WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    One of the primary reasons for my post was to make you "Nor-easters" jealous of our spring. Can't see them in my truck picture, but we have daffodils and hyacinth and forsythia and Bradford pears in bloom. But that's all right. Y'all can enjoy your shuvvelin'.
    mine are pushin’ up through the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    One of the primary reasons for my post was to make you "Nor-easters" jealous of our spring. Can't see them in my truck picture, but we have daffodils and hyacinth and forsythia and Bradford pears in bloom. But that's all right. Y'all can enjoy your shuvvelin'.
    mine are pushin’ up through the snow.

Whut ya!!!!!!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Wait 'till summer then we'll see who's laughing. Not us.

We got one good 8" snow out here in central NC earlier this year. Good enough for me.
    I hear ya. Midsummer I'll be looking for a cool shady spot in the Smokies.

Thought I share the "after" picture looking out my side door this morning. I'm not going anywhere for a while.
    SAM_3763.JPG
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    ...Walmart crowd injured a lady by trampling while she was getting cat food. Needless panic.
    Doesn't that happen all the time at Walmart anyway?

Journal Entries

Here's my truck this morning, again with a dusting of snow. Unlike yesterday, today it was cold enough that the dusting on the roof hadn't melted.

Here's a shot of some lovely cherry blossoms, with a light dusting of snow visible on the ground. Spring and winter are locked in combat.

Beautiful pic of the cherry blossoms.

As a Landscape Designer and horticulturalist I too appreciate what's been shared. However, contrived landscapes of man, including my own designs, pale in comparison to the botanical and floral splendor of Nature's design.

I never profoundly comprehended it until I saw what I didn't even knew existed until thru-hiking the AT. What a cherished gift.

Don't think snow and botanical and floral interest are incompatible.

On winter hikes of the AT with snow on the ground we can enjoy blooming snow drops, iris (dwarf), cyclamen, witch hazel, scilla, and crocus to name a few. Some of these have noticable fragrance.

Winter, and all seasons, is a time to botanically appreciate more than florescences. Consider bark, fruit/berries, seeds, branching patterns, stems, buds, shape, color, texture, smell, etc.

IMO, what made your cherry tree photo so beautiful included the bark/lenticil pattern, unopened buds, branch structure, and shape of the tree silouhetted against a darker backround provided by evergreen plants...not just the flowers.

Excuse the thread drift.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Don't think snow and botanical and floral interest are incompatible.

On winter hikes of the AT with snow on the ground we can enjoy blooming snow drops, iris (dwarf), cyclamen, witch hazel, scilla, and crocus to name a few. Some of these have noticable fragrance.

Winter, and all seasons, is a time to botanically appreciate more than florescences. Consider bark, fruit/berries, seeds, branching patterns, stems, buds, shape, color, texture, smell, etc.

IMO, what made your cherry tree photo so beautiful included the bark/lenticil pattern, unopened buds, branch structure, and shape of the tree silouhetted against a darker backround provided by evergreen plants...not just the flowers.

Excuse the thread drift.
    No problem about the drift.
    Interesting how your botanical knowledge doesn't get in the way and prevent you from enjoying the aesthetics of the tree.

One of the real pleasures of winter walking is discovering the subtle signs of approaching spring: the skunk cabbages poking through the icy stream edges, the hellebores and hardy bulbs flowering under the snow, the swelling buds, the witch hazel blooming even as white pine limbs are cracking under the weight of wet blobs of heavy white stuff. Thread drifts, snow drifts...

Spring might be 5 days away now, just in time for another Nor'easter It will be a while before we see any signs of spring around here.

Got another 4-5" of snow over night. Looks like we might get a break for a few days this weekend before the next storm.

And it's not just NH and Maine. The Green Mountains are also being hammered, along with western Mass and into CT.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

We got snow in San Antonio Texas awhile back. Driving in the snow for the first time was a bit nerve wracking for me.

The next day it was gone
    Lived here for years. Second time I've seen snow here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++