WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Firescald knob half way to Erwin is also an exposed knife edge with uncertain footing. They did the best they could, but it's a bit choppy. It's actually a lot of fun, if not slow, on a good day. On a bad day, you'd be wise to use the bypass. Not the kind of place you'd want to be in a blowing sideways rain.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

It's interesting how different people perceive heights. For me Angels Landing at Zion wasn't that big of a deal. Probably the scariest experience I've had is coming down Shepherd Pass, a side trail coming down off the JMT/PCT in early season conditions. When I look at the photos of that day, they aren't as dramatic as I remember. But it felt dramatic at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NCC1701 View Post
    If so where is it so I can find a picture and see if I can handle it. I realize there are high mountain ranges/altitude. That's not the problem. Its the shear drop offs. Thanks.
    NC, to me the "bottom line" is that there are a few places where you'd feel exposed, but you can handle it. Why do I think that? Because fear of heights is a common thing, and many people who think they have this fear have hiked on the AT. The one place I can think of - and I've done most of NH, NY, VA, and ME - is Katahdin. But even there it's not what you describe, where you're on a narrow ledge looking down 1000 feet, I can't think of a single place on the AT like that.

Also, these are really not "high" mountains. Rockies, Alps, those are big huge mountains. The Appalachians are gentle by comparison, but can be rocky and steep in places.

One more thing, once I was up there I think the adreneline took over and that helped a lot. I just HAD to see some of those views! I think the overwhelmingness (?) took over and while I felt it coming on, it wasn't nearly as bad as anywhere else like at home.
    - Trail name: Thumper

I've got fear of heights - or rather, fear of high edges, because I'm not usually scared to fly in an airplane (bad turbulence does get to me). Anyway, the problem with high edges is that you're just one lightheaded spell or stumble from a long drop and a short stop.

IIRC someone upthread mentioned 5 feet distance - that strikes me as pretty reasonable to mitigate that risk, assuming level ground.

When I try to compare perilous spots in all those places I’ve hiked, I don’t think there was any place on the AT that un-nerved me to the point I turn to jelly. For sure, some were worse than others.

There was a spot on the Long Trail in Vermont that had me fearing for my life, and that was the climb up the Forehead on Mt. Mansfield.

The day I did this was bright and sunny, but what made it worse, was I nearly fell off the cliff. The trail is quite narrow with a wall on one side, and a drop off on the other.

A hiker approached me from the opposite direction, and in an act of stupidity, I faced the wall and stepped backward expecting something to be there. I fell backward and hung off the cliff with my legs.

I couldn’t pull myself up with the weight of my pack, but thankfully the hiker lent his hand to pull me up.

After composing myself for many minutes, I came to a spot where the trail climbs up a shear 6 foot high wall. That may not sound like much but the trail here is about 18 inches wide, with a good 100 foot drop off on the other side of the trail. The thought of that drop off while scampering up that smooth slick wall was harrowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a healthy fear of being on the edge of lethally high drop-offs, so I try not to get too close to them. While night hiking in Maine once I followed the beaten path instead of the blazes and the beaten path went to what must have been a stunning scenic overlook by day. I came two steps from walking off a cliff. That was sobering.

Reducing my focus helps me. Gradually incorporate climbing and ridge line hiking and mountaineering. Try slack lining. Begin by walking curbs. Try walking a balance beam on the ground. Gradually raise the height off the ground being spotted if necessary while wearing a loaded pack. Learn to address through solutions of overcoming rather than magnify phobias.

Honest to god. My hands are sweating reading this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++