WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default West Rim Trail - Pine Creek Gorge PA

Has anyone hiked the West Rim Trail in PA? Considering heading up for a weekend. We're going to use Pine Creek Outfitters to run us down to the South end and hike back to the car.

Did some of it last March, cold and rainy, like 34 in the day and 28 at night. Only spent one night out, was a learning experience.

I started at the north end. Fantastic views, moderate hiking at times, otherwise easy/mild. I camped at some creek that had a half dozen decent little spots around, but in the 13 miles I hiked in, I passed plenty of primitive spots that were very accommodating. I'd do it again for sure, but its next door neighbor, the BFT kicked my butt after two days and I'm gonna wrap that loop up first.

Cons:
    -no cell signal, I'm fine but some people freak out
    -if its raining, much of the trail is gonna be in 2 inches of water.

Pros:
    -nice parking
    -nice camping spots
    -great views (north half at least, heard south half was meh)
    -quiet. Like no roads almost ever in earshot
    -easy most of the trail. Still have the PA famous rocks, so sandals are not recommended.

Check the weather before you go, via wellsboro, and probably subtract 5 degrees.

If in summer, keep your eyes and ears open for timber rattlers. Thats about all I know.

The outfitters you'll be using authored a very nice trail guide I highly recommend, comes with a detailed map of side trails if you make a wrong turn (as I did once, didn't have to backtrack)

A great trail, most views are in the northern half. Nice camping, several off trail, or side trail, waterfalls. From the south, you may want to take the Bohen Run Trail as it passes near two falls. It joins the WRT.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleTim View Post
    Did some of it last March, cold and rainy, like 34 in the day and 28 at night. Only spent one night out, was a learning experience.

I started at the north end. Fantastic views, moderate hiking at times, otherwise easy/mild. I camped at some creek that had a half dozen decent little spots around, but in the 13 miles I hiked in, I passed plenty of primitive spots that were very accommodating. I'd do it again for sure, but its next door neighbor, the BFT kicked my butt after two days and I'm gonna wrap that loop up first.

Cons:
    -no cell signal, I'm fine but some people freak out
    -if its raining, much of the trail is gonna be in 2 inches of water.

Pros:
    -nice parking
    -nice camping spots
    -great views (north half at least, heard south half was meh)
    -quiet. Like no roads almost ever in earshot
    -easy most of the trail. Still have the PA famous rocks, so sandals are not recommended.

Check the weather before you go, via wellsboro, and probably subtract 5 degrees.

If in summer, keep your eyes and ears open for timber rattlers. Thats about all I know.

The outfitters you'll be using authored a very nice trail guide I highly recommend, comes with a detailed map of side trails if you make a wrong turn (as I did once, didn't have to backtrack)
    Good info, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
    A great trail, most views are in the northern half. Nice camping, several off trail, or side trail, waterfalls. From the south, you may want to take the Bohen Run Trail as it passes near two falls. It joins the WRT.
    Say I was to start at the Bohen Run Trailhead as an alternate start. As far as I can tell, I cut two miles off the total. Is my math/research correct?

Images

I have done the west rim/ rail trail loop several times. It is a pretty easy trail with a few killer views. I usually try to time my hikes with a full moon to take advantage of the moonlight to nighthike the rail trail back. Have also done the Bohlen trail as well, likely a more scenic route.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

I have done the west rim/ rail trail loop several times. It is a pretty easy trail with a few killer views. I usually try to time my hikes with a full moon to take advantage of the moonlight to nighthike the rail trail back. Have also done the Bohlen trail as well, likely a more scenic route.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

We did the hike on Columbus Day weekend once. it's gorgeous in the fall. Spring would be nice as well when the leaves start to appear on the trees.

I've done it a couple of times and also suggest waiting until the fresh spring greenery fills in a bit.

And very true about the majority of the nice vistas being in the northern half. If legs are a bit out of condition after winter, from the northern trail head the trail slopes a lot more gently upward compared to the climb from Rattlesnake Rocks on the south end.

++ New Posts ++