WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rain, mud, kilts and rain pants

Two outings ago(mid 2018) I had my first opportunity to use my Frog Togs. I was Nobo from Comptons to HF not long after weeks of heavy rains. It was very obvious the trail had been practically liquefied- I saw evidence of hikers sinking knee deep in the mud but thing were starting to dry pretty well so I did not worry.

Sure enough I get up one morning to drizzle and dense fog that lasted a day and a half. While not rain, it did in fact wet the trees so much it was like rain from them dripping so much. So I don my Toggs and start hiking. After a mile or two I stop and notice my Frogs are covered in mud several inches up the pant leg. Odd, I dont walk with my legs rubbing, so how am I getting mud above my shoes(waterproof Merrells)? I start watching my stride and dont really see where I'm splashing or rubbing but the mud crept higher and higher. By days end it looked like I had been mud wrestling. Given that I shudder to think what it would have been like to hike during the trail flooding previously as I only dealt with a few inches of mud. And that lead me to wonder how other have coped.

With that in the back of my mind, I'm reading over at BPL and run into Roger Nisleys review of the 3F UL rain kilt which he rates highly. The price is right, and it has some extra utility as a ground cloth etc. https://backpackinglight.com/forums/...ar-rain-skirt/

So first question is, is the mud issue unique to me or more common. Obviously, my issue was made worse by not having real rainfall to wash my Froggs off.
    That leads me to question two: would a kilt work better? I see how ventilation is better and one can always don an extra layer if its too much, but wondering if that prevents any possibility of keeping dry feet.

I used waterproof gators under my Froggs and my Merrells kept the water out all day so a kilt would be a difficult choice if my feet suffer- mud covered and (perhaps) dry or clean but soaked shoes that are not going to dry outfor the next day(only a partial issue as I am one those who carries Salomon Speedcross4s for dry days).

Anyone have ideas or a solution?

Images

I've used a rain wrap on occasion as I find rain pants too heavy and too hot. Plus, they don't work when hiking in a kilt. The rain wrap avoids that problem and is handy when one is in town and all the other clothes are in the washer or dryer. The mud issue is coming from your shoes dripping as you stride.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

The mud thing is going to happen if the trail is saturated. If you think it's better to gt the mud on your legs then on your rain pants that's entirely up to you. It really just comes down to temperature for me. If the rain feels cold then I may want the pants but if it's warm then I may just leave the pants in my pack and only hike with a rain jacket (or even just use a poncho in the summer.) To quote flatbrokeoutside "dryness is a myth on the AT." In a prolonged hike in the rain everything will get wet from rain, humidity, and perspiration (and muddy too.) The primary function of rain gear is to prevent hypothermia so wear what makes you comfortable. Just my $.02.

Just today looked over a recent landscape installation a crew did for me. I thought I was seeing some Entomosporium fungal issues on Indian Hawthorne planting material that I knew when I picked out at the nursery was free of any insect or disease issues. With the heavier rain we've experienced in GA the foliage and white flowers were splashed with mud. This could be part of why you're getting muddy rubbing up on dirty flora.

Certain footwear and walking mechanics can increase mud splash and getting dirtier and wetter. Plodding heavily always is going to increase splashed mud.

Saw Roger and Ron vids. A long rain skirt like the more fragile 3F UL rain skirt combined with tall enough WP gaiters or rain chaps could work.

It seems you are mostly concerned about mud. That might be alleviated to an acceptable standard by spraying the FG's with Grangers Performance Repel.

Dogwood, good tip the Performance Repel.

As to the mud, I was more interested in knowing if it was just me somehow or if everyone hiking in muddy conditions has the same experience with it creeping up the leg.

Given the low price I ordered and now have the 3F UL kilt, just need some taller WP gaitors as my current set are only 8-10" tall

++ New Posts ++