WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Heights terrify me, and too much time was spent overplanning for a nightmare that never happened. In retrospect, the AT has a lot of "you gotta be kidding me moments" as opposed to scary views. Lehigh Gap and to a much lesser extent Baldpate East were scary to me, while Katahdin and Wildcat Mountain (full disclosure: it was VERY cloudy) didn't come off as places you could fall from.
    Focusing on your hand placement and footing means there is no time to dwell on the fear of heights. Years ago another WB member said something to the effect "don't let your fear of heights limit your experience on the trail". I think she nailed it.
    Last edited by Recalc; 03-14-2018 at 17:44.

Quote Originally Posted by NJdreamer View Post
    I thought Knifes Edge in PA was scary. I went southbound and was alone on the rocks when I backpacked it. I had to do parts on my butt, not walk it, out of fear, but was able to keep myself moving. It helped that it was getting dark, and I did not want to be on the rocks in the dark. Can anyone comment about how Knifes Edge and other places noted above compare to the white AT trail at Lehigh Gap? (I am aware there is a winter blue trail.) Thanks.

Lehigh Gap has switchbacks.

If the dark increases the fear/uncomfortability factor stay off this kind of terrain when it's dark.

No need to veer that far out on Tinker Cliffs. Same with Half Dome...enjoy the HD summit without venturing out to the precipice of the Diving Board.

Knifes Edge isn't part of the non IAT AT. As said, no need to go over Dragon's Tooth. Walk around it.

I don't mind looking out over a great expanse, but damn, I'm staying a good 5 feet from the edge of a cliff, thank you very much.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

sorry I can't answer the question since I've not hiked the trail yet....I've watched a lot of youtube vlogs and haven't seen anything that overly frightens me except McAfee's Knob.

I've gotten myself over some of my acrophobia...but don't think someone with it like me will ever get completely numb to it. I started way back while I was about college age, forcing myself to ride things at Carowinds that went upside down. After college working in a paper mill I forced myself to do things like climbing high ladders, walking on grid floor mezzanines many stories high. Forcing myself do those things help, but....

This past summer I took the family out west. I did ok for the most part at the Grand Canyon...but there were a few places I stayed far away from the edge. It was Horseshoe Bend that really freaked me out. Took me several weeks to stop shivering when I just thought about it.

Another thought...something you wont find on the AT.... I saw a documentary not long ago about speed climbers over in Europe. Folks that got bored doing regular mountain climbing up those huge peaks so they started running up. Showed a guy literally running...a full out run... along one of the knife edges. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I don't mind looking out over a great expanse, but damn, I'm staying a good 5 feet from the edge of a cliff, thank you very much.
    I’m the same way. I did Precipice trail in Acadia and thats the scariest I’ve done. Crawled on hands and knees on some of it.

Besides the sections already mentioned, theres one short section just before, either Avery or West peak, in the Bigelows where you skirt a cliff edge with a steep drop off. The slab going up East BaldPate is pretty steep. Kinda cool looking at it from West Bald Pate. Looks vertical. Mahoosuc Arm is similar, but there are roots and trees to grab if you need them. Coming out of Old Speck pond is pretty open and exposed and steep. Great views though if you plant your feet and try not to fall off the mountain. Gulfside trail near Jefferson is another spot, Edmonds Col? I think.

Most people, by the time they get up here, are pretty immune to heights. I’m much better than I used to be. Kinda got used to, although Table Rock in Grafton Notch terrifies me.

Do not try this. These people have gone through training before ever attempting to this extreme!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjcPO5TxkZ8

I've been terrified of heights for a very long time. Not really sure what started it. But I refuse to let it completely stop me. I took up rock climbing when I was younger. I can climb if I can top rope. "lead" climbing - not such good results. I down climbed after getting about 3/4 of the way up my first climb in the Whites. Yes. I was more afraid of going further up then I was of down climbing.

But I was the one on all the roller coaster rides with my nieces and nephews and then my own son. And those "tower of terror" things too where they lift you up and drop you. I also hate flying.

But I do all that and I refuse to stop hiking because there are a few "drop offs" out there. I'm too embarrassed to explain what goes through my mind and body when I get to one, especially if it's unexpected and sudden (like right around a corner).
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Do not try this. These people have gone through training before ever attempting to this extreme!

Nope nope nope. Ain't gonna watch that stuff. No. Just no. The stuff of nightmares.

More evidence that the brain isn’t fully formed till we’ll after adolescence.

-

as others have said the way to overcome fear of heights is gradual increasing exposure

- in my career I have gone from losing any fear to at times being so numb that I lost respect for heights

-

I knew a guy that did a hand stand on the rail of a 30ish floor balcony - and went over

Just came here to say I am also fearful of heights in my normal day to day, and experience a reduced fear of the heights in the wilderness. I think it’s reduced because I’m more relaxed when I’m hikin but not relaxed enough to feel ok with drop offs or “scenic views”. Lots of spots on trail like this. Thanks to whoever posted that parkour bobo. Now I’m gonna barf!

Images

Mt Race in MA. 1/2 mile walk along a cliff. most of it is wider but there's one bit where the treadway is about 2 ft wide and then a 800-1000ft dropoff. I have my own issues with heights though doing more and more of the trail has helped me with it, this one gave me much anxiety before and during...
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Registered User TheMidlifeHiker's Avatar

I wouldn't say I'm terrified of heights but I definitely get the weak kneed feeling on drop offs like the ones you describe. My advice would be to not let it hold you back - go for it! You can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    as others have said the way to overcome fear of heights is gradual increasing exposure ...
    Psychiatrists have recommended it too.

Go do the glass bridge over the Grand Canyon, or better yet, the one in China.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Go do the glass bridge over the Grand Canyon, or better yet, the one in China.
    Is the China one that's got a transparent LCD built into the glass, so it fake "cracks" while you walk on it?

Journal Entries

If you ever make it out to Utah visit Zion National Park. I went out for a three week hiking trip and was told about Angel's Landing. I look over the information and went for it. They did have Go Cameras back then but click on the link and check it out for yourself.
    Blackheart

Not certain what I have, but I hate being forced to walk along any exposure of more than 20 feet or more. I don't recall anything in the south that gave me any concern, but going up Lehigh Gap was a lesson in not looking back and just keeping focused on one step at a time. From that point (especially ME) there are several spots where you are going up or down rock faces that a fall would either cause serious injury or worse. There are a few other spots where I just chose not to look around and kept going. As others have said, above treeline on Katahdin, there are a few spots where you are climbing or shimmying around on rocks where the drop offs less than two feet away are hundreds of feet. If you are NOBO the trail will prepare you slowly to deal with it. I was even concerned my last night at the Birches if I could handle the exposures on Katahdin, but with the excitement of the final day and the sheer excitement of going up Katahdin, I just stayed in the moment and focused on my next step only. No looking back. I thought the climb up Katahdin was hands down the best day of the entire trail.

The trip down Abol trail from Tableland is not as harrowing as the Hunt Trail, but it does have a section of steep rocks that require some patience. At that point, I was floating on emotion, so it was no problem. Once you go so far, you won't quit because of an exposure. As my hiking partner always told me, "an 80 year old woman did this thing, there is a way".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++