WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Question To hammock or Not to hammock

Sorry if this has been addressed in prior threads but I couldn't find the answer on WB. I'm getting ready to hit the trail from Branchville, NJ to Vermont (450 miles) next month. I hang and prefer it over tents. Any hammock issues, like no trees, from Branchville north?

No, not really. In New York there is a shelter or 2 that are out in the open like Fingerboard Shelter that are a few hundred yards from the trees. The whole of your route is through the forest.

I would bring a wide foam pad (the walmart blue) or something similar ... instead or in addition to your underquilt. This will allow You to go to ground if necessary.
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I would bring a wide foam pad (the walmart blue) or something similar ... instead or in addition to your underquilt. This will allow You to go to ground if necessary.
    Always a good idea.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I like Pad friendly hammocks for places like the AT... too much 'other' stuff going to restrict yourself to hang or nothing but I don't think anyone really argues anymore that you 'can't hang' so if you are 'hammock or die' finding a place to sleep isn't life or death, specially not in that stretch.

Empty shelters are always nice on a stormy day... and you may want to sleep up on one of the high places/shelters on a clear night for the view. Sleeping in a firetower is fun as well and you may pass a few?

There a couple open fields and other meadows that can be a nice place to sleep as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I like Pad friendly hammocks for places like the AT... too much 'other' stuff going to restrict yourself to hang or nothing but I don't think anyone really argues anymore that you 'can't hang' so if you are 'hammock or die' finding a place to sleep isn't life or death, specially not in that stretch.

Empty shelters are always nice on a stormy day... and you may want to sleep up on one of the high places/shelters on a clear night for the view. Sleeping in a firetower is fun as well and you may pass a few?

There a couple open fields and other meadows that can be a nice place to sleep as well.
    All that, and hammocks sometimes fail. Not fun!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I've stayed at every AT shelter and campsite in CT and Mass at one point or another I think and I cannot think of any where you would have trouble with a hammock.

That being said, I too am a fan of hammocks that are pad-friendly. (Only wish my Ridgerunner weren't so dang heavy!)

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    I've stayed at every AT shelter and campsite in CT and Mass at one point or another I think and I cannot think of any where you would have trouble with a hammock.

That being said, I too am a fan of hammocks that are pad-friendly. (Only wish my Ridgerunner weren't so dang heavy!)
    The 180lb rated 'Happy Mediums' are out for testing with a few folks... 12 oz (dynaglide), 13 oz (Amsteel).

My currently fat 230 pound butt caused a bit too much seam elongation as I approached 30 nights... so looks like a 15 ounce 1.7 Hybrid will be needed for a 'heavy medium', lol.

Getting there slowly...

DL M 10.jpg

One of these out there too.... double layer M10 hammock in 4x9. The fella is a bit smaller and uses a small neo-air with his pack as foot insulation. 7.4 ounces tree to tree.
    I'm debating trying one of these in an 11' but just haven't had a chance to try it. Roughly 8.5 ounces tree to tree.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    No, not really. In New York there is a shelter or 2 that are out in the open like Fingerboard Shelter that are a few hundred yards from the trees. The whole of your route is through the forest.
    Actually, there are good hang spots at Fingerboard. You just need to go to the lower rock shelf and you can still hang about 20 or 30 yards from the shelter. I much preferred it when I went through there a few years back, since the shelter itself is a bat roost. It's a great place to sit in front of and to use the fireplaces for cooking, but I wouldn't actually sleep in it for love or money.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    The 180lb rated 'Happy Mediums' are out for testing with a few folks... 12 oz (dynaglide), 13 oz (Amsteel).

My currently fat 230 pound butt caused a bit too much seam elongation as I approached 30 nights... so looks like a 15 ounce 1.7 Hybrid will be needed for a 'heavy medium', lol.

Getting there slowly...
    Yeah, I've been watching your updates here and on HF. Good luck and keep at it!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toothless View Post
    Sorry if this has been addressed in prior threads but I couldn't find the answer on WB. I'm getting ready to hit the trail from Branchville, NJ to Vermont (450 miles) next month. I hang and prefer it over tents. Any hammock issues, like no trees, from Branchville north?
    Also... I heard you have to camp near shelters in NJ, NY, MA??? Truth or not???

Designated campsites in CT and MA for sure, I think as well for NY. Cannot speak to NJ.

Unless Lazarus' attack beaver has relocated with a vengeance to that segment trees are found along that hike.

Nj is the garden state and VT is the green Mt state.

Hammock all the way!
    I loved mine.

I think I went to ground 5 times in as many months.

Two shelters on the Smokies (following the rules), one cool one in Va just cuz I still hadn’t shipped home my neoair, once in a Church in Mass. and lastly in a Hut in the Whites.

I think you’ll be fine. Nothing wrong with going an extra hundred yards for a good spot. It probably means you’ll miss the snoring

Quote Originally Posted by Strategic View Post
    Actually, there are good hang spots at Fingerboard. You just need to go to the lower rock shelf and you can still hang about 20 or 30 yards from the shelter. I much preferred it when I went through there a few years back, since the shelter itself is a bat roost. It's a great place to sit in front of and to use the fireplaces for cooking, but I wouldn't actually sleep in it for love or money.
    Agreed. Plenty of good hammock at Fingerboard.
    When I went through there last year there was a very pesky bear hassling the area/shelter for food/food bags. The night before I stayed there I was told it got nine food bags. I stayed there the next night, hung my food PCT and had no issues at all. This was end of May, beginning of June 2017.

u.w.

++ New Posts ++