WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Good Idea or Bad Idea To Thru Hike With All The Kids?

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

When my 1st wife was pregnant with our first child, I went over to my parents house and talked to them, as this was something I did not know a lot about. Dad reassured me I would be fine. Mom told me that a baby usually only cries for three reasons. 1-They're hungry. 2-They need changed. 3 they want love/attention. Mom as usual was right. Dad was too.

Now if they are staying together, (the younger children walking with a pack), they have to keep a steady pace. Having the 2 year old in a carrier that long will do nothing but make him grumpy and he is probably crying so they will stop so he can get out and stretch. I mean even on long drives, it is always nice to stop on occasion and walk around.

To Feral Bill, I think what you did was best for the baby.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Because people are retards. Looking for some attention.
    This made me laugh pretty hard lol

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's like a slow moving train wreck which we can't stop watching.

In this last video, the baby doesn't look very happy at all. At least not until they got to the heated pool.

If this video was uploaded today, maybe they turned around and went back to Fontana, but it was only speculation they got that far.
    There is a picture of them at mollies ridge that was taken at the latest yesterday. I doubt they turned around....
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    This made me laugh pretty hard lol

There is a picture of them at mollies ridge that was taken at the latest yesterday. I doubt they turned around....
    Well, today and tonight may make or break 'em. Snow and frigid temps in the Smokies today and tonight. I hope they handle it okay, especially the kids.

Images

These people are too annoying to watch(managed 10-15min of the first vid and 10min of the one above. Agree they are shopping a "reality" show. Popping the baby is wrong.

My wife and I have 8 kids, currently aged 14 to almost-three y/o twins. All of them have been on hikes/bikes/canoe trips(the oldest was 6m/o crawling around in the bottom of a muddy canoe in Kentucky (wearing a USCG approved PFD of course). All of them love it. We usually lay low for at least 6mos after a baby is born to let my wife recover, whether she feels good at 6wks or not. We have not done a multiday overnighter with the whole crew yet, but that is not far off. I could see the kids making/editing a video, because they're into that. I don't think I would post it on youtube tho. Our last major trip was a drive to Colorado from SE GA to get in some hiking last fall. Houses are cheap to rent outside of ski season. I floated the idea of driving to Glacier NP next and they were disappointed that I was talking about 2019 and not this fall. 10 people in a 12pax van was the biggest potential point for misery but it really went quite well (except I had an abscessed tooth they whole way there, highly recommend not travelling with an abscessed tooth).

The main issue with hiking seems that when our kids are under 5 they seem to face plant...alot. So they go in some sort of carrier. We've had great success with a couple of kelty carriers we got for the oldest 2, complete with sunshade/rolldown sides, bug nets, and accessory bags. We get them out frequently. If we were going to do multiday with a kid in the carrier during potential inclement wx I would MYOG some mods to ensure the kid stayed warm. On the trail with limited resourses is not the time to figure it out.

Everybody has their own comfort level. If someone takes a risk with their kids and things go bad, not only do they have possible legal implications but they will have to live with their bad decisions for the rest of their lives.

My wife and I have a lot of experience, both have a lot of medical training, both think independently and with a different style. That said, if one of us says "this ain't right" and throws up a danger flag, we don't argue about it. Sometimes a trip just needs a little adjustment to continue but we don't have hard feelings if we have to bail. Better to have tried and failed than to sit in your living room wondering if you could have. Helps with planning the next trip.

We do "rehearsals" with our gear prior to a trip. We always have more kids but at this point we know what gear we like. Also, the oldest 5 (14,13,11,9,almost 7) but especially the teens have better parenting skills than a lot of parents I run across working in the ER. They understand the team/family concept that if we know they are an extra set of eyes and set a good example for the younger ones we will do more trips.

Have a PACE plan. Use control measures. Skills don't weigh a thing, have them in your head when you go. But most of all have fun. Misery is temporary and fades after you are done if your planning is adequate and no one dies.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Just my take on it but I pretty much think all u tube videos that people make are" hey look at me".

Why else would idiots review things that have been reviewed dozens of times already. Or especially review things without ever having used them. Just take them out the freaking box and give their opinion of them.

Because people are retards. Looking for some attention. That they have no other way to receive.
    Kind of like why people post here, huh.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

From a Trail Journal... Double Spring Gap Shelter

"One final note before signing off. The Crawford Family made it to this same shelter last night. The toddler was evidently in bad shape from the harsh weather. They hiked the 4 mikes up to Clingman’s Dome this morning, where they were reportedly evacuated by the Forest Service. Prayers, please, for the Crawford’s, and for all of the hikers still not out of the woods just yet."
    "All that is important is this one moment in movement. Make the moment vital and worth living." Martha Graham

Read on the trail journals site that the Crawfords were evacuated from Clingsman Dome by the park service.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    hmmm, lets see:
    Armpit rectal temp-absolutely no data to support that it was below 97.5d
    weak cry-not enough data to substantiate this.
    Low energy level-no data on this as we don't see his activity during breaks in camp etc.
    Cool feeling of extremities and abs-no data to support this
    poor feeding - no data
    hypoglycemia- no data
    reddish and cold skin - he had red cheeks.

Yep we have hypothermia on our hands here!
    do you have enough data yet?!

Most of us saw this coming. I hoped they would've had enough sense to wait the storm out. Apparently not. Hopefully he fully recovers and these idiot parents put an end to it.

Sad that this was going on. One of the last video's I watched (Couldn't watch much of any of them.....) Mom seemed to have a look of "I love him....but this is ridiculous....wonder when he will understand that"... All the kids interviewed (and it was a nice day) had a "are we done with this yet?" look and attitude. "what are YOU enjoying about our hike?" "getting to town" "and you?" "the pool in the hotel" "and you?" "Pizza in the room"
    Reality in search of a bad-TV show......
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I really worried about those kids last night and hope they are okay. Figured they were somewhere around Thunderhead Mt. Temp was a high of 18*, wind chill -4.

the aholes

Quote Originally Posted by Pak-Man View Post
    From a Trail Journal... Double Spring Gap Shelter

"One final note before signing off. The Crawford Family made it to this same shelter last night. The toddler was evidently in bad shape from the harsh weather. They hiked the 4 mikes up to Clingman’s Dome this morning, where they were reportedly evacuated by the Forest Service. Prayers, please, for the Crawford’s, and for all of the hikers still not out of the woods just yet."
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I decided to take action and sent an email to GSMNP with a link to their Youtube channel. I stated that I had no firsthand knowledge but thought they should check up on them. I did not do this lightly. Probably some people would question my judgement in my on outdoors activities with my kids when they were young. Still, it had to be done. Now I can sleep soundly.
    The parents should thank you but it probably would not occur to them to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    ..... These parents sound horrible, but there's no rule that horrible people can't have kids..........
    Sad but true
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I watched their last video yesterday and they said the forecast for next few days is just rain so they were going to go for it. I wonder if they observed lower elevation forecast instead of higher summits forecast. Here in Maine and New Hampshire we look at higher summits forecast when we plan a winter hike...not sure if the same exists for the Smokies but I can't imagine why it wouldn't.
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I watched their last video yesterday and they said the forecast for next few days is just rain so they were going to go for it. I wonder if they observed lower elevation forecast instead of higher summits forecast. Here in Maine and New Hampshire we look at higher summits forecast when we plan a winter hike...not sure if the same exists for the Smokies but I can't imagine why it wouldn't.
    It certainly does exist with the knowledgeable/ common sense hiker. I know personally if I see March rain in Gatlinburg, I just steer clear of the smokies until nicer weather.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    That video footage was from earlier this month on the 9th. There is a delay from the time they shoot the footage then edit and upload.

hey, it's just rain... what's the old saying about hypothermia... makes the heart grow fonder, or something like that. [/end_sarcasm]

most folks wouldn't take their dog out on that kind of hike.

aah. thanks. I seem to vaguely remember them saying they will upload every day so I thought the delay wasn't as much as what you just indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugthumper View Post
    That video footage was from earlier this month on the 9th. There is a delay from the time they shoot the footage then edit and upload.
    Let me go

I wonder how they will spin this to make it not their fault they needed a rescue. I also hope they get into big trouble for lugging a small child up into those weather conditions.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

the AT has turned into one big reality show and party

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++