WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default ATC Removes Shuttle List

I read on a Facebook AT group post yesterday that the ATC has removed the list of shuttle drivers available to hikers on the AT. I did check the ATC web site and found the transportation page still on the web site, but I could not find the direct link to the shuttle driver list. The closest I could come to it was a link to Trek.co where they have an abbreviated list.

The rumor has it that many shuttle drivers are not licensed and insured, and because of that the ATC removed the list to mitigate their exposure. It was even said that in one state the state police visited shuttle drivers to remind them of their legal requirements.

Not sure how much of this information is accurate. For all I know the ATC may have moved the shuttle list to a different spot on their web site. Anyone have more information? More importantly, does anyone have the 2018 list downloaded and willing to share it?
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Shuttle list in my signiture
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

As Gambit says, whiteblaze has an excellent shuttle driver list, which is what I have been using:

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/at-shuttles.php

Please feel free to share the link of FB when people mention that the ATC list has been taken down.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

Please feel free to share the link of FB when people mention that the ATC list has been taken down.
    I saw the same post. Tried finding it but it's lost to the hundred new posts since then.

Images

googling "ATC shuttle list" rather than trying to find the link on the website locates this rather easily-

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...s.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    googling "ATC shuttle list" rather than trying to find the link on the website locates this rather easily-http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...s.pdf?sfvrsn=0
    Thanks. I've downloaded it in case they remove it. Unfortunate we live in such a litigious society.

I can't locate it either (and that tdoczi link is not working for me). I hope it's a temporary glitch and not a permanent state of affairs. I've gotten every shuttler I've used on the AT from that list and have linked to it more times than I can count when people start threads here at WB asking about shuttlers.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Images

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I can't locate it either (and that tdoczi link is not working for me). I hope it's a temporary glitch and not a permanent state of affairs. I've gotten every shuttler I've used on the AT from that list and have linked to it more times than I can count when people start threads here at WB asking about shuttlers.
    link still works for me.

heres a link to the relevant google search, maybe try that. the pdf is the second hit from the top. do not click on the first, which takes you to the webpage that supposedly does not have the link ay longer.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.5GTzfNyRd-Q

Do and out/back, double the miles, double the smiles.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I read on a Facebook AT group post yesterday that the ATC has removed the list of shuttle drivers available to hikers on the AT. I did check the ATC web site and found the transportation page still on the web site, but I could not find the direct link to the shuttle driver list. The closest I could come to it was a link to Trek.co where they have an abbreviated list.

The rumor has it that many shuttle drivers are not licensed and insured, and because of that the ATC removed the list to mitigate their exposure. It was even said that in one state the state police visited shuttle drivers to remind them of their legal requirements.

Not sure how much of this information is accurate. For all I know the ATC may have moved the shuttle list to a different spot on their web site. Anyone have more information? More importantly, does anyone have the 2018 list downloaded and willing to share it?
    this is true . they have removed the list of shuttle drivers . i received a email yesterday about the atc removing the list and the cops checking people is true . i heard that they set up a sting on a shuttle driver and when the shuttle driver arrived they fined them for not having the proper paperwork ( insurance ) . there is not a law to be licensed in ga or nc to deliver people to their destination but you do need insurance . the only time you need a special license is when you are carrying more then 8 people in one vehicle . this probably would not be a problem but people are camping out at the gaps and not following the lnt buy sticking their cards all over the signs and in shelters .the government wants their hands in the cookie jar too . they are not going to let people get away with making money without them getting a piece of the pie . i have jumped through big hoops and small hoops to make my company legal . gotta pay the piper if you want to play ... peace my friends

In many cities, taxi drivers have used political influence to stomp on Uber and other car sharing schemes and I suspect this is the same type of thing going on but in rural areas. And hikers will be the ones harmed through either fewer shuttle options, higher prices, or a combination of both.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Looks like there is the Acorn Guide now.

It could be either the ATC didn't want to take liability of not offering to advertise interested shuttle services, or not take liability when there is a bad shuttle experience.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Shuttles should’ve kept it word of mouth, don’t advertise, or pay the rates and go in business.

Thanks for the links to the WB and ATC shuttle lists.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thefurther View Post
    ...the government wants their hands in the cookie jar too....
    Sorry, but "the government" has better things to do than harass a handful of shuttle drivers, no matter how much in vogue it has become to harangue "the government." Fact is, such petty actions are often the machinations of some jealous competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Unfortunate we live in such a litigious society.
    While this is a popular refrain from the insurance industry and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, it's a canard, a myth, a lie in other words. We're not as litigious society these days as was the case back in the days of Revolutionary America. Studies on litigation filed show that more lawsuits were filed, per capita, in the past than today. Same for the size of jury awards.
    Last edited by Alligator; 03-15-2018 at 13:26. Reason: Politics deleted.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Excuse me, but do not imply that I am a liar. I said that we live in a litigious society, which is my opinion based on my years in business and going through my life. I did not compare the current state of litigation to any past period in time. So save the accusations of lies for someone willing to put up with it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Sorry, but "the government" has better things to do than harass a handful of shuttle drivers, no matter how much in vogue it has become to harangue "the government." Fact is, such petty actions are often the machinations of some jealous competition.

While this is a popular refrain from the insurance industry and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, it's a canard, a myth, a lie in other words. We're not as litigious society these days as was the case back in the days of Revolutionary America. Studies on litigation filed show that more lawsuits were filed, per capita, in the past than today. Same for the size of jury awards.
    no they may not care about the shuttle driver but they do care about the taxes that are not being paid .
    Last edited by Alligator; 03-15-2018 at 13:27. Reason: Quoted post was previously edited.

Images

this is a huge money business happening right now as we speak . the trail is becoming a huge trend for people and is generating huge income for people and towns that surround the trails . you think that this is not political ???

Quote Originally Posted by Thefurther View Post
    this is a huge money business happening right now as we speak . the trail is becoming a huge trend for people and is generating huge income for people and towns that surround the trails . you think that this is not political ???
    I've never had the impression that trail towns are making bank from the presence of hikers, many of whom are on serious budgets. I have had the impression that trail towns are full of kind and generous folks offering hikers rides, lodging, and more at reasonable prices or even for free. The fact that informal shuttle networks exist is, however, a big threat to the money making interests like taxi cabs which have vigorously defended their turf in cities and apparently now in rural America as well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I've never had the impression that trail towns are making bank from the presence of hikers, many of whom are on serious budgets. I have had the impression that trail towns are full of kind and generous folks offering hikers rides, lodging, and more at reasonable prices or even for free. The fact that informal shuttle networks exist is, however, a big threat to the money making interests like taxi cabs which have vigorously defended their turf in cities and apparently now in rural America as well.
    rei , outdoors world , best western , barefoot hills , mtn crossing , atc , seasons , outdoor 76 , mtn outfitters , outlaw donkey , back country , western mountaineering , oboz , solomen , hole in the wall , budget inn , micheals Italian , big als pizza , ingles , wally world , the baymont , country inn a sweets , paddys taxi , Blairsville taxi , tog , all the shuttle drivers in this area of ga and nc ... this is just a few of the places that are profiting from hikers in my area . all of them have employees that live in these small towns . most of these business were once small and had huge debt but now are profiting and growing . the ones that i named that are in Blairsville or Hiawassee are small businesses that cater to hikers and are owned by small town people . some of their income comes from hikers that come into town to stay the night , resupply , clean up and get some food . usually brought to town by a shuttle driver that is from the area . this is just a little tid bit of trail politics ..... it is only getting bigger ... there is a new breed of hikers out here . they have the money to hike comfortably and are coming from all over the world to hike the a.t. .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++