WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Do you really want to go down that road? You already ticked off the quilt cheerleaders today.
    The AT east coast WB hit men will be after ya.
    Oh, I love the AT as well, don't get me wrong. But for me being up over 10,000 feet ... can't beat it! And most of the AT is hot/humid in summer so it wouldn't be much of an escape for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Dude message me; I hammocked the whole trail last year and it was awesome.

I did not tie knots.
    Dude??????
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Quote Originally Posted by BowGal View Post
    Dude??????
    I use dude as more a gender inspecific reactive.

Anyway, who cares, let me know if you have hammock questions

Triggered. Stop while you're still able to climb out of the hole you've dug. Take it from a ditch digger himself.

Gender inspecific reactive? Best I've heard all day.

Images

Those little "pill" wipes require a fair bit of water to rehydrate and are NOT biodegradable so must be packed out. May want to reconsider TP. Test before taking only the wipes.

Wipes are awesome for hygiene; less awesome as pure TP. You’ll have to pack those out.

Also, dealing with a bounce box totally sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    Those little "pill" wipes require a fair bit of water to rehydrate and are NOT biodegradable so must be packed out. May want to reconsider TP. Test before taking only the wipes.
    I don't know which ones she bought but the ones I bought ARE biodegradable EZ Towel with New Durable Tube and Packaging, 50 Pieces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JWQY40..._0.mSAbK9M8QGC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    I watched a YouTube video of a guy testing the Wysi wipes. He dipped one of the tabs in water for less than 1 sec.
    - Finis Mitchell

Yes, they are easy to unfurl. You could probably wipe them on the morning dew resting on the rhododendron leaves in the morning to moisten them enough to unfurl. :-)

I watched a YouTube video of a guy testing the Wysi wipes. He dipped one of the tabs in water for less than 1 sec.
    Let me go

Is there a specific reason for a February start? A member on here (Map Man) has compiled a whole bunch of data that shows the statistically best odds to complete a thru hike is to begin in late March to early April. If you were to start later, your sleep system would be fine and you wouldnt need micro spikes. You’ve got a good kit already- no need to spend money on more gear if you just adjusted your start date.

Even the wipes that say they’re biodegradable aren’t really. It usually means they’ll degrade in like 2 thousand years instead of 10k

Just don’t put ten in a privy; some poor hardy soul has to fetch them out

How about a real world gear comparison from a lady who’s been there and done that?
    Erin “Wired” Saver:
    “After a thorough audit of my gear list by professional accountant Buck-30, it was concluded that my routine base pack weight (BPW) is 13lbs 10oz. By no means is that ultralight, but it is lightweight, and it is honest (even to include the weight of credit cards and cash).”
    I’m not suggesting imitation. I just wanted to point out that single digit pack weight isn’t REQUIRED for hiking bliss.
    Have fun!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Live music makes up for part of it but I'll be on the JMT/PCT for a month in August ... the west is the best.
    I start JMT from Cottonwood Pass on the 5th. When/where are you starting?

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    In February and March? I totally agree.
    Convince us that you are the lone woman on earth who sleeps hot.

Wayne
    Why are we taking such a challenging tone with this hiker?

A rev 20 is notoriuos for being an optimistic rating, in the last few months EE started adding more down because of the complaints. I personally like a bag better for the colder temps, like a western mountaineering alpinelite and then switch to a rev 30 once it warms up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Why are we taking such a challenging tone with this hiker?
    Because it's Whiteblaze, where "Because you're stupid" is always one of the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Finishing up first year in New Orleans, suffice it to say that weather is not the main attraction... lol.
    Not too often I come across backpackers from Louisiana. I'm just outside of Baton Rouge. I'm used to the summer weather here, not sure I'd survive a winter in the mountain west....

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I don't know which ones she bought but the ones I bought ARE biodegradable EZ Towel with New Durable Tube and Packaging, 50 Pieces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JWQY40..._0.mSAbK9M8QGC

I’ve used these and they’re ok but not really like wet wipes more ruff textured....also have lil holes in them....

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Not too often I come across backpackers from Louisiana. I'm just outside of Baton Rouge. I'm used to the summer weather here, not sure I'd survive a winter in the mountain west....
    No local trails here suitable for backpacking, and definitely not without a vehicle. I lived in the DC area for 15 years and way more options there and a very active local backpacking community as well as groups that did day hikes from the city with rented bus, etc. And of course, HF was accessible by train. Before that I lived in the Sierra Nevada foothills. But all areas have their upsides and downsides. Still have family in Northern VA and get out there from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Is there a specific reason for a February start? A member on here (Map Man) has compiled a whole bunch of data that shows the statistically best odds to complete a thru hike is to begin in late March to early April. If you were to start later, your sleep system would be fine and you wouldnt need micro spikes. You’ve got a good kit already- no need to spend money on more gear if you just adjusted your start date.
    No real reason to start early, other than I read about he dread of hiker bubble. I don’t see it so much a problem for me as I hope to avoid shelters and tent it.
    I do know I cannot push my start too far into April as I can only stay in the US for 182 days.
    When you subtract travel days to get from where we live to Georgia (3 day drive at 8 hrs a day), taking a zero every two weeks, it leaves me with about 165 days to hike. That means I must average 13 miles a day.
    - Finis Mitchell

No real reason to start early, other than I read about he dread of hiker bubble. I don’t see it so much a problem for me as I hope to avoid shelters and tent it.
    I do know I cannot push my start too far into April as I can only stay in the US for 182 days.
    When you subtract travel days to get from where we live to Georgia (3 day drive at 8 hrs a day), taking a zero every two weeks, it leaves me with about 165 days to hike. That means I must average 13 miles a day.
    Avoiding the bubble if you tent is easy. I started on April 14 last year and never felt the effects of crowds. I only spent 6 nights in a shelter, choosing instead to hammock between shelters.

I also was by no means fast. I took 176 days and that is counting 13 zeros. And that includes the approach trail. Less than 13.5 miles per day.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++