Default PCT Flip - flop Starting at Echo Lake June 12?

I am considering a PCT flip - flop since I cannot start until about June 12. Leaving from Echo Lake, would hope to make Canada by late August, take a week off centered around labor day weekend , then hike south from Echo Lake, finishing by Nov 1. I'm being somewhat conservative in assuming it might take me as long as 5 months. I did the AT in 4 1/2 months but am not a fan of 30 mile days and might like to do the PCT a bit slower.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Where would I have potential for snow issues? Any other suggestions given my calendar constraints? Thanks in advance for any help in fleshing this out.

Images

If the low snow year continues this could be a reasonable plan. If you go this route then you will likely have a good bit of snow between Echo Lake and Sierra City but after that I wouldn't expect too much hassle. If it were me I would probably start at Walker Pass and go through the Sierra or even Kennedy Meadows South.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Where would I have potential for snow issues?

IMMEDIATELY.

https://tahoerimtrail.org/stories/mi...ow-going-melt/

Carson Range on the west rim of Lake Tahoe even during low snow yrs does not commonly melt out until very late June early July.

I found out the hard way over consequtive yrs and months beginning in mid June in low and avg snow yrs attempting to do SOBO PCT LASH's starting in Chester to S. Lake Tahoe - Echo Lake - and through to KM south that low snow definitely does not mean no snow into late June.

I'm going to say it again. The often maligned Wilderness Press PCT books provide insight into what PCT sections can hold snow into what dates.

In short, be ready to do some snow hiking and navigating over it from the start.

Current Tahoe Basin snow levels. Mammoth has more snow.
    https://www.onthesnow.com/lake-tahoe/skireport.html
    Wayne

Images

The weather window is from Kennedy Meadows/Cottonwood Pass to Canada. Flipping does not help (or hurt) much and you are giving up a week in the middle. It depends on the year, but usually the Canada end opens up significantly later that the southern end, and sobo snow is only slightly later than nobo. So sobos have a slightly shorter window. A big disadvantage for sobo's, and you, is that if you get in shape on the trail, that time is all in the weather window. At this point, I would not call your start date early, but aggressive. So, I don't think you are at a significant disadvantage to other thrus, and a week of zeros is not that much.

I avoided some snow in this timeframe by flipping and hiking from Castle Craig to Whitney. So, I would suggest moving your starting point to Truckee.

Note, 5 months from June 12 is Nov 12 including the week off.

One could start a NOBO INSIDE OUT FLIP FLOP later as you're sayin Rambler but if that June 12 start date is firm I'd just start further south possibly even KM south or even Walker as Malta suggested. Starting at walker gets you into KM later for easier high Sierra travel. Speed up or slow down going forward THE NOBO leg as cooperating with fitness and conditions. Blaze back to KM or Walker for the fall SOBO leg.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    One could start a NOBO INSIDE OUT FLIP FLOP later as you're sayin Rambler but if that June 12 start date is firm I'd just start further south possibly even KM south or even Walker as Malta suggested. Starting at walker gets you into KM later for easier high Sierra travel. Speed up or slow down going forward THE NOBO leg as cooperating with fitness and conditions. Blaze back to KM or Walker for the fall SOBO leg.
    I was not recommending a sobo start to a flip. Just saying that you can reduce the Sierra snow by hiking the northern Sierra before the high Sierra.
    We both agree that the snow traverses between Echo Lake and Truckee should be avoided in mid-June most years.

The recommendation that he join nobo's who are on the ideal Sierra Entry Date, is hard to argue with. However, it is not clear that you should be at Walker Pass on June 19. Also, there seems to be an implicit assumption that Forester Pass to Muir Pass is as easy to travel as Truckee to Old Station on any given date. This may not even be true when there is 100% snow coverage on both. Flippers can more easily postpone the high Sierra, and I think they should definitely do so.

Thanks for all the feedback and links. I really don't want to be hiking in a lot of snow. For external reasons, my start date has moved to June 18. I realize now that I should do a 3 leg hike -
    1) NOBO from Kennedy Meadows until wherever I end up on Aug 27 - hopefully Cascade locks
    2) After labor day, return to where I left trail and hike NOBO to Canada
    3) After Canada, SOBO Kennedy Meadows to Mexico

I think I will shoot for 4 1/2 months of hiking and be in 15-20 mile per day shape before I start which shouldn't be a problem.

Does all of the above seem more reasonable ?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWorksHard View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback and links. I really don't want to be hiking in a lot of snow. For external reasons, my start date has moved to June 18. I realize now that I should do a 3 leg hike -
    1) NOBO from Kennedy Meadows until wherever I end up on Aug 27 - hopefully Cascade locks
    2) After labor day, return to where I left trail and hike NOBO to Canada
    3) After Canada, SOBO Kennedy Meadows to Mexico

I think I will shoot for 4 1/2 months of hiking and be in 15-20 mile per day shape before I start which shouldn't be a problem.

Does all of the above seem more reasonable ?
    That could certainly work. You will want to arrive at the trail in hiking shape as will immediately be at high elevation with long climbs and a heavy pack. You will also want to check permits quickly as there is a lim T to the number of permits starting close to the Sierra that overlap the JMT.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

A nobo inside out flip flop meant you start somewhere in the middle go nobo first leg to canada Then you flip back to go sobo and finish.

It was as malto, you, and the op always suggested. The question, or so I thought, was always about where to start the nobo leg in the middle.

Me adding nobo caused confusion. Nobo was just added to describe the first leg.

Sorry if I created confusion.

Anyway it sounds like the OP has it figured.

++ New Posts ++