WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Flop flop starting in April in VA

Thinking of starting a flip flop hike going nobo on the AT from either Marion or Roanoke areas. Starting anywhere from April 4 to April 11. Who has hiked VA in April. Weather? Any other insights? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

We've had a decent amount of rain the past few weeks, so most listed water sources should be good. The big bubble will not have arrived yet, but there appears to already be a good number of folks who would be in that area by then.

Weather will be a little of everything, from chances of snow to close to 80, prepare for it all. Any allergy issues? Because most everything will be starting to bloom.

IMO, don't start on a weekend from Roanoke. Lots of folks will be out and around McAfee, Tinker, and Dragon's Tooth.

You'll be near my backyard, holler if I can be of any other help.

Yep, the weather will be highly variable. April is the time of year the Jet stream directs storms into the mid Atlantic. Don't be fooled by a few summer like days into thinking it will stay that way and you can send some warm layers home. It probably won't.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I spent one of the coldest nights I've ever experienced while camping on Mt. Rogers on April 20th one year. I had to get in my bag for 20 minutes just to warm up enough to have enough dexterity in my fingers to light my stove. Three days before that, I was hiking in shorts and a t-shirt and sweating through my pack.
    -tagg

Images

The Blue Ridge just saw 6-10 inches of snow yesterday with another round of snow/ice this coming weekend. Mother Nature can be fickle in the higher elevations of Virginia till end of April.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Even a two week delay on starting will make a significant difference on weather conditions. Unless life responsibilities require you to start early April, consider a May 1 start. Just my 2 cents.

I'm planning on starting on April 15th at Front Royal; who knows, you might catch me. My trail name is "guitarzan."

++ New Posts ++