WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

funny things you will do or won't do early on on a hike, i never made it or really wanted to go down 1.2 miles to the whitley gap shelter in Georgia, but in New Hampshire up on Franconia ridge i dropped down to the Greenleaf Hut from Mount Lafayette just cause i heard about free leftover bread and lemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Koozy View Post
    [COLOR=#333333]There's also the Limestone Spring leanto in Connecticut that doesn't get much use. It's located between Falls Village and Salisbury (two resupply points), and since there are plenty of water sources in CT and beautiful camping areas directly off-trail, it sees little use.
    Limestone Spring is one of the shelters that was built right on the trail, but is now a bit of a distance away as a result of trail reroutes.
    Sometimes these shelters are maintained, like the William B. Douglas Shelter on the Branch Pond Trail. Other times these shelters are abandoned and deteriorate, like the Red Mountain Shelter on the Mohawk Trail. I often seek out these types of shelters, mostly for curiosity, but sometimes for solitude.

And how many use the shelter at Amicalola Falls before the approach trail? Does anyone have experience with that one?

I can't imagine the Antietam Shelter in southern PA gets much use. It's a dilapidated structure and the stream is not recommended as a water supply. In addition there are much nicer shelters- Deer Lick and Tumbling Run- within a couple miles in either direction.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
    I can't imagine the Antietam Shelter in southern PA gets much use. It's a dilapidated structure and the stream is not recommended as a water supply. In addition there are much nicer shelters- Deer Lick and Tumbling Run- within a couple miles in either direction.
    spigot is only .2 from antietam shelter at old forge picnic grounds no need to shelter....road is only .2 from shelter
    Moses is my 2012 Trail name and was given to me at Fontana Dam

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Steger View Post
    spigot is only .2 from antietam shelter at old forge picnic grounds no need to shelter....road is only .2 from shelter
    * filter******
    Moses is my 2012 Trail name and was given to me at Fontana Dam

The first shelter NOBO after Stecoah Gap...Brown Mtn Shelter maybe? I stopped in for a water break (there is a stream directly in front of the shelter which is nice), but had a few people mention the shelter didn't give them a good vibe. It doesn't help that it's also a tiny shelter and the floor is uneven and warped.
    It is what it is.

It's the elevation loss/gain, as much as the distance off trail that keeps me away. I carried a kg (1 liter) of extra water up Sinking Creek Mountain so I could dry camp on the ridge rather than hike 400 ft down to Sarver Hollow Shelter (I knew I wouldn't have time to get down the ridge before sunset). While 1 kg of water may seem like a lot, considering that me and my pack weigh at least 100 kg, hauling 1 kg of water to save that much elevation gain and loss is not such a bad deal.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I have been watching quite a few AT vlogs, learning and living vicariously....
    One thing I'm noticing is a few shelters are famous...in the it seems everyone goes in for a look see and 'tour', but I have yet to see a video about anyone staying in them. Maybe it's just location and the way most people's schedule land. I don't know, just stuck me as odd....
    The two that come to mind are
    Blood Mountain ... I understand this one is cold and not great
    The Fontanna Hilton... is it becasue it's close to a real hotel?
    I am guessing you are only getting one perspective. I have heard of these shelters being used by many. When I was at Fontana Dam Shelter, it had many hikers staying - Do note that the "partier" people went into town - so maybe you are reading/watching their posts???

Fontana Dam is one of my favorites along the trail. If I lived local to there, I would be there at least once a month. It is awesome!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++