WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Olive Oil

mattydt20

Default Olive Oil

I've never been someone that cooks with olive oil so I don't know much about its taste. I've heard tons of reviews suggesting to bring it while hiking for a boost in calories and fat content. However, while looking in the shopping isles at the store, I have no idea which type to choose. What's the different between virgin and extra virgin? Does anyone recommend a certain brand?

Unless you're a connoisseur, you probably won't notice the difference: I don't at home. Get the best value you can.

EVOO, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, has the lightest taste and goes with just about every thing. Brands? The cheapest. Ilike to spread it on breadand toast it.

Grey Owl

It depends on what you want from it. If you are just looking for calories and "fats," any kind will do. If you want more flavor and better flavor--go with the "extra" or "extra-extra" virgin types. This is relevant to the processsing of the olives. The extras are from the first pressings and are therefore more intense. They are also more expensive but worth it depending on your use and personal taste. In general hiker cooking--pots of noodles, macaroni, or rice, most any kind will do. You can carry a small squirt bottle and add it as you cook. It is good for you--inside and out. You can make it "dual-purpose" by using it for your skin, also. Works great!
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

During several stretches of my thruhike I bought a plastic bottle of olive oil to add calories to ramen etc. Extra virgin has little taste and is healthier than margarine.

mattydt20,

You ask, “What's the different between virgin and extra virgin?”

You won’t find an “extra virgin” with so much as pierced ears.

I carry 12 oz of olive oil in a platypus little nipper bag. It holds well and is much healthier for you than squeeze margarine. The extra virgin will have a stronger pepper type flavor. It's good nutritionally on a trip like this. You can add it instead of butter to Liptons Noodles or Mac and cheese or anything calling for butter.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydt20
    I've never been someone that cooks with olive oil so I don't know much about its taste. I've heard tons of reviews suggesting to bring it while hiking for a boost in calories and fat content. However, while looking in the shopping isles at the store, I have no idea which type to choose. What's the different between virgin and extra virgin? Does anyone recommend a certain brand?
    I get extra virgin certified organtic from a health food store, properly stored in a dark bottle. This is because (a) light breaks down the beneficial anti-oxidents & neutrients, and (b) to be sure I actually get olive oil. It seems that there's more olive oil being sold than there is actually being grown....

Olive Oil Scandal
    http://www.naturodoc.com/library/New...il_scandal.htm

New Scientist News - Olive oil's benefits left on the shelf
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18725145.300.html

Doug Frost

get yourself a little squeeze bottle. Olive oil is actually calorie dense. Find a garlic flavored one and all your pasta meals will taste 10x better.

I never carried garlic but we hiked w/ Auggie who always had a bottle on him. He was happy to share the olive magic. Good stuff.

And if you are truly, truly lazy..you can buy foil packets of olive oil from minimus.biz - I bought some awhile back and they work pretty dang well.
    I use EVOO at home..on everything. Love olive oil! I am a snob though, and like only first pressing, and it better be a cold pressing. From Italy is even better.
    For cheap, go to Trader Joes!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Extra Virigin olive oil is th oil from the first pressing of the olives. It has the lowest amount of acid and the most intense flavor.

"Light olive oil" is light in calories and flavor. Bleech! Some people do like to use it for frying.

On the trail, you do not want light olive oil for obvious reasons. Any other type of olive oil is fine..on the trail!

For cooking off-trail, use extra virgin. In my opinion, it really does have a much better taste. If the oil is greenish..it is good!

Growing up, one of my favorite memories was going to my Grandma's house after church on a Sunday. The family would walk in and man...did it smell good. One of the underlying scents was olive oil, garlic and onions. The base of much of Grandma's cooking. Ah..memories.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar
    I am a snob though, and like only first pressing, and it better be a cold pressing. From Italy is even better.
    For cheap, go to Trader Joes!
    Naaah..it is not being a snob. It means you have good taste. My 85 yearold grandmother only cooks with extra virigin. My great-grandmother did (from what I remember, she passed way when I was eight or nine). If these fine cooks use evoo, then there must be something to it.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Organic, and get cold pressed extra virgin, usually can find this at health food store. I think the extra virgin actually weighs less a little bit, and is much nices to pour and use. I put mine in a bottle from antigravitygear, tall, and with a flip top, easy to squirt on food and lasts longer and no mess that way! I also ususally keep the remainder of the bottle in my bounce box and use it up.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    Naaah..it is not being a snob. It means you have good taste. My 85 yearold grandmother only cooks with extra virigin. My great-grandmother did (from what I remember, she passed way when I was eight or nine). If these fine cooks use evoo, then there must be something to it.
    There ain't nothing like EVOO and basalmic vinegar....and dipping fresh bread in it..drrrooooooooollll!

I love EVOO (jeez..I sound like Racheal Ray!) The stuff is like manna when cooking.

The only time I don't use it, is when I am using my carbon steel wok-then I use organic peanut oil.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

On my 1200 mile section hike last year, I always carried it. It is a great source of calories. I put it in nearly all my meals. Kept things from sticking to the titanium pots too. It is all good.

Bassline

++ New Posts ++