WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Only if it can also be also used to wash feet, socks, and a bandanna during summer. You know some tight wad hikers are going to wash clothes in it.

And solar panels for charging electronics conveniently. Cut down trees that get in the way.
    sure, we can do a spin cycle and magic fingers for $895.00

Helicopters are ridiculously expensive to operate. The last conversation I had (a while ago) put the operation to maintenance time at a 1:1 ratio.

In general terms you hear figures of $500-$600 per hour tossed around for something like a Bell JetRanger, but they have pretty minimal payloads.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNC View Post
    Helicopters are ridiculously expensive to operate. The last conversation I had (a while ago) put the operation to maintenance time at a 1:1 ratio.
    In general terms you hear figures of $500-$600 per hour tossed around for something like a Bell JetRanger, but they have pretty minimal payloads.

In 08 on the PCT with many wildfires to get around FS was using tanker planes and copters - mostly helos(with a H20 drop basket) to drop water and fire suppression. One FS helo crew with a helo was having lunch near the PCT. I asked about the costs. At that time more than 10 yrs ago it was upwards of $1000/hr. It's also why logging operations only use helos when absolutely necessary. It's often cheaper to build a road to get the lumber to market.

Journal Entries

In 08 on the PCT with many wildfires to get around FS was using tanker planes and copters - mostly helos(with a H20 drop basket) to drop water and fire suppression. One FS helo crew with a helo was having lunch near the PCT. I asked about the costs. At that time more than 10 yrs ago it was upwards of $1000/hr. It's also why logging operations only use helos when absolutely necessary. It's often cheaper to build a road to get the lumber to market.
    Yep. I recall $925/ hr from time it lifts off a few yrs back.
    And you dont want to talk about air ambulance. Closer to $500/ minute or more. My sister in law died from anneurism some yrs ago, 1 hr flight from local hospital to major was something like $200,000.

I had a gf in college whose father got laid off from plant job, he became a helicopter pilot ferrying workers and supplies to oil rigs.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-14-2018 at 23:01.

Images

I built one back in 2007, Took me ten months to build and hauled everything in by ATVs. I still have the invoices. The shelter that sleeps ten and the privy cost me 6,500 and some odd cents. Copied the plans from one out of the GSMNP. The rock was from the creek in front of it so no cost for the stones. You can see a picture of it in my photos.

-

Quote Originally Posted by FrogLevel View Post
    It can't cost $75,000 to build some of the shelters I've seen! 3 cinder block walls, some concrete footings and a wood frame roof with tin and a wooden platform?

Am I missing something?
    one of those I could hump in and build by myself in about 2 months - around 5 thousand material

if I could get tipi humping the material 75lbs per trip we might could do one in 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskyjo View Post
    I built one back in 2007, Took me ten months to build and hauled everything in by ATVs. I still have the invoices. The shelter that sleeps ten and the privy cost me 6,500 and some odd cents. Copied the plans from one out of the GSMNP. The rock was from the creek in front of it so no cost for the stones. You can see a picture of it in my photos.
    I checked out your gallery. Is that the shelter you built sitting by a stream in a winter setting? Where is it and what is the name of the shelter, please? From what I can see, that is one fine shelter. How many people did you have help you?
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    one of those I could hump in and build by myself in about 2 months - around 5 thousand material

if I could get tipi humping the material 75lbs per trip we might could do one in 2 weeks
    LOL might get some avocados and watermelon out of it too

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskyjo View Post
    Wow, cool little structure! I would guess the cost of some of the old CCC buildings would be quite high if built today with all that stone work. But didn't think that at least the rock would be right there.

Images

It's on private property next to the GSMNP near Townsend, Tennessee. I had a group of five guys help haul up the 336 bags of 80 pound quikcrete concrete on ATVs and also help me pour the footers, I also had a rock party one day so another five folks came in to help gather rocks for a day. One day I had a couple of folks help me set the 12" logs for my rafters to sit on and the rest I did. It's called John's Hole Shelter because of the fishing spot it was built near. If you look close there is smoke coming out of the chimney because we were staying up there for a couple of days, Love the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    Wow, cool little structure! I would guess the cost of some of the old CCC buildings would be quite high if built today with all that stone work. But didn't think that at least the rock would be right there.
    Much of the CCC work done was of higher quality craftsmanship with a keen eye on functionality. Their projects often stood the test of time, made to last longer than today's all too common approach of cheaper cheaper cheaper. Cost is relative to durability, function, and waste.

Look at the buildings and masonry built by the CCC boys. Impressive.

Much of the CCC work done was of higher quality craftsmanship with a keen eye on functionality. Their projects often stood the test of time, made to last longer than today's all too common approach of cheaper cheaper cheaper. Cost is relative to durability, function, and waste.

Makes sense - in addition to what you mention (that most things were designed to last longer back at that time), you may also have:

- Less time issues, since they were attempting to help the country by providing work to those unemployed, there was not such an issue of getting labor as today when little $ is available so most times it's volunteers, which are always in short supply.
    - Less cost concern since, again, they were attempting to pump money into the economy so not being as focused on saving money on material (though they probably did anyway by using some of these more native materials like the stone).
    - Training, since in addition to providing work (and the pay that went with it), they were also providing skills that would be useful to those (mostly young) workers in the future, when "regular" jobs were more available, so taking a bit longer to get it right was OK to be sure they knew how to do the tasks well.

Added to BillyG's comments--

Thanks. I am very interested in these. There's one near me but sadly they had to shut it down due to the amount of grafitti, of which it appears to be a target. Also was in Yellowstone and the lodge (I think it might be called "Old Faithful Lodge" is an amazing structure, built without nails.) Didn't stay there but then I gather it would be crazy busy and noisy. The CCC built quite a number of beautiful lodges.

If you ever get to Mt Hood on the PCT to Timberline Lodge, to Zion NP to the Lodge, and down to current day Phantom Ranch in Grand Canyon NP appreciate the work of the CCC. The CCC did work in Shendoah NP too. Many of the overlooks on the BRPKWY were built by the CCC. The stone walls along parts of thw BR PKWY were built by the CCC. CCC planted a lot of trees and built hiking trails, hiking trails we likely have hiked on and sat under trees planted by them unknowingly.

They wanted an opp to work, to feed their families. They weren't seeking a hand out., entitlements. They demonstrated strength of character, loyality, and a work ethic.

A good portion of the CCC were not much more than boys. AND, when their country called in WW II many served and never came home.

Everytime I see their work and think about what they did on every hike I recall this. I recall gov't working for the people to provide opportunity, not people being there simply for the gov't.

If you ever get to Mt Hood on the PCT to Timberline Lodge, to Zion NP to the Lodge, and down to current day Phantom Ranch in Grand Canyon NP appreciate the work of the CCC. The CCC did work in Shendoah NP too. Many of the overlooks on the BRPKWY were built by the CCC. The stone walls along parts of thw BR PKWY were built by the CCC. CCC planted a lot of trees and built hiking trails, hiking trails we likely have hiked on and sat under trees planted by them unknowingly.

They wanted an opp to work, to feed their families. They weren't seeking a hand out., entitlements. They demonstrated strength of character, loyality, and a work ethic.

A good portion of the CCC were not much more than boys. AND, when their country called in WW II many served and never came home.

Everytime I see their work and think about what they did on every hike I recall this. I recall gov't working for the people to provide opportunity, not people being there simply for the gov't.
    The are all kinds of CCC works along the AT. Walasi-Yi Inn (Neel Gap), Blood Mt shelter, Wayah Bald lookout tower, etc. There are lots of not so noticeable works by the CCC along the trail like stone cribbing.
    More walking, less talking.

Interesting Soilman.

I'm out the door. Taking your more walking advice.

Interesting Soilman.

I'm out the door. Taking your more walking advice.

And the CCC did much more mundane work. Most of the sidewalks in this rural Iowa town were built by the CCC. My Grandfather in law was part of a crew that hand dug the sewer lines into a town with around 1000 residents,lines that are still in use today. Ever planted a tree? Now dig your hole 15 feet deep and six miles long.We have life very easy....

-

I built a house in an old neighborhood - was supposed to be charged 10$ per foot of frontage waterline tap on fee - the water dept supervisor said he was not going to charge me as that line was hand dug by the ccc in the 30's

Images

Spruce Peak Shelter in Vermont has a plaque indicating it was built by Green Mountain Club volunteers along with nearby prison inmates.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++