I will drop the camera, but I like it on my pack strap where I can grab it with one hand and snap photos fast. And I was waiting for comments on the inReach. :-) That's just so my family and friends can follow my track. I won't be pushing that SOS button when I can dial 911 if really necessary.
    Hope for a warm spring.
    Prepare for cold and wet.
    Be safe.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by HootG View Post
    . . . the inReach. . . I won't be pushing that SOS button when I can dial 911 if really necessary.
    In practice, the SOS button and 911 should do essentially the same thing since the inReach SOS responders contact local emergency responders pretty much like 911 will. Although, the inReach SOS has your GPS location automatically integrated into the communication which might or might not lead to easier location of you and yours.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

-

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    In practice, the SOS button and 911 should do essentially the same thing since the inReach SOS responders contact local emergency responders pretty much like 911 will. Although, the inReach SOS has your GPS location automatically integrated into the communication which might or might not lead to easier location of you and yours.
    you will constantly be in a mob of hikers - reality is the "first" responder to any issue will be your fellow hikers

warmer sleeping bag always wins over more clothes IMO - for the worst weather ( 35 and rain), stop and get in the bag, instead of trying to have gear to deal with it

2 out of 3 days in the first month you will be down to shirt and shorts at some point - 2nd month 9 out of 10 days - clothes is mostly just carried

since you have a ride in the smokies there will be little reason for more than 3 days food until maine

by the smokies you will have a better idea of gear going forward, a lot by getting hands on input from those around you - those who change out gear at neals are usually doing it too early IMO

If you are that worried about weight, you can go on line and order mountain house freeze dried food that weighs very little, but it is expensive compared to noodles rice etc. Maybe start the trip with mountain house lighter load. When you get your trail legs, 38 pounds will be a breeze. Another thing that will cut weight is lots and lots of Ramen noodles. Add a handful of stovetop stuffing mix to one packet of Ramen after you cook the noodles. It soaks up the liquid, weighs very little and makes a huge meal.

RevDrDan

Quote Originally Posted by RevDrDan View Post
    If you are that worried about weight, you can go on line and order mountain house freeze dried food that weighs very little, but it is expensive compared to noodles rice etc. Maybe start the trip with mountain house lighter load. When you get your trail legs, 38 pounds will be a breeze. Another thing that will cut weight is lots and lots of Ramen noodles. Add a handful of stovetop stuffing mix to one packet of Ramen after you cook the noodles. It soaks up the liquid, weighs very little and makes a huge meal.
    RevDrDan

7 posts over the past 13 years?! There are several here who seem to average that many posts per hour.
    Since you chose your words that carefully, I'm going to pay attention to anything you have to say; those on the other extreme with chronic diarrhea of the mouth I've learned to ignore.
    You da man, RevDrDan.

Quote Originally Posted by RevDrDan View Post

RevDrDan
    An option is to buy #10 cans of MH and repackage into vacuum seal bags, which lets you tweak portion size and reduce food bag volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It's not about wrong or right. Dont fall into that crap. Let yourself evolve. Evolve your kit and abilities. These things are not destinations but more like continuous paths ever lasting. Flow into your hike.

If you consider your carry a bit heavy at the get go allow yourself to postively mentally and physically and logistically adapt. With intention with consideration work your way into your hike.

Don't be impatient or act out of angst. A thru is going to last months. You have time on your side. Couple of wk's the individual learning curve climb probably will be steep
    Embrace it. It's another part of this journey.

Don't go out too fast too hard too long. This is more an enjoyable life learning and endurance event not a 100 yds dash.
    I rarely ever understand what dogwood is saying because he uses fancy words I don't understand, but this is some really good, sound advice that everyone could benefit from.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    An option is to buy #10 cans of MH and repackage into vacuum seal bags, which lets you tweak portion size and reduce food bag volume.
    I'm trying that. I just hope sucking the air out of ziplock bags provides a good enough seal!

Quick update. I've made it to just south of Damascus (in 29 days) and am really glad I brought my 10-degree bag. It keep me nice and warm on some very cold nights. I'll probably carry it for another week or two but I am looking forward to a lighter pack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++