WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default are ear infections common on the at?

Just wondering. I got one twice, recently, out west, both times after hiking in wet weather. Since you AT guys are hiking in the rain all the time, I'm wondering how common this is out there...
    Thanks!

No. My 10 years on the trail and more than that in hiking web pages like this have never once even heard about ear infections. On the Navy ships I was on we found that those people who frequently cleaned their ears with a q-tip had MORE infections than those who did not.

I've never heard about anyone getting an ear infection on any of the trails, except for you. Your infection was probably started before you hit the trail.

Default are ear infections common on the at?

ok, thanks guys... just thinking, cause it's a fungus infection, so, I'm out hiking in the woods, where the mushrooms are growing, so seems like the conditions might be right out there....
    but, if that's the case, I shouldn't be the only one this is happening too...

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    I've never heard about anyone getting an ear infection on any of the trails, except for you. Your infection was probably started before you hit the trail.
    Bingo! We have a winner. I said the same thing. Several times.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    Bingo! We have a winner. I said the same thing. Several times.
    Wayne
    Hey W, don't break your arm patting yourself on the back, ok?
    Spirit says it was PROBABLY started before I hit the trail - which COULD be true. Or not.

Hmm. I'm thinking blaming mushrooms growing in the woods on my athletes feet.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Hey W, don't break your arm patting yourself on the back, ok?
    Spirit says it was PROBABLY started before I hit the trail - which COULD be true. Or not.
    Right on.
    Definitely the rain did it.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Only if you were eating them.
    Blackheart

I hiked with a fellow who thought he had an ear infection. He tried treating it with over the counter meds but it kept bothering him. He finally went to a clinic in PA an found out he had a massive buildup of ear wax.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I hiked with a fellow who thought he had an ear infection. He tried treating it with over the counter meds but it kept bothering him. He finally went to a clinic in PA an found out he had a massive buildup of ear wax.
    Ok. Mine's an ear infection, tho. Doctor verified.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Only if you were eating them.
    Well, I'm thinkin, mushrooms are a fungus, and if conditions are right for mushrooms to grow, ergo conditions are right for other types of funguses, (more properly known as fungi), and I have a fungus infection, then - I mean ergo - it was likely walking around in those conditions what did it! RIGHT???

Well, I'm thinkin, mushrooms are a fungus, and if conditions are right for mushrooms to grow, ergo conditions are right for other types of funguses, (more properly known as fungi), and I have a fungus infection, then - I mean ergo - it was likely walking around in those conditions what did it! RIGHT???
    Err, well, not really.

That's kinda like saying, "Well, I'm thinkin, trees are a plant, and if conditions are right for plants to grow, ergo conditions are right for other types of plants, (more properly known as vegitation), and I have a tree growing, then - I mean ergo - it was likely I was walking around in those conditions what did it!"

You're ear fungus and your favorite forest floor fungus are not even as related as trees are to other plants and the conditions they grow in are obviously very different also unless you've been shoveling dirt and tree roots into your ears. Fun and interesting thought until you appreciate the diversity of fungi, which is pretty amazing.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Err, well, not really.

That's kinda like saying, "Well, I'm thinkin, trees are a plant, and if conditions are right for plants to grow, ergo conditions are right for other types of plants, (more properly known as vegitation), and I have a tree growing, then - I mean ergo - it was likely I was walking around in those conditions what did it!"

You're ear fungus and your favorite forest floor fungus are not even as related as trees are to other plants and the conditions they grow in are obviously very different also unless you've been shoveling dirt and tree roots into your ears. Fun and interesting thought until you appreciate the diversity of fungi, which is pretty amazing.
    Yeah. And canaries are way different than people. Still, they both need certain similar conditions in order to thrive. For example, oh, oxygen. I hear miners used to take canaries into the mines, and if the canary died, the miner knew to get out!
    And on a forest floor, there will be diverse plant life. You might have, I don't know, a Georgia Pine over here and a blackberry bush over there. They are WAY different. Still, they will share the need for certain common conditions - temperatures, soil, rainfall....
    So - back to my theory. Yes, ear fungus is way different than forest mushrooms. (DUH). But - they are both fungi, and if conditions are ripe for one to be able to grow, it still might mean - diverse though they may be- conditions would be ripe for the other.
    So, that was my theory. And I figure those conditions are likely pretty prevalent on the AT. So, I was thinking that if I was correct, then you guys would be saying, "yeah, we get these infections a lot out here" - but that doesn't seem to be the case. So that tells me my theory has a fly in the ointment!
    (hmm... I just remembered something from my youthful days. I think they told me cow dung was a good place to find certain types of mushrooms)...hmm...

Remember what the door mouse said

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Remember what the door mouse said
    Now you're bringing back memries! And Makin me smile

\

Ahh, no. Different genus, species, and somewhat environmental growing conditions. Then again do your ears have a forest of hair growing in them?

Do you need some manscaping?

\

Ahh, no. Different genus, species, and somewhat environmental growing conditions. Then again do your ears have a forest of hair growing in them?
    Well, I don't know about genus and species. There were 4 boys and 20 girls in my biology class, and it was junior high. I was distracted!
    And Dog - stop being gross!

Journal Entries

Jefals

I wasn't and did not mean to make light of your ear problem, but many times in this forum people come in asking for medical advice. I have yet to meet a medical doctor in here or see one post answer. I do have my MBA but that don't mean di*k squat on the trail.

I making light of what DW was saying about mushrooms. Sorry if you thought is was directed towards yourself.
    Blackheart

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++