WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Resupply point in 100 mile wilderness

Hey all, I have been told that there is a road in the 100 mile wilderness that is close to the AT which could be used for a resupply. As I have an individual that is willing to drop off my resupply at this point, I am trying to figure out exactly where this would be.

In the AWOL guide, there is mention of a road at the coordinates 45.736, -69.1035. Is this the right one?

Thanks in advance!

Just read something about Jo Mary road. This seems like the more legitimate option, as there are articles written by Backpacker magazine on a section hike from Jo Mary Road to Kathadin. So I imagine it should be accessible. AWOL says that the roads in the 100 mile wilderness are privately owned and gated though, so would it be possible to get a food drop here?

Quote Originally Posted by lukejmills View Post
    Just read something about Jo Mary road. This seems like the more legitimate option, as there are articles written by Backpacker magazine on a section hike from Jo Mary Road to Kathadin. So I imagine it should be accessible. AWOL says that the roads in the 100 mile wilderness are privately owned and gated though, so would it be possible to get a food drop here?
    you might try Appalachian Lodge in Millnocket; they do it for hikers that stay there. Also might try 100 Mile Wilderness Adventures; they do it for sobos.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

There are several services that will, for a price, resupply you at either Gulf Hagas (Katahdin Iron Works Road, approximately mile 30, 45.474,-69.294) or Jo-Mary Road.(approximately mile 60, 45.651,-69.031). There is a logging road with a bridge over Nahmakanta Stream at the coordinates you mention, and ATC lists it as an access point, so maybe it's open to the public in season.

There are a lot of other logging roads in spitting distance of the trail that it's sometimes possible to get permission to come in on. I've heard tell of at least one party who did the HMW as a series of day trips, but they report that that took exceedingly careful planning and research, and many, many hours of driving on dirt roads by the support team.

Locations that I've heard tell are relatively accessible:
    • Bodfish Farm/Otter Pond (mile 15)
    • Katahdin Iron Works Road (already mentioned, mile 30)
    • Logan Brook/Whitecap (mile 45)
    • Jo-Mary Road (already mentioned, mile 60)
    • Nahmakanta Lake (mile 75)
    • Pollywog Bridge (mile 82)

There have been plenty of threads on this site about the topic, for instance https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/104504-Hundred-Mile-Wilderness-Resupply-Options

All this means that the humble Northville-Placid Trail is, in my thinking, actually more remote. While it has two towns on the trail, it has two 40-mile sections that are entirely roadless (all on state land) with no shorter way out than the trail. One of those 40-mile sections has just a dirt road at the end of it, and you're going another fifteen miles to actually get anywhere, so most hikers plan at least a 55-60-mile carry through there.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Considering the gate fees, I'd suggest Paul at the AT Lodge in Millinocket or Poet at Shaws in Monson. They do drops for all ATers, nobo, sobo, or section.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

FYI, its is very bad form to leave trash of any kind in the woods from a resupply. If they meet you no problem but if you have them spot a container make darn sure someone picks up the empty one and disposes of it properly

this company runs the gates for the land owners fee is more than fair

http://northmainewoods.org/

best maps for the logging roads is a delorme atlas and gazetteer

https://www.amazon.com/Maine-Atlas-G.../dp/089933282X

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    best maps for the logging roads is a delorme atlas and gazetteer
    Yup. And we always get the latest news from the folks at the gates while we watch the hummingbirds.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    FYI, its is very bad form to leave trash of any kind in the woods from a resupply. If they meet you no problem but if you have them spot a container make darn sure someone picks up the empty one and disposes of it properly
    Yes^^^ Its cleaned up occasionaly, I guess by the those that do the drops at Jo Mary Rd, but neverthrless trash builds here. Too many times I've observed ATers assuming it was AOK to leave their trash here in trees. Its not a garbage dump! Three of us ripped into two a holes who thought that was OK.

++ New Posts ++