WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ideas for 3-ish day hike in SOUTH, end of march NOT AT

plans change!
    Need ideas for 2-3 night mountain hike, in maybe North GA, SC, Southern parts of NC ....and not on the AT. A loop would likely be best. Not making huge miles....

SO I've been planning to do a trail hike this summer, maybe with my son, for a week. Leaning to do the AT, Springer to Neel, but in a more recent thread thinking about tying together with some rafting....

BUT it looks like that might be out

Looks like I may have other plans for the summer now crashing my hopes for a mountain hike. Also, I thought my kid's spring break would be a family activity, but due to commitments that can't happen till the latter half of the week....
    so
    I find myself with vacation time off & possibly with a little time to do a hike in the mountains, although shorter than the week I had been thinking, at the end of this month.
    the loose idea is....drive up from N. Florida Saturday, 2-3 nights backpacking, then drive mid week to meet the family someplace for some city fun...maybe Charleston, maybe Asheville.... I have no idea.
    But I know I want to stay away from the AT this time of year. No sense in adding to the pressure on that ecosystem!

Suggestions?

Default ideas for 3-ish day hike in SOUTH, end of march NOT AT

Linville Gorge, Black Mountain Crest Trail, Foothills Trail, Art Loeb, MST would all put you close to Asheville and be lots of fun.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I thru hiked the art loeb and wasnt too impressed. It had it's moments but overall not worth the trouble.

The foothills is amazing. Thru hiked it twice, sectioned all over it. Great pocket map available at both terminus state parks. If time was limited, any part is awesome, but would skip the Chatooga river section. Maybe Bad creek east to Table rock. Bring your rain gear, haha. Bad creek is a great place to park and the Foothills trail association has people that will shuttle you. Just throw them a little cash. List is on their website. Outside the AT and PCT, the FHT is my favorite trail. Dozen big waterfalls, well maintained, blazed, lots of water, not crowded (minus burrels ford), easy hitching or shuttle, great trailheads, and close to Nantahala outdoor center for rafting on the chatooga. Class IV but not bad at all. Also it crosses over the highest peak in SC. Not that high but a pretty view. This trail is worth a thruhike. It is like a mini southern AT. I used to live in Augusta, GA and the foothills is where I fell in love with hiking. Now I have thru hiked the LT, AT, and PCT, among a few others, and can still say the foothills is top 5.

Bartram trail. Favorite parts are Rabun bald and Scaly mountain. They are within a day or two hike of each other with great parking. A really nice overnighter is park at Osage outlook, then hike up and over scaly mountain to a established camp (Tesentee camp or something. There is a sign). Then return having lunch on top of Scaly.
    Been a few years. I would say the foothills is better though.

Maybe BMT?
    AT, Long Trail, Loyalsock Trail, Art Loeb Trail, Cranberry Lake 50, Foothills Trail, PCT, CDT, Uinta Highline Trail, Lone Star Trail, Oregon Coast Trail, Sheltowee Trace Trail, BMT, AZT

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

NC: South Mtns SP, Mountains to Sea Trail (Mt Mitchell-GrandFather); Wilson Creek has some really tough rapids. And its less than an hour to the NC/TN AT.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

check out Panthertown Wilderness --really neat place.

Foothills trail. In fact, I'm heading out there this week myself.

The Pinhoti Trail....? not sure about city fun though...

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    check out Panthertown Wilderness --really neat place.
    Panthertown Valley is what i should've said.

I can't seem to catch a break!
    Thanks for the great ideas. Turns out I can't get out till a couple days after I thought so not enough time to make the mountains.... Oh well, I've got some great ideas for the future. That foothills trails is just a tad closer to home and looks very promising. I ordered some maps.
    Some of the others look great for making up loops. Ordered some maps for there too....

++ New Posts ++