WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Good Idea or Bad Idea To Thru Hike With All The Kids?

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    I hope they're editing multiple videos while in town. They were in Hiawassee in the last one. They are way behind with the uploads.
    What I'm saying is that they left Double Spring Gap shelter yesterday morning, March 21st, they walked through the snow the 2 to 3 miles to Clingmans Dome, were evacuated by the Forest Service and were already posting videos by 1:00 PM. They sure didn't waste any time to get back online.

I would expect nothing less. They have over 600 videos on YouTube. They know the drill.

If I understand the timeline, 441 was closed at that time so there was no other way to get a ride out.
    Not judging, but finding it difficult to not reach some conclusions.

This family has run multiple marathons. Even the six year old has run one. They have backpacked several times out in the pacific northwest. They have never done anything this epic, but they are not inexperienced. The drone is never used on the trail. I think the whole family will benefit from this adventure. They are realistic to the fact that they might not go the whole way, but I feel they will go pretty far. They are a very interesting family. I may not believe all the things they do, but I really admire them and the fact that for them, family comes first. I'm enjoying watching their adventure and hope to meet them with I'm out there this year. I however will be waiting for better weather before I continue my Quest.

EarthTone

OK. I'll bite. How will the two year old baby benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    This family has run multiple marathons. Even the six year old has run one. They have backpacked several times out in the pacific northwest. They have never done anything this epic, but they are not inexperienced. The drone is never used on the trail. I think the whole family will benefit from this adventure. They are realistic to the fact that they might not go the whole way, but I feel they will go pretty far. They are a very interesting family. I may not believe all the things they do, but I really admire them and the fact that for them, family comes first. I'm enjoying watching their adventure and hope to meet them with I'm out there this year. I however will be waiting for better weather before I continue my Quest.

EarthTone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    If I understand the timeline, 441 was closed at that time so there was no other way to get a ride out.
    Not judging, but finding it difficult to not reach some conclusions.
    According to the trail journal, Forest Service took them down from Clingman's Dome.

I got lucky and got down right as 441 was closed the 1st weekend of May last year. One guy behind me walked down Clingmans Dome Rd and was picked up by a plow truck so he made it to town. Many ended up sleeping in the restrooms at Newfound Gap.

Finally, someone on here with some good common sense. I completely agree with your comments lonehiker.

EarthTone

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    OK. I'll bite. How will the two year old baby benefit?
    I'm pretty sure this is just the first of many adventures he will have in his life with his family. Actually it's his second. He already hiked the Wonderland trail, but he did so in his mother's womb.

I always regret coming in here, so it's time to close this tab and move on.

Have fun all you cyber hikers. I'm heading to the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    Actually it's his second. He already hiked the Wonderland trail, but he did so in his mother's womb.
    Actually he didn't. They hiked it in 2011 with kid #5 en utero. The other 4 hiked under their own power.

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    Actually he didn't. They hiked it in 2011 with kid #5 en utero. The other 4 hiked under their own power.
    2009. I can't even keep track of my own research.

Sorry you feel that way. Didn't mean to cause you any distress. I was genuinely interested to see if missed something beneficial to the baby.

I have two sons, both started outdoors early, mostly by 'osmosis' because I'm out there every weekend. One hiked Katahdin and the Presidential rand when he was six. He started hiking gradual hills since he was 3. He is 24 now. Remembers nothing from both of those big hikes or any hikes until the age of 8.

I fail to see how will a two year old baby, carried like a vegetable in freezing weather for hours every day benefit? There is nothing better?

QUOTE=Jefe;2201126]I'm pretty sure this is just the first of many adventures he will have in his life with his family. Actually it's his second. He already hiked the Wonderland trail, but he did so in his mother's womb.

I always regret coming in here, so it's time to close this tab and move on.

Have fun all you cyber hikers. I'm heading to the trail.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Journal Entries

Our kids were skiing in our papoose within a year of the birth. Our middle daughter was skiing with my wife within 48 hours of her birth. all of my kids are avid Outdoor enthusiasts. Kids love It! 2 are NOLS grads as their dad. My son is an Outdoor Guide and educator. He believes in The Outdoor classroom.

Quote Originally Posted by W1LDJACK View Post
    Our kids were skiing in our papoose within a year of the birth. Our middle daughter was skiing with my wife within 48 hours of her birth. all of my kids are avid Outdoor enthusiasts. Kids love It! 2 are NOLS grads as their dad. My son is an Outdoor Guide and educator. He believes in The Outdoor classroom.
    It sounds like you raised some damn fine kids.

The issue <some> people have is that the Crawford parents are making decisions that have endangered their kids’ lives for (what appears to be) social media attention. These kids are being raised in front of a camera for all the world to see...performing, if you will. How does that benefit them?

The youngest has no voice and is at the mercy of his parents’ decisions. They haven’t listened to his two-year old attempts to get their attention that he’s miserable...instead, he gets a split lip.

I try not to pass judgment on others (often unsuccessfully) but I can’t understand why they didn’t take their children into consideration and wait until it was warmer.

I try not to pass judgment on others (often unsuccessfully) but I can’t understand why they didn’t take their children into consideration and wait until it was warmer.
    Well, there would be less drama if the weather was better. That might hurt viewership.

Of course, it could be something as simple as a scheduling matter.

These are not mutually exclusive, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Well, there would be less drama if the weather was better. That might hurt viewership.

Of course, it could be something as simple as a scheduling matter.

These are not mutually exclusive, of course.
    I guess there ain’t no use askin’ why. Best take a walk and forget all this BS.

Journal Entries

The issue <some> people have is that the Crawford parents are making decisions that have endangered their kids’ lives for (what appears to be) social media attention. These kids are being raised in front of a camera for all the world to see...performing, if you will. How does that benefit them?

The youngest has no voice and is at the mercy of his parents’ decisions. They haven’t listened to his two-year old attempts to get their attention that he’s miserable...instead, he gets a split lip.

I pass judgement on others all the time.
    But I temper it with a reality check too.
    You probably got 30 to 40% of parents out there producing obese children today.
    If you ask me they ought to be put in jail for this.
    Causing long-term physical and psychological harm to these kids
    Because they're too lazy to control what their kids eat.
    Of course most are too lazy to control what they themselves eat as well.

What I'm saying is people are focusing on what appears to be a hazardous circumstance children were put in, while ignoring things that go on around them everyday. Which is sooooo typical. Not really any different from people focusing on being scared of bears while ignoring all the other risks in their life. It's just what some people do. Life is not without risk. Even sitting on the sofa playing video games has its own risks, or associating with bad friends, just not as readily apparent is the difference.
    But sometimes with more severe consequences.
    A lot of judging here with very little information.

When you criticize someone else's parenting you might want to look in the mirror, you probably didn't do such a great job either, you were probably just lucky. The Unlucky ones are quick to get crucified. We allow kids to do all kind of very dangerous things in sports, accepted unconditionally. I've seen broken neck, fractured skull, broken limbs, smashed cheekbone, knocked out teeth, etc. No one criticizing those parents...... And you'd be shocked at how many kids are forced to play sports against their will because their parents want them to play. My brother-in-law even forced his to go to schools that gave them sports scholarships even if the kids didn't want to go to those schools. Told them they wouldn't help them with college if they didnt. The result was that they both quit playing their Sports. One nephew dropped out of football at his college his freshman year and join the Marines and said f u to his dad. Parents couldn't do anything about it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-23-2018 at 05:35.

Sure is a lot of "discussion" and passing judgement going on in this thread from people with absolutely no knowledge of what is actually happening with a family out for a walk.
    Probably from most who advocate HYOH (unless of course "they" don't approve)

I can't believe people on here are making up stories as to what they think is happening, some hoping they don'y make it, some turning them in to officials and hoping they are arrested.
    Not one person in this thread has any idea what is actually happening on the trail.

Not one mention of ridge runners seeing a problem and helping.

The parents don't do things like I would, but they are certainly doing things the way they like.

My hat off to them. I can't imagine how tough it is doing what they are doing.

I still stand by what I said earlier in this thread..."I would want parents just like this if I were a kid!"

I love seeing families do stuff together. I truly hope they make it all the way!!
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

It sounds like you raised some damn fine kids.

How many two year olds aren't at the mercy of their parents?

Have you watched all the videos? For the most part the kid seems quite alert and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    How many two year olds aren't at the mercy of their parents?

Have you watched all the videos? For the most part the kid seems quite alert and happy.
    i watched most of the videos. I think there’s one where they’re standing in bathing suits or underwear that I wasn’t interested in.

Please review my posts. My issue is not that they’re hiking but the time of year they chose to do it. This time last year, I was supposed to hike the Foothills Trail with my kids. I cancelled because of bad weather because that’s what intelligent mother’s do. We hiked the AT in VA instead.

Also, the kids growing up in front of a camera bothers me.

And the kid getting his lip split pisses me off.

Everyone have a nice day.
    Last edited by Farr Away; 03-24-2018 at 10:25.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++