WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    On thing I have not been able to wrap my head around is how taking benefits early impacts Widow benefits — which I understand can impacted dramatically by that strategy. My MBA didn’t prepare me for this!
    Yikes! I haven't thought about this yet either. And my wife will surely outlive me, something else to consider!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I work in finance so I'm aware of the games the government plays with CPI. Nevertheless, having some degree of inflation adjustment is not common and very valuable unless something fundamental in the social contract changes. There seems to be no support in either party to mess with social security or Medicare. I'm a couple of decades from benefitting from either program so obviously much can change but if I had to bet, I'd bet on higher levels of taxation and no cuts in real benefits of entitlements.
    As interest rates increase to a more historically normal level, the pressure on the budget will increase correspondingly taking a larger portion of the budget to service interest on the growing national debt and reducing available funds for other things. Social security taxes already take 15% (employee and employer contribution combined) of salaries now and I wonder whether there is the will in Congress to increase them as they are seen by some as a regressive tax. When I get my social security statements it does warn that I may only get 75% of what they estimate my benefit would be. At some point something has to give and my guess is that there will be no ceiling (or at least a much higher ceiling) on income subject to social security tax and a phased in means test to address shortfalls in the social security system in an effort to shift available funds to those with the least retirement income. Not saying this is something I want to happen or taking a side either way just saying I think this more likely than an increase in social security taxes.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Its a hiking based website. Please make the connection to hiking if you want to bring in economics. This thread is getting to the edge of politics. Some enticing economic discussion of opinions where I suspect many would like to chime in but this isnt the Money Mustache website or a Suzie Orman Q&A just as it isnt a food politics, rah rah organic food, or general social or cultural issues website.

My wife and I planned to thru when we retired. This passed year my father passed at 62 in a motorcycle accident. Completely changed my plans about our hike and life altogether. We are doing it in 2019. Do it when you can, now. You never know, in the blink of an eye it can all change. Good luck!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Its a hiking based website. Please make the connection to hiking if you want to bring in economics. This thread is getting to the edge of politics. Some enticing economic discussion of opinions where I suspect many would like to chime in but this isnt the Money Mustache website or a Suzie Orman Q&A just as it isnt a food politics, rah rah organic food, or general social or cultural issues website.
    Can't exactly tell what you're saying, but IMHO this financial discussion is pertinent to the OP. And with due respect my friend, who are you to slam a slight bit of drift, if you in fact are doing so? And finally, who the heck is Suzie Orman? Don't answer that, I don't care, sounds like a TV show of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    I should be end to end thru hiking the AT in 2032. I’ll be newly retired and 57 years old. Anyone else planning to thru in 2032?

Between now and then I have 14 years to hike the short trails, the close trails, and lock down a system that won’t let me down. I just did the math and while a lot can happen between now and then, I’m stoked!

I can’t afford the long stuff right now but easy to enjoy much shorter hikes with my kids until I can seems like a good alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Can't exactly tell what you're saying, but IMHO this financial discussion is pertinent to the OP. And with due respect my friend, who are you to slam a slight bit of drift, if you in fact are doing so? And finally, who the heck is Suzie Orman? Don't answer that, I don't care, sounds like a TV show of some sort.

Reading the OP's opening statement the word afford was not solely used in context of economics - money management - but time management.

Guilty as charged but how does my guilt excuse 8 pages of other's thread drift?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Guilty as charged but how does my guilt excuse 8 pages of other's thread drift?
    It does not need to be excused, this is one of the most useful threads I have ever seen on Whiteblaze. And if you cannot afford to thru-hike, or cannot stop working long enough to thru-hike, well there goes your dream of try-hiking. I find this thread very pertinent to hiking.

Please carry on....
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

In our local paper, there is a Tuesday syndicated column by a retired Social Security guy. VERY informative!
    his name is Tom Margenau. His columns are also here.... https://www.creators.com/read/your-social-security

About 4 times a year, he is talking the Widows benefits, or the File&Suspend options (which have all changed...I think if you are not old enough to already be filing, it won't matter), he talks maximization strategies.

And yeah, figuring out HOW to pay for "life to hike" with all of peoples personal variables, is very informative to me.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

someone posted earlier, about requesting a sabbatical. A guy I've hiked with a few times, did just that. BUT, understand. He was already retired from the military. And he was in health care. He'd been hiking shorter trails, done some sections on the AT. He told them in early January, he wanted a sabbatical for 6 months to thru hike the AT. they said "no". He then said "so my last day will be end of March" (knowing in health care, he can interview on Monday and start work the next week). They backed down in minutes.....he got his sabbatical. Since he has military health care, all he wanted was the job to be there when he came back. And being in "retirement" years....makes difference.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I need X amount of money a year above my meagher pension, and I can either keep draining my savings from 65-70, hoping my investment returns sorta keep up, or start drawing SS earlier. Simulations show for my situation the latter makes more sense. Waiting for 70 just because you'll get more income then, though losing income earlier that could be making returns, is not a good reason.
    It is complicated, I agree. And it's definitely a personal thing. I faced the same thing. Retired at 66, needed more income than my investments could provide. But, thank G-d, I'm fairly healthy - and optimistic - thinking I could live to be 110! I thought, "Do I really want to give up that extra income every month - for maybe 40 years - or can I inconvenience myself, make some sacrifices for 4 more years"? I'd already been working 42 years, so 4 more didn't seem to be too heavy a price. I would have driven Uber or worked Walmart or Home Depot those years if I had to. Could have sold the house, and bought a smaller one with no mortgage if I had too.
    It is a very low percentage of people that do wait that long. I'm glad I'm one of them.
    Now - to make my buddy Dogwood happy - I CAN GO HIKING, LISTENIN TO SUZE ORMAN ANYTIME I FEEL LIKE IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    It does not need to be excused, this is one of the most useful threads I have ever seen on Whiteblaze. And if you cannot afford to thru-hike, or cannot stop working long enough to thru-hike, well there goes your dream of try-hiking. I find this thread very pertinent to hiking.

Please carry on....
    So is diet as it relates to having the physical ability to thru hike. That doesn't mean, as I've been rightly chided for, but through deragatory name calling ie; Food Nazi, Food Police, going down a dietary and nutritional rabbit hole or digressing into personal food politics opinions everytime food is mentioned.

Desire targeted medical advice MAYBE it is more constructive to see a M.D. Want specific financial advice or general state of the financial markets opinions MAYBE better to contact a financial advisor?

Jus sayin.

@ jefals Suzie Orman on audio tape as pre hike prep. Smiley.

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    ............... But, thank G-d, I'm fairly healthy - and optimistic - thinking I could live to be 110! ..............
    Here is an interesting article that breaks down the odds of living to a certain age. People are probably going to live longer than they think which is a consideration for retirement planning. There are no guarantees about living past tomorrow in this life but I hope you make it to 110 jefals.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post

Please carry on....
    +1... I have learned some seriously valuable information here in this thread that can and likely will effect my future hikes, section, thru or otherwise...
    Sincere thanks to all who have shared their knowledge and wisdom here...
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    ............... But, thank G-d, I'm fairly healthy - and optimistic - thinking I could live to be 110! ..............
    Here is an interesting article that breaks down the odds of living to a certain age. People are probably going to live longer than they think which is a consideration for retirement planning. There are no guarantees about living past tomorrow in this life but I hope you make it to 110 jefals.
    Thanks, TexasBob! How bout let's all drink a toast to a long, healthy life full of great hikes for all us Whitblazers!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Theres calculators that predict based on health data and lifestyle choices. My prediction is 97.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-29-2018 at 04:28.

Having sufficient financial independence and health to go hiking for weeks or months takes a lot of planning. I think this thread is far more relevant than many I've seen on WhiteBlaze.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Theres calculators that predict based on health data and lifestyle choices. My prediction is 97.
    Welk, my prediction for you, MW, is that when you hit 97 they will have found a cure for whatever you got, and that'll keep you goin another 13 years!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Having sufficient financial independence and health to go hiking for weeks or months takes a lot of planning. I think this thread is far more relevant than many I've seen on WhiteBlaze.
    Absolutely. More than once I’ve considered putting the link to MMM in my signature line. Especially since I first heard of him through The Trail Show.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

I think it's as much a lack of other responsibilities than financial Independence.

If you have debt you has to service well then you're kind of screwed. Could be mortgage car car insurance health insurance, etc.

If you have to provide for anybody else will your kind of screwed as well.

If you don't mind living the lifestyle bordering on homeless bum, your prospects look pretty good.

As far as retired folk go, unfortunately it takes a lot of money to play everyday. That could be golf, fishing, whatever it takes a lot of money to go have fun everyday. So retired people tend to find things to do that aren't that expensive. A little gardening, work on projects around the house, part time work or even volunteer work to keep them busy. Then you do a little fun things maybe one day or 2 day a week or something

By comparison to some hobbies, hiking is dirt cheap.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-29-2018 at 12:42.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++