WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Given up on size 13 boots.

I bought size 13 boots about 3 years ago. As there was nothing in store to fit at my preferred size of 12 1/2.

I have hiked about 200 miles in them.
    They are still giving me heel blisters.

Time for a new pair.

Is there any store that carries the 12 1/2 so I could go in and try them on?

Quote Originally Posted by Longboysfan View Post
    I bought size 13 boots about 3 years ago. As there was nothing in store to fit at my preferred size of 12 1/2.

I have hiked about 200 miles in them.
    They are still giving me heel blisters.

Time for a new pair.

Is there any store that carries the 12 1/2 so I could go in and try them on?
    Most companies only make full sizes after size 12. What company are you interested in? Check their manufacturer website and see if they even make a size 12.5. Also, try on size 13 in lots of different brands as each company will fit totally different.

New Balance tends to be on the small size so you might want try one of their 13s plus they offer 4E in some models.

A good boot fitter might be able to fit you correctly. Many folks go up in size to get width and then end up that the lacing and tongue will not keep their foot far enough back in the boots leading to heel blisters. I need very wide boots including steel toes and the solution in the past was to go up to size 14 and then put in a thick insert and glue a tapered pad on under the tongue to force my foot back towards the heel. I make my own tongue pad out of closed cell foam cut on my bandsaw and shaped with rasp but years ago I think Red Wing sold them. If I buy the NBs in 4E I don't need to do that as they have enough width. The bummer is they are slowly reducing the models made in 4 E so when I replaced my winter boots last year I had to go up to 14 and do the tongue pad trick.

Do you know which boot you desire? If so, do you have an REI near you? Get online to REI....see if that boot shows in the "size drop down" for the model you are after and the 12.5 size. If it does, order it and have is shipped to the REI. Then, just go in, try it on....no fit? Tell them to send it back and get the full refund. You could have it shipped home also.

And adding onto the above post...if you have a New Balance store near you....go in. Tell them what you are trying to do. They only carry NB and so have lots of models and sizes. They can help fit and order in any size NB makes and they don't have "in the back".
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Do you know which boot you desire? If so, do you have an REI near you? Get online to REI....see if that boot shows in the "size drop down" for the model you are after and the 12.5 size. If it does, order it and have is shipped to the REI. Then, just go in, try it on....no fit? Tell them to send it back and get the full refund. You could have it shipped home also.

And adding onto the above post...if you have a New Balance store near you....go in. Tell them what you are trying to do. They only carry NB and so have lots of models and sizes. They can help fit and order in any size NB makes and they don't have "in the back".
    Did that - REI does not have them.

Only up to size 12.

Something's not right.
    Going larger cured blisters on my feet. For decades and many pairs of hiking foot wear I always measured size 9. I always got heel blisters and/or black toenails. I finally went to a size 9 1/2. No heel blisters. No black toenails.
    You would need a size 14 or try a 13 wide. Have you tried moleskin on cushioned socks?
    Good luck.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Most often its advised to size up 1/2 to one size and if needed tweak fit. Rather easy to address if in all other ways you like the brand and model shoe but it isn't offered in 1/2 sizes.

How are you lacing? I’ve never had a blister on my heal using lock lace...never use boots though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool

REI. Mens Footwear. Size 13, 13.5 & 14. Regular and wide. The Lowa and Zamberlain models look good.
    https://www.rei.com/c/mens-footwear?...Amens-footwear

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Something's not right.
    Going larger cured blisters on my feet. For decades and many pairs of hiking foot wear I always measured size 9. I always got heel blisters and/or black toenails. I finally went to a size 9 1/2. No heel blisters. No black toenails.
    You would need a size 14 or try a 13 wide. Have you tried moleskin on cushioned socks?
    Good luck.
    Wayne
    I use moleskin and tape most every time now.
    Over 200 miles on boots - still not broken in.

Try a different brand and size. Baffled.
    The most comfortable boots I’ve used were size 10 Fabiano Rios. A full size larger than I thought I needed. Butter soft leather inside and out. Naturally they are long gone.
    Wayne

-

I gave up on all boots - last 10 years all hiking in all seasons in mesh running shoes - will never go back

Images

I had a heel blister once, and that was with trail runners. The issue was the fit of the innersole to the shoe. There was a rough edge created and it made one heck of a blister. The interesting part was that used 5 pairs of those shoes on my thru hike, three of one size and two of a smaller size. It was only the smaller size that had that problem. Sooooo, it could be something as simple as tracing exactly where the contact point is causing the issue.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Well. I need boots as I tore my ligament in my left foot and need the higher boots for support so as not to twist and turn my ankle.
    I also like the bottom stiffness for my sole.

++ New Posts ++