WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Adjusting an Arc Haul

I’ve watched every video I could find and searched White Blaze for tips. Any recommendations on how to adjust the arc and torso length on an Arc Haul? Do you put the pack on empty and then adjust the Arc? Tried doing it off my back but can’t seem to get both sides evenly flexed. Is the shoulder strap adjustment supposed to lock once you have it where you want it? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

The arc has to be tensioned while the pack is on the ground. I fill it up and then pull the cord to tension the frame and create the arc. I make it tight enough that I can fit the width of my hand in the largest part of the arc, about 4 inches. That also helps me get it the same on both sides. When not hiking I release the tension (e.g., every night on the trail.)

As for the torso length adjustment, I did that once and it stayed. I do think that needs to be done with a full pack with the arc all set. Then put it on and check the shoulder strap position, then adjust and iterate as needed.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post
    I’ve watched every video I could find and searched White Blaze for tips. Any recommendations on how to adjust the arc and torso length on an Arc Haul? Do you put the pack on empty and then adjust the Arc? Tried doing it off my back but can’t seem to get both sides evenly flexed. Is the shoulder strap adjustment supposed to lock once you have it where you want it? Thanks.

When did you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post

It would be courteous to the company at hand to go back and clear the air in your other thread about shipping time as it looks like you received the pack in an acceptable amount of time.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Put it on the ground and adjust it. Some people prefer more arc in the frame, some less. I found that 2" was the sweet spot for me although ZPacks recommends 2.5"

I make sure that the mesh is closer to the top so other than tying a knot (to prevent movement in the cord) at the lineloc I do all my adjustments at the bottom. I then tie half hitches with the excess cord. I haven't had a slippage problem but I have heard of it happening so I just tie the excess around itself.

You can adjust the load lifters and the length of the shoulder straps easily while wearing the pack, but better to do once loaded and on. I constantly adjust those while hiking.

Straight from the Zpacks YouTube page with easy to follow steps on what you're asking: https://youtu.be/7v2IGYFnXGU
    Last edited by capehiker; 03-13-2018 at 12:10.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    It would be courteous to the company at hand to go back and clear the air in your other thread about shipping time as it looks like you received the pack in an acceptable amount of time.
    All of the cottage industries need a some positive thoughts once in a while.........I bet Henry Shires would appreciate a note also

I updated the other thread. Not on here every day so didn't get to it. Just got the pack last night. Thanks for the help. No thanks to those on the other thread who felt the need to post snarky comments. Not necessary. We're all learning.

I put the arc in before loading that way I don't have my gear forcing back against the arc; seems to keep the linelocks from slipping when I do it this way and is much easier to handle the pack without gear already in it. I adjust the lower linelocks snug without arc then set pack on end with lower stays on the ground and pull upper lines until I get the appropriate arc (about 2 in in center) I gently load my pack up from there. Good luck!

*For the record I have the arczip with front load

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    I put the arc in before loading that way I don't have my gear forcing back against the arc; seems to keep the linelocks from slipping when I do it this way and is much easier to handle the pack without gear already in it. I adjust the lower linelocks snug without arc then set pack on end with lower stays on the ground and pull upper lines until I get the appropriate arc (about 2 in in center) I gently load my pack up from there. Good luck!

*For the record I have the arczip with front load
    I have the arcblast. Relatively inexperienced with it, but so far it seems easiest to me to arc before loading. When pulling the straps to set the arc, I focus on the straps to get symmetry rather than focusing on the height of the arc. Just works better for me so far.

The Arc Haul/Blast is pretty tough, if not impossible (at least for me), to arc while loaded. I have my frame arced well before I load it. I leave it where I want it at all times. It isn't like metal that has a memory and loses tension.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    The Arc Haul/Blast is pretty tough, if not impossible (at least for me), to arc while loaded. I have my frame arced well before I load it. I leave it where I want it at all times. It isn't like metal that has a memory and loses tension.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Same here.
    Off topic but if you make it on the Winds trip it sounds like we'll be matching!!! lol

Just a heads up. I had a problem with my Arc Haul. When I put the arc in, the metal rods bent sideways. The result was the pack was right up against my back with no arc for airflow. I thought I had done something wrong, but when I emailed Zpack about it, they had me send the pack back to them. They did something to it, and then returned the pack. Now it works great. A few other hikers told me they had the same problem. You probably won't experience this issue, but if you do, email Zpack and tell them.

I found if I arc my pack before packing my gear into it, I have a heck of a time getting stuff into the pack. This is undoubtedly a result of having too much in the pack. It happens right after I get new provisions. You might want to watch out for that if you have a lot of stuff in the backpack.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    Just a heads up. I had a problem with my Arc Haul. When I put the arc in, the metal rods bent sideways. The result was the pack was right up against my back with no arc for airflow. I thought I had done something wrong, but when I emailed Zpack about it, they had me send the pack back to them. They did something to it, and then returned the pack. Now it works great. A few other hikers told me they had the same problem. You probably won't experience this issue, but if you do, email Zpack and tell them.

I found if I arc my pack before packing my gear into it, I have a heck of a time getting stuff into the pack. This is undoubtedly a result of having too much in the pack. It happens right after I get new provisions. You might want to watch out for that if you have a lot of stuff in the backpack.
    They rods are actually carbon fiber.

It sounds like the rod had missed the side loop when the frame was added to the pack...the loop that keeps it in place when flexed. It's actually a really simple fix.

I had an Arc Blast but returned it for a few reasons, mainly due to difficulty with my canister. I could get the canister into the pack and below the main crossbar support only when un-arc-ed. And it was then hard to arc the pack once the canister was inside. If I arc-ed the pack prior to attempting to insert my canister, it would only fit in the top of the backpack and it threw my weight distribution off. It seems like a wonderful pack for use without a canister, but I wanted it specifically for trips including the Sierra Nevada.

They rods are actually carbon fiber.

It sounds like the rod had missed the side loop when the frame was added to the pack...the loop that keeps it in place when flexed. It's actually a really simple fix.
    Yes, of course, carbon fiber rods. I wasn't thinking.

No the rod didn't miss the side loop. I checked it against another hiker's Arc Haul pack. I think the problem had something to do with how the loop was positioned and sewn in. Anyway, Zpack did a really good job of fixing it. They also fixed a few of the straps that kept slipping on me. Great customer service!
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I had an Arc Blast but returned it for a few reasons, mainly due to difficulty with my canister. I could get the canister into the pack and below the main crossbar support only when un-arc-ed. And it was then hard to arc the pack once the canister was inside. If I arc-ed the pack prior to attempting to insert my canister, it would only fit in the top of the backpack and it threw my weight distribution off. It seems like a wonderful pack for use without a canister, but I wanted it specifically for trips including the Sierra Nevada.
    They actually do specify that it can only fit a canister crosswise in the top...at least that's what remember reading

They actually do specify that it can only fit a canister crosswise in the top...at least that's what remember reading
    Yeah, the site does specify that the canister will fit in the upper half of the pack. I didn't appreciate prior to ordering what that would do to the weight distribution of the backpack when the canister is full. I prefer to have the canister centered on my back when loaded and placed in the pack. Can't be done well with the crossbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Yeah, the site does specify that the canister will fit in the upper half of the pack. I didn't appreciate prior to ordering what that would do to the weight distribution of the backpack when the canister is full. I prefer to have the canister centered on my back when loaded and placed in the pack. Can't be done well with the crossbar.
    No, it can't. You are very right in that regard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++