WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Water Bucket Bag Ball Balloon Bottle thingy...

Back in 2000 a hiker (Turok) had a water bag made out of nylon with two strap handles that basically was the shape of a small kids halloween pumpkin head/jackolantern/ball candy holder thing when it was filled with water. It would sit on the table with the water in it and just kind of mush down some...

Light, made of nylonish,, and to strap handles... Had found it in a catalogue,,, but recently searched for one and could not find one...

Anybody know what I am talking about and where one might find them???

I remember them. I think this is the modern equivalent.https://www.rei.com/product/782974/s...waApVLEALw_wcB

I have a few of the inserts.
    Found out I didn't need the carry thing with the handles.
    Just extra weight.
    I only use it for camp and don't carry it distances (only from spring to tent)
    They are great.
    The wine box inserts will do in a pinch once you get rid of the wine smell (although they are smaller as the REI things are 10 litres)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Sea to Summit makes a 5, 10, and 20 liter "Kitchen Sink" - that squat kind of bulging bucket. https://www.rei.com/c/camp-sinks?r=c...p-sinks&page=1

Here’s a similar one I have, lightest I could find.

https://www.antigravitygear.com/shop...lon-water-bag/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by petedelisio View Post
    Back in 2000 a hiker (Turok) had a water bag made out of nylon with two strap handles that basically was the shape of a small kids halloween pumpkin head/jackolantern/ball candy holder thing when it was filled with water. It would sit on the table with the water in it and just kind of mush down some...

Light, made of nylonish,, and to strap handles... Had found it in a catalogue,,, but recently searched for one and could not find one...

Anybody know what I am talking about and where one might find them???
    truck nuts?

Didn't Jardine give directions for making one of those, out of Silnylon, in his first book?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    Didn't Jardine give directions for making one of those, out of Silnylon, in his first book?

It was like the sea to summit kitchen sink and probably weighed a quarter of the weight...
    It was pretty simple nylon like material with thin nylon webbing handles... They were only like $1.99 at the time and would be fairly simple to make for most... not me of course.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Burrhead View Post
    I remember them. I think this is the modern equivalent.https://www.rei.com/product/782974/s...waApVLEALw_wcB
    It probably weighed a tenth or 20th of this one... It was a basic nylon and only costed about 2 dollars

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post

I missed this post, but yeah it was most like this, but wasn't silnylon but still retained water exceptionally well especially for the price..

Images

Let me correct my last post.... It's holding water and non leakage was more than exceptionally well...
    I do not think it could have weighed but an ounce and a half... I thought it was in Couglans or Cheaper than Dirt but don't see it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post

I have one of those. It can be placed on the ground without spilling - so long its the ground is very level. it does slowly leak, so not so good for overnight storage of water.

I also wish it held more then a gallon. The whole point is being able to carry a lot of water back from the spring, which can be some distance away and at great loss of elevation, making it a trip you don't want to do a second time. A gallon isn't quite enough sometimes. I used to have a similar bag which held 2 gallons, but forgot it hanging on a tree limb somewhere.

The medium sized Walmart dry bag also works. Sewing a nylon strap handle across the opening helps to carry and hang it. Before switching to the squeeze filter, I used to use the dry bag water bag when I used to pump water to filter it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I believe it had a bigger/wider mouth than the above antigravitygear water bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    Yes. I made one of my own design and use it to haul water for a sponge bath, for extra water in camp, and it's really useful to haul 2 or 3 or 4 water containers and my sawyer filter down to spring to fill everything up and haul it back to camp. I think mine weighs like .2 oz

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I have one of those. It can be placed on the ground without spilling - so long its the ground is very level. it does slowly leak, so not so good for overnight storage of water. ....
    I had one of these two and also noticed the slow leak. Because it lacked structure, it worked better as a hanging bag than setting on the ground. I wanted to try and use it as a reservoir for a gravity filter system. The plan was to dip it in the lake to fill it, hang it from a tree branch, attach a filter and let water drain into a water bladder. I cut a hole in it and attached a quick connect fitting for attaching a hose attachment. The fitting had a valve so it was closed when there was no hose attached. It worked OK, but the slow leak was annoying and it wasn't as easy to fill as I had hoped. I eventually just went back to using water bladders for gravity filtering.

I vaguely remember having something similar in the late 90's as well. As others said, it really needed to be hung up to minimize leaking. Worked great as a way to filter water with sediment, because you could bag up a gallon or so and carry it back to the shelter, then let it settle for a while before filtering.

I did some experiments with 30D silnylon holding water. I had several gallons inside an improvised "bag" hanging on my clothesline . No leaks at all for most of a full day and night (then I took it down) But if the same material comes into contact with anything else it will start to leack. It changes the surface tension. (same thing happens with rain clothing)

jimmyjam’s water hauler, one of my favorite pieces of gear. Weighs next to nothing and it has never leaked. On trail, I use it for bathing nearly every evening. He has instructions on how to make them.

606882A4-FA4E-4C04-893F-2D7AFB9E897C.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    Yes. I made one of my own design and use it to haul water for a sponge bath, for extra water in camp, and it's really useful to haul 2 or 3 or 4 water containers and my sawyer filter down to spring to fill everything up and haul it back to camp. I think mine weighs like .2 oz

Ha ha...didn’t see your post, jj. I used it a bunch this week.

This what you're looking for? They're readily available on eBay from US and foreign sellers for $3-8 dollars. Mine is 8L and weighs 2.4oz in its stuff sack.

Use the link or search for "collapsible water basin" or "folding water basin" or "portable water basin"

https://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Portable-...F7tZdbHvBV4Ciw

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++