WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Easiest fastest way into Lake city during mid September...

Hoping to redo the thru starting after Labor Day. Rather than try to push the 160 ish miles from Monarch to Silverton with a small frameless pack would much prefer to resupply in Lake city. Is this a tough hitch to from trail? I doubt will have cell service with AT&T’s lousy coverage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lake City was the hardest hitch of my 2014 Colorado Trail thru hike. I tried for about an hour with no luck, then spoke to a few people at the parking area but they were all going toward Creede. Around 1pm, I finally started the long road walk (I believe 17 miles) since I had to get to town before dark but a local couple picked me up a couple of miles into the road walk. From Lake City, I prearranged a shuttle back to the trail. Some others have reported an easier time hitching but this was my experience. There is a trail angel network in Salida and they reportedly had a regular 12 noon shuttle to town but it wasn't operating when I was there.

Strangely enough Lake city was my favorite trail town of the trip. But I might try Creede next time to see if it is easier.

Kip’s Grill. Shrimp tacos.
    Creede & Pagosa Springs.
    Don’t leave without trying them.
    http://www.kipsgrill.com
    Wayne

Creede was easy for me. Short side trip to trailhead (San Luis Pass TH) and had ride arranged within minutes. But, it was a Friday and there were a lot of peakbaggers/dayhikers out. Also saw a lot of 4X4 traffic. Earlier in the week could be a bit tougher I am guessing? Worst case would be a 7.5 mile road walk. It was a nice little town and I took a zero day.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I had a shuttle arranged into Creede so it was easy. I talked to a couple of CDT hikers while in town who walked in because they couldn't get a hitch, but had plenty of cars pass them.

My hiking companions hitched into Lake City. They said they waited about 2 hours for someone to stop. This was later in September when Lucky isn't running up to Spring Creek Pass every day.

Most of the traffic is out of state tourists and they don't tend to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    I had a shuttle arranged into Creede so it was easy. I talked to a couple of CDT hikers while in town who walked in because they couldn't get a hitch, but had plenty of cars pass them.

My hiking companions hitched into Lake City. They said they waited about 2 hours for someone to stop. This was later in September when Lucky isn't running up to Spring Creek Pass every day.

Most of the traffic is out of state tourists and they don't tend to stop.
    Ya, had that problem getting into Silverton. Waited a bit until a couple from Grand Junction, of all places, stopped.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

We didn't have a hard time on any of our CDT hikes. First one a man immediately turned around when he saw us arrive at the TH and drove us to Lake City. Second time we walked into Creede via the cut-off. Third time we got a ride to Creede from some hikers in the second car that passed us.

Mid Sept once early Oct twice longest I've waited was 20 mins. Once it was a two part hitch where I got out of the first vehicle immediately into the next vehicle. Another time I was taken to Ravens Rest Hostel by someone who wasn't going there initially but tempted them with buying dinner, ice cream, and $10 gas money. They took me up on the ice cream. The cost of an ice cream and niceties are inexpensive shuttle cost IMO. If you have your son along on a skateboard being pulled by that JRT you'll get a quiCk ride.

Sometimes Lucky and his wife are able to do shuttles if you plan ahead. Ravens Rest Hostel accepts and holds packages. Lake city has a USPO and three or four places to buy resupply. The hostel has a hiker box usually in the kitchen area. Great coffee, sandwich, and pastry vibe next door to the hostel at the coffee house. I've spent all day in there reading and writing on the walls during non stop down pours.

Pro hitching tip: Don't hitch, at least not in the typical sense. Look in parking lot for cars. Feel the hood. Is it warm. They just started hiking - likely long wait. If not talk up a ride by approaching casually. People stop there. Good size lot. You're a big barrel chested muscular male. Bow shoulders a bit. Look people softly into the eyes but dont stare. If it's one male it's easier. If it's a man and woman address both equally but primarily seek an answer to getting a ride from the man. If woman looks hesitant assure her by slipping in you're a family man with children and a wife. Don't invade personal physical proximity comfort zones. Keep hands at sides or low on shoulder straps not in your pockets. Make your pack seen as you have it on introducing yourself first and last name.
    Tersely, tell them what you're doing; show them what you're doing; show them your maps; tell them you came all the way from FL to hike their beautiful CO Tr. If they say they aren't from CO that's OK - you still have them engaged. Share you need to get into LC to contact your wife and son because they are concerned about you because you haven't checked in in awhile and are out of food. Have your wallet ready to offer some family pics and offer to pay for the ride. Tell them you own a dock building company in Tampa. Don't share you've escaped recently from a chain gang, on psych meds, running from the law, a destitute wanderer, running from child support payments, or you're really in CO to score some trees. Don't show them your AT tattoo on the back of your leg or weed pipe (unless?).

There is more to getting a ride than luck or a thumb. Work into your mind what you're doing is obtaining a ride rather than hitching a ride. Work your social awareness getting a ride Saltysack mojo.

I had no cell reception at the pass twice using different carriers on those two times I was hiking with a cell or smart ph. If you have no cell reception at the pass use that info to your advantage if you get to talk to anyone while seeking a ride. I typically say something like "I was trying to get a taxi or shuttle but I'm getting no cell service." Then they typically try on their phones getting no service. That's further engagement leading to empathy. They now can feel what I feel. That's the time to pull out the pics of the children and wife and offer $. That's the time to emphasize again your j u u u s t a hiker needing to to be responsible for contacting his family, check in with his son seeing how he's doing in school, etc and needing to get into town for food. Interchangeably use the word food with resupply. Manipulation it is but so is sticking a thumb out standing on the side of a Hwy, getting a child to clean his room, getting that career raise or contract signed, loan approved, or buying a heart shaped box of chocolates and dozen roses during Valentine's Day. FWIW, I used to perceive(strongly bitch) about out of state tourists having the tendency to not agree to rides. I've changed my tone on it though. It may take some more finesse but I decided it better to target my approach and efforts specifically to these folks. I note I get many more rides from this group as a result. I have much fewer problems getting a ride(not hitching in the typical sense) getting rides from out of state tourists in GSMNP at/to Fontana Dam, Newfound Gap, Davenport Gap area, Bryson City TN, Cherokee NC, S NP THs, Baxter SP, DWG, to Amicalola Falls SP, etc. CT and VT is still the toughest to get rides from out of state tourists, commonly bluebloods from Boston or urbanite NYers. But VT makes up for it with the outdoorsy friendly and ex "Hippie" and organic types who love their Long Trail.

It’s the CDT also. Right on top of the Colorado Trail.
    Maybe the CDT community can help?
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Colorado Trail '07 / JMT '12

I didn't have any trouble getting a ride to Lake City on my thru... I waited a couple of minutes at the parking lot and saw a couple headed to their car, I asked if they were going to Lake City and they said "Yes". They were Colorado residents, very friendly and interested in hearing about my adventure. Pretty good luck I think!

BTW, I took a zero in Lake City, and really enjoyed it. Great town, very walkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I had no cell reception at the pass twice using different carriers on those two times I was hiking with a cell or smart ph. If you have no cell reception at the pass use that info to your advantage if you get to talk to anyone while seeking a ride. I typically say something like "I was trying to get a taxi or shuttle but I'm getting no cell service." Then they typically try on their phones getting no service. That's further engagement leading to empathy. They now can feel what I feel. That's the time to pull out the pics of the children and wife and offer $. That's the time to emphasize again your j u u u s t a hiker needing to to be responsible for contacting his family, check in with his son seeing how he's doing in school, etc and needing to get into town for food. Interchangeably use the word food with resupply. Manipulation it is but so is sticking a thumb out standing on the side of a Hwy, getting a child to clean his room, getting that career raise or contract signed, loan approved, or buying a heart shaped box of chocolates and dozen roses during Valentine's Day. FWIW, I used to perceive(strongly bitch) about out of state tourists having the tendency to not agree to rides. I've changed my tone on it though. It may take some more finesse but I decided it better to target my approach and efforts specifically to these folks. I note I get many more rides from this group as a result. I have much fewer problems getting a ride(not hitching in the typical sense) getting rides from out of state tourists in GSMNP at/to Fontana Dam, Newfound Gap, Davenport Gap area, Bryson City TN, Cherokee NC, S NP THs, Baxter SP, DWG, to Amicalola Falls SP, etc. CT and VT is still the toughest to get rides from out of state tourists, commonly bluebloods from Boston or urbanite NYers. But VT makes up for it with the outdoorsy friendly and ex "Hippie" and organic types who love their Long Trail.
    Ha.......you crack my arse up...... The odds sound better than I thought for late season getting to LC or Creede....only reason i was lil concerned is that last time in Co late September wasn’t much activity at the TH besides monarch and 306.....thx for all the great info and laughs....

Journal Entries

The easiest and fastest way would be to have a shuttle person meet you there when arrive.imo. even if arriving off hours where you can't count on a hitch as easily.

Only requires toting an 8 oz sat phone.

Or possibly even a marginally lighter in reach.

2 years ago the SAT phone I had to carry for work was 8 oz. This prompted me to look just now at newer ones if they lighter. A quick look shows a 7-ounce model now.

I quit carrying that 8 oz beast even at the objections of security personnel, because on top of the two other phones I carried it was just too much.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-21-2018 at 23:53.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The easiest and fastest way would be to have a shuttle person meet you there when arrive.imo. even if arriving off hours where you can't count on a hitch as easily.

Only requires toting an 8 oz sat phone.

Or possibly even a marginally lighter in reach.

2 years ago the SAT phone I had to carry for work was 8 oz. This prompted me to look just now at newer ones if they lighter. A quick look shows a 7-ounce model now.

I quit carrying that 8 oz beast even at the objections of security personnel, because on top of the two other phones I carried it was just too much.
    Good options...we have sat phones for our offshore tugs....The ones we have are rather bulky....looks like one of the boats needs a new lighter model! Although like you I hate carrying extra stuff...I guess I could set a pre arraigned time and day pick up when in Salida...

Journal Entries

The thuraya xt lite is 6.5 oz.

++ New Posts ++