WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default cuben fiber tarps -- pricing stable or likely to come down?

My real question is whether or not cuben fiber fabric is going to stay stable in price or might come down.

Anyone have any idea? Seems like the patents should be expired.

===========================

Background.

I was looking at 8'x10" or 8'x12' tarps.

The fabric looks like it is $32.00 per running yard at 54" or 9' (when doubled) x 12' or 2 units per yard for 12' or 4 yards. 8x32=$256.00

An 8x10' tarp purchased as a tarp is $355.00. Or 8.5' x 10' rectangle - $275. 7.7 ounces

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/product...mposite-fabric

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.co...SABEgKxgfD_BwE

http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/tarps.shtml

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/dy...posite-fabric/ -- heavier fabric.

http://graysoncobb.com/diy-two-ounce-tarp/

http://www.carryology.com/insights/i...light-fabrics/

I want to read these opinions. Let em rip.

Why do you want a cuben tarp?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I should add. Yes cuben is expensive but at least your looking at it from a manufacturers standpoint on price. They're not charging ridiculous prices as some people would claim. They charge a reasonable fee to produce these goods. Materials cost is expensive for them too.

But no I don't see DCF getting much cheaper and time soon.

But once again... What are the reasons you want a Cuben tarp?

Don't just do it cause they're lighter. Lighter is not always better. What applications is this tarp for?

In the short term it will probably stay around the same price. Long term it might come down. There is a lot of research going on with DCF — ballistics applications to protect against IEDs, Dyneema carbon fiber materials for race cars, new variants for aviation/space applications. The more uses found for DCF the more is made the lower the price. Supply and demand.

Geek aside, if you want a DCF tarp and can afford it buy it. Or wait for the off season holiday discounts. Some of those are pretty good deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A state of the DCF market report, on WB?

Journal Entries

I don't think the market for Cuben is big enough that it matters. Much of the cost of Cuben gear is the fact that has to be made by hand by skilled people, and can't simply be farmed out to any sewing shop in taiwan.

Images

[QUOTE=Elaikases;2199650]My real question is whether or not cuben fiber fabric is going to stay stable in price or might come down.

Anyone have any idea? Seems like the patents should be expired.

===========================

Background.

I was looking at 8'x10" or 8'x12' tarps.

The fabric looks like it is $32.00 per running yard at 54" or 9' (when doubled) x 12' or 2 units per yard for 12' or 4 yards. 8x32=$256.00

An 8x10' tarp purchased as a tarp is $355.00. Or 8.5' x 10' rectangle - $275. 7.7 ounces

I don't know if the price will ever come down in the near future.

It appears to be a relatively specialized product ( at least in terms of manufacturing volume ) to generate enough competition between mfg.

The raw material itself appears to be some form of plastic that is easy to come by but creating it into a use able product is tough to do ( speculation on my part ) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-...t_polyethylene

I too, have noticed that the retail price for the fabric, is quite high compared to what one can purchase as a usable product. That is a head scratcher for me. I am sure there is a rational answer. Just, don't know what it is.

just an opinion.

“Good Lord,” he murmured, “good Lord! What will you people do next? Look here. What's your basis of applying freight rates, anyhow?” he suddenly vociferated with furious sarcasm. “What's your rule? What are you guided by?”But at the words, S. Behrman, who had kept silent during the heat of the discussion, leaned abruptly forward. For the only time in his knowledge, Dyke saw his face inflamed with anger and with the enmity and contempt of all this farming element with whom he was contending.“Yes, what's your rule? What's your basis?” demanded Dyke, turning swiftly to him.S. Behrman emphasised each word of his reply with a tap of one forefinger on the counter before him:“All—the—traffic—will—bear.”

I was looking at a replacement for polycro that might last a little longer. Not at the price.

It appears to be a relatively specialized product ( at least in terms of manufacturing volume ) to generate enough competition between mfg.

The raw material itself appears to be some form of plastic that is easy to come by but creating it into a use able product is tough to do ( speculation on my part )https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-...t_polyethylene

I too, have noticed that the retail price for the fabric, is quite high compared to what one can purchase as a usable product. That is a head scratcher for me. I am sure there is a rational answer. Just, don't know what it is.

I've been impressed that the profit margins are so narrow,

I was really looking to replace a polycro tarp. Looking for something in the same weight area.

But I just wince at the prices.

On the polycro alternatives:

I've been very happy with mine. Basically a use in case of emergencies tarp for setting up a tent in the rain. I use sheet bend knots and a ridgeline rope and it has worked well on section hikes. Weighs around six ounces (including shock cord and tent pegs). Keeps the tent underneath it dry and kept me dry setting up.

I was thinking the cuben fiber would last longer, but the price difference is huge. $350 vs. $7.50. For that I can replace the tarp on occasion.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    “Good Lord,” he murmured, “good Lord! What will you people do next? Look here. What's your basis of applying freight rates, anyhow?” he suddenly vociferated with furious sarcasm. “What's your rule? What are you guided by?”But at the words, S. Behrman, who had kept silent during the heat of the discussion, leaned abruptly forward. For the only time in his knowledge, Dyke saw his face inflamed with anger and with the enmity and contempt of all this farming ele1ment with whom he was contending.“Yes, what's your rule? What's your basis?” demanded Dyke, turning swiftly to him.S. Behrman emphasised each word of his reply with a tap of one forefinger on the counter before him:“All—the—traffic—will—bear.”
    lmao................I believe I stated that there must be a rational answer.

The poor child was traumatized by the actions of a world gone mad and unfortunately never quite got over it.

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post
    lmao................I believe I stated that there must be a rational answer.
    The poor child was traumatized by the actions of a world gone mad and unfortunately never quite got over it.
    Not sure why this is so funny, but it is the Internet after all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Not sure why this is so funny, but it is the Internet after all.

AAAhhh................I got my libertertarians mixed up.

Norris was a family relation. First I've ever heard him quoted. In that work he names long gone family members. We're you aware of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post
    I was looking at a replacement for polycro that might last a little longer. Not at the price.

The raw material itself appears to be some form of plastic that is easy to come by but creating it into a use able product is tough to do ( speculation on my part )https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-...t_polyethylene

I've been impressed that the profit margins are so narrow,

I was really looking to replace a polycro tarp. Looking for something in the same weight area.

But I just wince at the prices.

On the polycro alternatives:

I've been very happy with mine. Basically a use in case of emergencies tarp for setting up a tent in the rain. I use sheet bend knots and a ridgeline rope and it has worked well on section hikes. Weighs around six ounces (including shock cord and tent pegs). Keeps the tent underneath it dry and kept me dry setting up.

I was thinking the cuben fiber would last longer, but the price difference is huge. $350 vs. $7.50. For that I can replace the tarp on occasion.

Well if a $7 tarp is working fine for you. I wouldn't replace it with a $300 tarp.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Norris was a family relation. First I've ever heard him quoted. In that work he names long gone family members. We're you aware of that?
    YOU are related to Chuck Norris!? WOW, I am quite envious!

Lol nah...not that norris ...as far as I know. Chuck Norris has posted here though in the long runnING CN humor threads. Might want to browse through them far a laugh

I'm a Chuck though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    A state of the DCF market report, on WB?
    BPL ain't doing it. They are far to interested in spending all their time supporting (read - making excuses for) their garbage forum software, charging people to post, and producing very little content in return. But for $97 dollars a year, you can post, sell stuff, and get access to skills webinars which they say they will make.

Or you can hang out at WB or r/ultralight and get all that for free.

Quote Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
    BPL ain't doing it. They are far to interested in spending all their time supporting (read - making excuses for) their garbage forum software, charging people to post, and producing very little content in return. But for $97 dollars a year, you can post, sell stuff, and get access to skills webinars which they say they will make.

Or you can hang out at WB or r/ultralight and get all that for free.

Wow ! Throw them all under the bus .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++