WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Not sure how flush the OP is, but perhaps he could start a movement by building something like this famous effort in the DWG.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...ndent-outhouse
    Architect's dream outhouse. Bet they fawned over it in Architectural Digest.

duplicate, sorry
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 03-13-2018 at 13:16.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Not sure how flush the OP is, but perhaps he could start a movement by building something like this famous effort in the DWG.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...ndent-outhouse
    That was 20+ years ago. I doubt they are doing anything similar now.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

After reading all about it, I want to see a picture of it! All those stupid pop-up ads and no pictures of the Taj Mahal potty??
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    That was 20+ years ago. I doubt they are doing anything similar now.
    Oh, that was during the real estate boom when few realized the steep yearly double digit rises in value wouldn't last forever. Of course, we learned from that - over building doesn't always pan out. That could never happen again.

oooh that a nice lookin place to leave a dump

With all the joking we aren't fully informed. We don't know how the itemized costs fully break down.

Most shelters are built by trail organizations using volunteer labor. I can't see how material costs for a typical AT shelter can be anywhere near $50-75K. Maybe if you hire a contractor it would cost that much. I know that contractors are ridiculously expensive based on my recent experience helping a family member deal with a general contractor. The margins they make over material costs is stunning especially if you use a general contractor to manage subcontractors - margins layered upon margins. If I ever want to own a cabin in the woods, I'm going to learn how to build one myself, maybe from a log kit.

What about modifying a shipping container to use as a shelter or would it be to big to be flown in

-

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post
    What about modifying a shipping container to use as a shelter or would it be to big to be flown in
    military cargo helicopters are specifically designed to transport containers, but would need to land with them (large open area)

I could build a decent shelter, humping in material, say 4-6 miles from a road by myself for less than 10.000 material in a year - so labor valued about 100K

You guys are forgetting about the graft and corruption from the politicians buddies is included in the price. Kinda like the USFS's road to an outhouse in the middle of the WMNF in NH. There is no way that an outhouse costs more than $30,000

Shoot, I’ll build ya gilded King’s thrown for twenty five.

...and thrown in a rainwater bidet, for an additional five.

tear down all shelters and use the wood to make tent platforms/pads

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post

It wouldn't fit into the wilderness narrative of the AT.

However, it could work if the shelter location provided very nearby improved gravel road access or a drop zone. Many AT shelters are near a forest road or old road access.

It can't cost $75,000 to build some of the shelters I've seen! 3 cinder block walls, some concrete footings and a wood frame roof with tin and a wooden platform?

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...and thrown in a rainwater bidet, for an additional five.

Only if it can also be also used to wash feet, socks, and a bandanna during summer. You know some tight wad hikers are going to wash clothes in it.

And solar panels for charging electronics conveniently. Cut down trees that get in the way.

Images

Last year I spoke with one of the trail maintainers who helped install the bearproof storage containers at the four shelters in between Catawba and Daleville in VA. He said that they got as close as they could using the local back roads, but in the end he and 3 other guys (all volunteers) ended up hauling the 600 lb. lockers 1-2 miles each up to the shelters using hand carts.
    It's all good in the woods.

I read the article linked in post #26, and there is a picture of the privy's interior. Can it be they actually put a window in the privy looking directly at the commode? And for that it cost over $100K for design?

Nice picture of the outside of the privy by the way. I'll be hiking past DWG in May, and I'll make it a priority to visit and "contribute" to the Taj Mahal of privies.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++